What is your Pet Peeve

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
People who back into parking spaces in parking lots. Double pet peeve if the lot has angled parking in one-way aisles.

I hate waiting for people to slowly back into a space when aisles are a lot wider and faster to back into than a parking space.

I agree if there is someone waiting behind me. If I'm not holding anyone up, I will back into a spot every time (except for angled parking). Leaving a grocery store, crowded soccer field or movie theater where kids are prevalent, it's safer than backing up.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Golfers who look for their lost balls for more than a minute or two. It went into the woods. Let it go.

Tailgaters when traffic is slow and there is nothing you can do about it.

Drivers that roll through stop signs and don't look both ways for pedestrians or bikers.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I always assume that if someone won't turn right on red, they drive a mini van. Just a prediction. He may or may not. It was just a guess.

I'll turn right when I can actually see if it's safe. Took an Uber this winter through the same interaction and the view left was 100% blocked by huge snow piles. Uber driver watched a few cars buzzing by at 60 mph that you couldn't see until they were in the intersection and said "I can't see to turn right here at all!"

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
People who back into parking spaces in parking lots. Double pet peeve if the lot has angled parking in one-way aisles.

I hate waiting for people to slowly back into a space when aisles are a lot wider and faster to back into than a parking space.
People who even when they drive a small car can't figure out how to pull correctly into an angle parking space in a full lot or ramp. They end up going across the lines and making perfectly good parking spaces next to them practically unusable. "Hey, idiot, if that guy in the monster truck next to you can figure out how to get his mammoth vehicle into the space you can get your damned Prius in there without taking up two spaces."

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
I agree if there is someone waiting behind me. If I'm not holding anyone up, I will back into a spot every time (except for angled parking). Leaving a grocery store, crowded soccer field or movie theater where kids are prevalent, it's safer than backing up.

Pull through. Quicker and easier than backing in and provides the same result (front of the vehicle on the aisle so you just have to drive out of the spot).

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

I always back into parking spots. It's easier to back into, safer when leaving. I drive a crew cab truck and I bet I can back it into a spot quicker than most people pull into a spot with their Honda Accord.

I'll give ya the angled spot thing, thats dumb.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I just have no tolerance for lying and cheating, just in general. Can't say I want this as a pet peeve because there is so much lying and cheating in this world. But it really irritates me. It probably developed when my first wife started dating again (we were still married).

• Friendly
Reactions: Cyched

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
The drivers in this thread must have a lot of road rage and drive well over the speed limit.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Also, People who don't turn right on red. Why. Just go. It's clear.
This one confounds me. Is it still illegal in some states?

People who walk through the store entry and then stop to look around and decide where to go while I'm stuck in the entry.
Andy Rooney -- love him or hate him -- did a whole segment on this many years back. People who stop right after walking through a door, or get off an escalator or elevator. It was hilarious.

One of mine is people who don't use cruise control on the open road. I'll be going along with the cruise dialed in and the same car will speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down and then look at me like I'm the one being weird.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Regarding the right turn on red, some intersections it is illegal. I got a camera ticket when making a right turn on red when I couldn't. That makes me a little more tentative when making a right turn on red.

My employer encourages backing into parking spots because they think it is safer.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I always back into parking spots. It's easier to back into, safer when leaving. I drive a crew cab truck and I bet I can back it into a spot quicker than most people pull into a spot with their Honda Accord.

I agree, backing into a parking space allows you to see all around you as you are backing. Then pulling out forward you can also see everything. So it minimizes the risk (as an insurance claim adjuster, I am all about safety and reducing risk).

If you park front first, then you are backing out with an obstructed view if there is a car, truck or minivan on each side of you. Higher risk.

• Agree
Reactions: NickTheGreat

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
1) Left lane highway drivers
2) People who block the right turn lane at an intersection on a multi-lane street when they could have gotten into the left lane to go straight. Sometimes it's unavoidable but 98% of them are just unaware, stupid drivers. The line of 20 cars behind them doesn't phase them.

3) People that will not use their freaking turn signals.