2 Breweries to open downtown (DSM) in 2019

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
The head brewer from Big Grove Brewery in Iowa City is moving to Des Moines to open brewery/tavern near Sherman Hill.

http://iowabeerblog.blogspot.com/20...brewery-but-its.html?m=1#.XAtFc6PP1Q8.twitter

1717 Brewery on E Court Avenue should be opening before too long (they were supposed to open this fall):

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...aproom-brews-drinking-east-village/872901002/

I worked with one of the brothers who will be running 1717. Cool dude. Left his desk job to pour everything into the brewery. He actually brought me a couple growlers of his home brew on a couple occasions. I highly recommended they make it a bicycle friendly venue, ha ha! Can’t wait to visit!

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I worked with one of the brothers who will be running 1717. Cool dude. Left his desk job to pour everything into the brewery. He actually brought me a couple growlers of his home brew on a couple occasions. I highly recommended they make it a bicycle friendly venue, ha ha! Can’t wait to visit!

The place still isn't open. Any idea what is with the holdup?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I hope they're not Des Moines next Black Hollow. Greatest non-existent brewery merch of any existing or non-existing brewery.

Would it be illegal to invent a totally fake company just to sell its merch? In great at the marketing/creative not so much on actually owning a brewing/whatever business.

Nobody take this but I had an idea for a brewery that was all based on soda and poop. So Id have like:

Mountain Poo Brown Ale
Dr Pooper dark ipa
Orange Push blood orange infused lager
Etc.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Would it be illegal to invent a totally fake company just to sell its merch? In great at the marketing/creative not so much on actually owning a brewing/whatever business.

Nobody take this but I had an idea for a brewery that was all based on soda and poop. So Id have like:

Mountain Poo Brown Ale
Dr Pooper dark ipa
Orange Push blood orange infused lager
Etc.

742013a2-f873-43e4-a053-fb10d1f0ba2c-297x300.jpg

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
have to wonder when it will start to become too saturated of a market?? But at the same time who can complain about more local beer??

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
have to wonder when it will start to become too saturated of a market?? But at the same time who can complain about more local beer??
Confluence, Firetrucker, Peacetree, and Exile have zero to worry about.
I wonder about Fox, Madhouse, Brightside.
I dont get why anyone would go to Fox when The Hall is next door.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Like it was said before me, confluence, Exile, Peacetree have nothing to worry about. They’re all too popular to fail around here now. Always welcome new breweries and new ideas though! Competitive market is always a good market.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I always root for the new guy on the block but it’s hard to get me away from Barntown; I love their creativity.

• Agree
Reactions: GoodyISU1

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Confluence, Firetrucker, Peacetree, and Exile have zero to worry about.
I wonder about Fox, Madhouse, Brightside.
I dont get why anyone would go to Fox when The Hall is next door.

Madhouse is fine. They've found their niche - their barrel aged stuff and sours are extremely well thought of (and are extremely well done). Ditching their old brands was a great move.

I've never had Brightside, but I know folks on that side of town who are fans (and they also know beer). I don't know if that's a universal sentiment or not.

I've never heard anything positive about Fox. Surprised they're still around.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron