Jalen Suggs info (recruiting)

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...VqdT3Q3bbt0GJj7X5P53ea1YzrIoLjUc6rRbp3RBJV_Zs

"Iowa State remains in contention for five-star combo guard Jalen Suggs. Based on my conversation with him, the football team intrigues him. One of his best friends, safety Craig McDonald, recently committed to Iowa State. Suggs is still considering playing both sports in college, and he said Cyclones coaches told him they'd let him play football, too. (Most high-majors seriously pursuing Suggs are saying the same thing.)"

IaState2021

Apr 19, 2019
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...VqdT3Q3bbt0GJj7X5P53ea1YzrIoLjUc6rRbp3RBJV_Zs

"Iowa State remains in contention for five-star combo guard Jalen Suggs. Based on my conversation with him, the football team intrigues him. One of his best friends, safety Craig McDonald, recently committed to Iowa State. Suggs is still considering playing both sports in college, and he said Cyclones coaches told him they'd let him play football, too. (Most high-majors seriously pursuing Suggs are saying the same thing.)"
Really? I feel like it would be too much of a time commitment to play both Football and basketball.

Edit: Interesting he's also a 4 star QB
https://usatodayhss.com/2018/video-...uit-and-he-could-play-either-sport-in-college

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Really? I feel like it would be too much of a time commitment to play both Football and basketball.

Edit: Interesting he's also a 4 star QB
https://usatodayhss.com/2018/video-...uit-and-he-could-play-either-sport-in-college

Some guys are able to handle. Obviously their skill level has to be off the charts because they will trade off development of each of their games considering they're not specializing.

Ultimately he may give both a try, and decide to just play one after a season or so, depending on which he likes more or has the most pro potential.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
With a football/basketball combination, I was curious about how that breaks with the teams chasing him. The schools listed as "warm" for him on 247 are:

Gonzaga
Florida
Georgetown
Kansas
Marquette
Minnesota
West Virginia

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Jalen-Suggs-98260/RecruitInterests/

Clearly, that's a disadvantage for Gonzaga, Georgetown and Marquette, and of the remaining, I think it could be argued that we have the best (or at least, one of the best) combination of programs.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Guys manage to do it in high school.

You would think one sport would serve as cross-training for the other.

A lot of the "sundry" students attached to the athletics program (e.g., band members, dance squad, cheerleaders, athletic trainers, student managers, etc.) put in the same time that the athletes themselves do yet manage to do it over multiple seasons.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
With a football/basketball combination, I was curious about how that breaks with the teams chasing him. The schools listed as "warm" for him on 247 are:

Gonzaga
Florida
Georgetown
Kansas
Marquette
Minnesota
West Virginia

Clearly, that's a disadvantage for Gonzaga, Georgetown and Marquette, and of the remaining, I think it could be argued that we have the best (or at least, one of the best) combination of programs.

Campbell and Prohm recruiting a guy is like the most wholesome image ever.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I'm always curious as to how that works. Would he miss the entire non-conference basketball season every year? If we play in a bowl game, he wouldn't join the team util January. It seems like it would be halfway through conference play before he even gets incorporated into the line up and develops chemistry with the rest of the team.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm always curious as to how that works. Would he miss the entire non-conference basketball season every year? If we play in a bowl game, he wouldn't join the team util January. It seems like it would be halfway through conference play before he even gets incorporated into the line up and develops chemistry with the rest of the team.

I'm cool with that.

• Agree
Reactions: NATEizKING and Doc

IaState2021

Apr 19, 2019

A lot of the "sundry" students attached to the athletics program (e.g., band members, dance squad, cheerleaders, athletic trainers, student managers, etc.) put in the same time that the athletes themselves do yet manage to do it over multiple seasons.
It's much more of a commitment in college than high school. I'm friends with a player on the fb team and he really doesn't have much/any free time during the season. I could see someone doing both football and track but football season slips into basketball season. So either he'd miss the end of the football season or miss some non-conference basketball games.

I'd love to get this kid, but I don't know how realistic it is to play both sports at this level.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'd love to see a video of these coaches watching the game together and interacting with each other and the fans around them. Prohm would certainly stand out as a humble, nice guy in the midst of the crowd of arrogance and self-centeredness of most of the blue blood head coaches.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

It’s been a few years, but I’m pretty confident that the sums of the band hours that I put in for four years of football and basketball MIGHT equal one season of being on the team.

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008

Gonzaga
Florida
Georgetown
Kansas
Marquette
Minnesota
West Virginia

Kansas has a football team?

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL

Comparing practice/travel/schedule/anything regimes from D1 to HS is not even in the same ballpark.

D1 football and track are much easier to accomplish than a crossover winter sport like basketball.

It can be done, but will be splitting quite a bit of time between the two.
Basketball practice begins after football has only played about 1/3 of the season. And football season ends after basketball has played about 1/3 of its season.

Help Support Us

Become a patron