Tamin Lipsey recruiting thread

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
5 years max, probably 3 or 4 IMO

That 3 to 4 year mark is when recruiting HS kids got tougher and tougher for Fred. After the MM and MT class, things got bad and I assume it has a ton to do with uncertainty of him being the head coach for much longer. Nebraska is already at a disadvantage because they are a crappy program.

• Winner
Reactions: jsb

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Wow! So basically, he's not coaching at college after this stop, but NBA is very much on the table. Keep an eye out for a Minnesota Timberwolves opening or Indiana Pacers opening in 2021 and he's gone.
Imo it’s doubtful he is high on any NBA wishlists, even if successful at Nebraska, but maybe the Timberwolves give him a home team discount.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
That 3 to 4 year mark is when recruiting HS kids got tougher and tougher for Fred. After the MM and MT class, things got bad and I assume it has a ton to do with uncertainty of him being the head coach for much longer. Nebraska is already at a disadvantage because they are a crappy program.

A lot of the recruiting woes are tied to the NBA talk, but not having TJ probably contributed to that as well. Can Fred recruit consistently without TJ? Not so sure. Next year is going to be rough for Nebraska. They lose a ton off a bad team. If Roby doesn't come back they will have nothing. It will make the talent Fred took over when he came to ISU look like 1990 UNLV. It's going to be tough getting good grad transfers next year. It seems like the good grad transfers go where they have a chance to be the missing piece on an otherwise complete team. NU is going to have a lot of holes to fill.

A turnaround like that needs a catalyst. Royce was his catalyst here, and things took off from there. It clearly took good recruiting and coaching to get Royce here, but a 5 star kid that needed to get out of Minneapolis, but had a kid there and wanted to stay close to home was pretty fortuitous for ISU. I'm sure Fred still would've been successful at ISU, but I think getting Royce here and winning in year 2, and doing it with creative use of a player like Royce accelerated the rebuild.

• Agree
Reactions: CySmurf and Stewo

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If you look at Fred's buyout, you'll see that there's a really good chance he's there for the long haul.

No. The nba buyout is low. Not as low as with us but low.

clone1990

Apr 14, 2008
Wouldn't it be a nice change to hear a kid say, "I grew up a die-hard Cyclone fan and I'm going to ISU"......Seriously, if we can't land this kid.......i'll bite my tongue for now....agggghhhhh!!!
Agreed. Like Lazard did, but it is few and far between.

• Agree
Reactions: allfourcy

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Being a Cyclone fan my entire life I never thought there would come a day where I read something that makes me think to myself, "**** off Fred". But here we are.

Saturday morning the Lincoln ESPN radio guys interviewed Doc Sadler. He said Fred would do well at NU partly because he knows all the Iowa HS coaches so he can get the best players from Iowa every year. Also Minnesota he has a lot of contacts. Now I see Sadler may join Fred as an assistant. So Fred is totally competing directly against our best interests. #$+* you Fred!

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: STLISU and Brandon

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Saturday morning the Lincoln ESPN radio guys interviewed Doc Sadler. He said Fred would do well at NU partly because he knows all the Iowa HS coaches so he can get the best players from Iowa every year. Also Minnesota he has a lot of contacts. Now I see Sadler may join Fred as an assistant. So Fred is totally competing directly against our best interests. #$+* you Fred!

So nothing has changed from when he was at ISU and how many Iowa and Minnesota players did he sign? That's right.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa

I think Freddy managed to pull a total of one HS kid from both Iowa and Minnesota combined. Any guesses as to who that was? If you said Brady Ernst, you'd be correct!

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Were there any Iowa HS kids we actually wanted for potential impact/starting roles during Fred's tenure? All I can think of is Jok.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I would think if Lipsey improves as one would think, LOTS of offers will roll in and unless it's about Fred, I wouldn't be as worried (as we also know Prohm has a good guard reputation).

Interesting thing....Lipsey's AAU coach is Lefty Moore. Remember...the one Fred brought on to staff...but then had to let go because he made contact with Peter Jok at an AAU tourney? Not sure how close they are, but certainly if Lefty is pals with Fred, could be an influence.

But, again, I would hope that hometown/ISU guard play outweighs playing for Fred in NB.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron