Iowa State Daily article about Prohm and LW

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
First of all, I highly doubt CSP and his staff are worried about showcasing Wigginton's skills for NBA scouts. That's more of a distraction than anything else.

Second, after the injury, the rotation had been established. Most coaches don't like messing with rotations, particularly when the team is playing well (as they were in December and early January).

Third, is Marner some sort of relation to Wigginton? He almost makes it sound like CSP was intentionally destroying Wigginton's draft stock.

CSP has to run his team the way he thinks it needs to be run. Armchair coach all you want....but you're not getting paid a lot of money to achieve results.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
For an article by an undergraduate, this guy sounds like a dinosaur.

"Wigginton should have played more!"

He played more minutes than Horton-Tucker in the Big 12. He played a lot more minutes in Kansas City and the game in Tulsa. What more do you want?

THT was streaky as heck on the offensive end, but Prohm was quick about yanking him if he was not feeling it that night. Seeing what you have with your streakiest guy early on any given night is good information to have. THT at least tried to keep guys in front of him and could match up with bigger guys, though. Wigginton got blown by constantly.

The only statistical evidence on offer are volume metrics and scoring. Come on, KenPom is cheap, and Barttorvik has basically the same stuff for free. Do your homework.

Who goes to the bench in his stead?

Nick? ...your fifth-year senior and a very good college PG, when nobody else proved they could run the offense, especially Lindell? nope

NWB career ATR = 358/138 = 2.59
Wigginton career ATR = 141/141 = 1.00

Who do you want playing PG again?

Haliburton? ...your best shooter, best passer, and an excellent perimeter defender? nope... plus, bad idea to have three volume chuckers on the floor at once

Haliburton freshman ATR = 125/28 = 4.46
Morris freshman ATR = 134/28 = 4.79

Shayok? ...the guy was first-team all-Big 12 for a reason... if volume scoring is all you care about, Shayok had it, and he was more efficient than LW or THT... the guy had a very legitimate shot at conference player of the year if we did not have our slump in Feburary

Shayok and Wigginton both had a usage of 26.9%
Shayok had an offensive rating of 111.9, Wigginton was 107.2

Horton-Tucker? ...already been over this, Wigginton played more than him in the Big 12 by minutes, even if THT was a better defender but less consistent on offense... I know "starter" confers status, but Wigginton was ahead of him in the rotation by minutes

The idea that the lineup or rotations were grossly mismanaged this season somehow is laughable. Trying to have three volume wings out there at once would have been a bad idea, and Prohm made the smart decision of going with Shayok and one of Wigginton or Horton-Tucker, riding the hot hand on any given night. We lost because of flaws in the roster, the defensive slump/loss of team cohesiveness in February, and the simple randomness that can happen in college basketball, not because the wrong guys were on the court to any significant degree.

We had our best men out there on any given night.

I really hate this "Iowa's best player is always their backup QB" kind of stuff.

Bravo

• Friendly
Reactions: Sigmapolis

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Yeah. Should have benched this ******* back in 2001.

1014_FL-Tom-Brady-TAG-Heuer-03_1200x1615.jpg

#teamdrew

Man, I hate the Patriots.
I see your point but Tom also got his job back when Jimmy G was playing well. Wentz got his job back after Foles won a SB. I just think it sends the right message to the players.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
It was an intellectually shallow hit piece that does not delve deeper than "very talented player coming off the bench when he should have started", without going into any of the reasons why that happened.
I agree. While is was happening, I thought CSP handled the overall situation well. Very tough situation. We were playing great team ball without Wigg or Lard. Appeared to be great chemistry. I think everyone knew that too reach our ceiling we needed a good Wigg and Lard, and I know I wondered how it would impact chemistry. Lard was a train wreak, enough on him. Wigg is a fabulous athlete and very capable at manufacturing shots, something we needed badly. But, especially early after his return, he seemed out of control. His passing was bad, I used to scream at the TV, shoot it, do not turn it over with a pass! He just never seemed to get in sync. Some people argue that’s because he needed to start. I kind of doubt that would have helped. In this case, I am not sure hindsight is 20/20. I do not know if he should have been handled differently. My gut says CSP tried to do what he thought was the best for the TEAM. Did it work out? I cannot even answer that question. During B12 tourney - yes. During ncaa - no. Season as a whole - ?.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I didn't read but Marner is a weird dude. I had to unfollow him on twitter to avoid the weirdness.

That said, I bet I'd agree with some of what he said and disagree with some. The season is over and I don't read any articles about a season that is over. Literally.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Agree with this. Think it sends the wrong message.
I think it also sends a bad message to the team that you get to start even though you are the most explosive athlete on the court but can't stay in front if anybody on the defensive end.
I would've been fine with LW starting over THT but LW getting starter minutes from the bench isn't some travesty.
He played played big minutes had the ball a lot and had a green light.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Wigginton (and THT) were so hot and cold. They hurt us nearly as much as they helped throughout the season. Also, people need to move past the idea that ISU was "the most talented team in the Big 12" crap. We weren't the most talented, but we did have some high ceiling guys. Talent should be defined as the ability to play a consistent high level. Shayok and probably TH were far and away the most consistent throughout the season. Two guys playing at a high level most every night isn't good enough and that's what we saw this season.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
For an article by an undergraduate, this guy sounds like a dinosaur. "Wigginton should have played more!"
.....THT was streaky as heck on the offensive end, but Prohm was quick about yanking him if he was not feeling it that night...

I think the writer was spot on with his premise that CSP stuck to the pattern vs. going with the flow of
the game. Wiggy came in at the 14 minute mark both halves regardless of how bad the the NBA audition ball was going with THT. When THT came out cold in the tOSU game, Prohm was not "quick about yanking him", he stuck to the pattern in both halves.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Here's a thought-- if Wigginton wasn't playing up to his potential, as many here seem to think, isn't it a coaches job to try to do something to reverse that? Lindell is obviously talented. Maybe some of his struggles were due to his coming off the bench. Some people are great at providing that off the bench energy role, some aren't. So why didn't he at least try a different approach at some point with Wiggy in hopes of getting him going?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I saw Lindell make a lot of good plays getting fouled and creating shots, but I also saw a whole heck of a lot of out of control plays too that resulted in a bad shot or turnover. Lots of people forget how good our record was when he started coming back and how we'd found an identity.

Reactions: CyFanAZ

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
While I disagree with the article for the most part, it is hilarious to read all of the criticism of it here given all of the posters who said the exact same thing all season long.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I saw Lindell make a lot of good plays getting fouled and creating shots, but I also saw a whole heck of a lot of out of control plays too that resulted in a bad shot or turnover. Lots of people forget how good our record was when he started coming back and how we'd found an identity.

I find this comment comical. Lindell's return just so happened to coincide with the start to Big 12 play. The pre-Lindell team would have won 5-6 Big 12 games. The pre-Lindell team lost to a very bad Arizona team and beat very bad Illinois and SDSU teams. It then beat up on a bunch of no-names. So let's consider the competition a bit before suggesting the pre-Lindell squad was better.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Prohm was far from perfect this year in managing this team. Lard and Wigginton struggled with consistency on at least one end of the floor. I think the best we played was Nov-Jan so I see why he did what he did.

Also it would have been hard to forecast Haliburton and THT completely falling off the map at the end of the year.

Hopefully Prohm and the team will learn from this year and be better in the future as a result.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I wonder how long we'll do this. My guess is well into next season.

I do think the article is somewhat comical given Prohm basically admitted as much. He's on record with Travis Hines basically saying he's second-guessed himself for his handling of LW. But it is what it is, and there's no way to know if a different approach would have helped.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I personally have been on both sides of this discussion trying to think my way through it. The only real criticism I have is I think he should have put Lindell into the game sooner when we often started out stagnant in the 2nd half. Always waiting till we were past the first media timeout seemed arbitrary and extended our scoring droughts.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Here's a thought-- if Wigginton wasn't playing up to his potential, as many here seem to think, isn't it a coaches job to try to do something to reverse that? Lindell is obviously talented. Maybe some of his struggles were due to his coming off the bench. Some people are great at providing that off the bench energy role, some aren't. So why didn't he at least try a different approach at some point with Wiggy in hopes of getting him going?

I know nothing about Wigginton's ability to be coached, but you cannot simply place blame on Prohm for LW's shortcomings because we don't have all of the details. If LW wasn't going to listen and really, fully accept his role then that would be on him and no one else.