Hoiberg to Huskers

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa
I can't believe there is any way he would go there, but if he does he's dead to me.

giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: NorthCyd

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Who never won the Big 12 or made it past the Sweet Sixteen.

Hoiberg's ghost ain't MJ's ghost. Prohm will be fine if folks settle down and let him.

agreed. if youre fred this is a dream job. sort of a sleeping giant. win a few NCAA games and they'll name the arena after him. I'm over it. it hurt when he bolted for Chicago. now, I couldnt care less.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
Nebraska is where head coaches go to become assistant coaches. Nebraska isn’t and hasn’t ever been a stepping stone job. Name one coach that has left on their own to pursue a better job. Nebraska has never won an NCAA tournament game. Fred can do and deserves better.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Agreed, it's just the vocal-minority of Hoiberg fan boys that make it annoying.

I don't get the personal animosity, but I also don't get trying to shame people into wishing success either. If Fred is moderately successful at Neb - say make the tourney every couple of years, maybe win a tourney game or two every few years, there's a good chance that has a little impact on ISU. Even then he may be able to bolt to the NBA again, certainly if he's wildly successful.

My view is that I want ISU bball to win, period. Fred being successful at NU probably has some negative impact on ISU, as would Minnesota or Mizzou. The impact is less than that of another Big12 team, and less than that of Iowa. For that reason I'd prefer he lose there. Nothing personal, but NU sucking is better for ISU.

As for the "Fred's done more than anyone for ISU" strategy in shaming people that are bitter, I'd say first, Fred got a good power conference job when he was not sniffing a mid-major or probably even low major job. He got the raises when he wanted them, there was no hometown discount. It was a great, mutually beneficial transaction. Fred doesn't owe ISU anything and ISU doesn't owe Fred anything. Both came out really well in that relationship.

Second, while of course Fred has done more for ISU than some individual fan, but I think that's a dumb argument. If we take the aggregate of the tens of thousands of fans that don't like the prospect of him winning at NU and it's potential impact on ISU, and look at their donations, ticket sales, merchandise purchases, tuition often over decades and multiple generations, I'd say that aggregate of fans that represent ISU in this situation, have done more for ISU than Fred. So if they want to be pissed about it, that's their business. Fred feeling like NU is the best fit for him and his family given other opportunities available (maybe there weren't other great options available?) that's his business.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Nebraska has never won an NCAA tournament game. Fred can do and deserves better.
Never winning a tournament game is a major hole in a program's resume, but they are far from a terrible program. At present time, I'd say they're better than Illinois, NW, Penn St, and Rutgers in the big 10.

Also, just look at the previous Nebraska basketball hires. Surprisingly they've only had 4 since 1986. Danny Nee, Barry Collier, Doc Sadler, and Tim Miles. Nee was actually decent, but Collier, Sadler, and Miles are the exact opposite of Fred. They've never had a guy like Fred.

If Fred can get them back to the tournament, and win a game, Fred will be legend in Lincoln, and he'll gets tons of national pub.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Cydkar and Lineup

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
Never winning a tournament game is a major hole in a program's resume, but they are far from a terrible program. At present time, I'd say they're better than Illinois, NW, Penn St, and Rutgers in the big 10.

Also, just look at the previous Nebraska basketball hires. Surprisingly they've only had 4 since 1986. Danny Nee, Barry Collier, Doc Sadler, and Tim Miles. Nee was actually decent, but Collier, Sadler, and Miles are the exact opposite of Fred. They've never had a guy like Fred.

If Fred can get them back to the tournament, and win a game, Fred will be legend in Lincoln, and he'll gets tons of national pub.

I agree....they're not completely terrible. Overall record is 1,477-1,337 (.525). They never have really been a cellar dweller in any league they've been in, they just kinda hang around the 7-10 spot most of the time. And for whatever reason, just can't get over that NCAA hump. They've been as high as a #3 seed and still don't have that win.

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames

You mention some real stalwarts of college basketball. PSU, Illinois, NW and Rutgers. I would hope they were better than these doormats. I think the key word in your response is “If”. Back to the tournament and win a game? Pretty low bar.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
You mention some real stalwarts of college basketball. PSU, Illinois, NW and Rutgers. I would hope they were better than these doormats. I think the key word in your response is “If”. Back to the tournament and win a game? Pretty low bar.

Yes. Exactly. He does that, he's a legend in Lincoln. Another option would be to go to washed up UCLA. Where he'll be run out for not going to a final 4 in his first 3 years.

Help Support Us

Become a patron