It's official: Tool is in the studio

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I was at that concert. I don't specifically recall the opening band being booed, but it has happened at every Tool show I've been to so I wouldn't be surprised. Also, Maynard almost always performs facing away from the crowd, at the back of the stage, dressed up so you can barely tell it is him, etc.

Very interesting. Thanks for confirming that my memory isn't as bad as I thought!

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
This is pretty normal Maynard. I've seen TOOL, APC, Puscifer probably 10-12 times combined. For a lot of people, he is TOOL, APC, Puscifer and in his mind, that takes the focus off of the rest of the band or even off of the music. Turn around, take yourself away from the stage, you are no longer the focal point.
Yeah he performs from the back of the stage a lot or at least he use to. Wasn't uncommon for him to spend most of a show behind a curtain back in the 90s.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Saw Tool in CR for the 10,000 Days tour. Opening band was some unknown screaming Japanese thrash something or another. They were not appreciated by the crowd at all, and there was no bonus song encore by Tool. Always wondered if they just don't do encores, or if it was in response to the crowd dissing the opening band.
Tool put on a hell of a show that night but man that opener was so bad.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone06

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Maynard has always wanted to be just another part of the music, and not the front man. He has always hated the lime light, and songs like Aenima depict his disgust for society and Los Angeles in particular. Dude's incredibly peculiar and fascinating. He went to West Point ffs. Anyways he has always made it a point to be in the background, not just on stage and visually, but in the mix of the music as well. He wants to be just another instrument in Tool, like the guitar or the snare in the drums.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I think a lot of problems with Lyrics now are that these lead singers have a ton of side projects. So they have to come up with so much more and it waters down the lyrics. Corey Taylor has done a solid job so far even with the Stone Sour stuff. I think that is mostly because his bands are completely different. Maynard writes basically the same type of lyric for both bands. I love both bands and his singing but the last album did have a lot less cool lyrics.
Are you talking about Eat the Elephant or 10,000 Days? I think both had their moments of incredible songs/lyrics, but at the same time they both had some awful songs lyrically.

Great songs:
Jambi, Wings for Marie 1/2, Right in Two
Eat the Elephant, The Doomed, Delicious,

Awful lyrics:
The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Vicarious (not a fan of this one)
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish, The Contrarian, Get the Lead Out

If we're strictly talking TOOL, 10,000 Days as a whole is my least favorite TOOL album by a pretty wide margin.There are really only 6 songs (Vicarious, Jambi, Wings, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Intension>Right in Two). The mix is awful. You can hear Maynard's multiple vocal tracks aren't synched right on Jambi, same with the Pot. You actually hear the backing tracks before the actual vocals on the Pot. Rosetta Stoned is instrumentally incredible, but lyrically one of the worst songs Maynard has written, second to only the Pot. To me, it felt like they had to release an album per their contract, so they threw together some things they had been working on.

I could talk TOOL/Maynard all day, but at the end of it, I'm extremely excited for this new album. I think they actually put some time into it (13 years since 10,000 Days but they started recording this album just a year ago), at least from an instrumental standpoint. I hope Maynard's lyrics are more introspective instead of straight forward or simple. I hope it's heavy as hell and I hope it is long. Don't feed me 5 songs with 4 filler tracks and leave fans with that taste in their mouths as you ride off into the sunset.

I've said it on other posts, but TOOL has released an album every year I've had something major happen in my life. Every album has helped me cope, grow, move on, enjoy my experiences. I hope this album does the same and continues my love for TOOL instead of putting a cap on my fandom.

Reactions: Knownothing

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Are you talking about Eat the Elephant or 10,000 Days? I think both had their moments of incredible songs/lyrics, but at the same time they both had some awful songs lyrically.

Great songs:

Awful lyrics:

If we're strictly talking TOOL, 10,000 Days as a whole is my least favorite TOOL album by a pretty wide margin.There are really only 6 songs (Vicarious, Jambi, Wings, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Intension>Right in Two). The mix is awful. You can hear Maynard's multiple vocal tracks aren't synched right on Jambi, same with the Pot. You actually hear the backing tracks before the actual vocals on the Pot. Rosetta Stoned is instrumentally incredible, but lyrically one of the worst songs Maynard has written, second to only the Pot. To me, it felt like they had to release an album per their contract, so they threw together some things they had been working on.

I could talk TOOL/Maynard all day, but at the end of it, I'm extremely excited for this new album. I think they actually put some time into it (13 years since 10,000 Days but they started recording this album just a year ago), at least from an instrumental standpoint. I hope Maynard's lyrics are more introspective instead of straight forward or simple. I hope it's heavy as hell and I hope it is long. Don't feed me 5 songs with 4 filler tracks and leave fans with that taste in their mouths as you ride off into the sunset.

I've said it on other posts, but TOOL has released an album every year I've had something major happen in my life. Every album has helped me cope, grow, move on, enjoy my experiences. I hope this album does the same and continues my love for TOOL instead of putting a cap on my fandom.
While I can see your point about Rosetta Stoned, I absolutely love that song. I dig the deeper more interpretive stuff Maynard writes but appreciate something straight forward as well. Rosetta Stoned is up there with H, 46 &2, and Parabola as far as my favorites go but that list would probably wind up being really long if I thought about it enough.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I have a feeling Monday is going to be a good day for you guys
HardSaneIndri-size_restricted.gif

"You better not be foolin."

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
While I can see your point about Rosetta Stoned, I absolutely love that song. I dig the deeper more interpretive stuff Maynard writes but appreciate something straight forward as well. Rosetta Stoned is up there with H, 46 &2, and Parabola as far as my favorites go but that list would probably wind up being really long if I thought about it enough.
I agree. Rosetta Stoned is supposed to be a mind **** IMO, it may be crude, but this is Maynard we're talking about here. Just see any stage show with Pucifer. It's not a serious lyrical song, but I like that it's open to interpretation, and in the end he might have just been on acid, and never saw Aliens to begin with. That's the point though. Maynard likes saying things that he may not even believe but elicits an emotional response. Not to mention musically it's incredible. Took me forever to get that bass line down.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I agree. Rosetta Stoned is supposed to be a mind **** IMO, it may be crude, but this is Maynard we're talking about here. Just see any stage show with Pucifer. It's not a serious lyrical song, but I like that it's open to interpretation, and in the end he might have just been on acid, and never saw Aliens to begin with. That's the point though. Maynard likes saying things that he may not even believe but elicits an emotional response. Not to mention musically it's incredible. Took me forever to get that bass line down.
I mean, I totally get it. He goes out to the desert, does peyote, starts chanting, gets dropped off at a hospital because he's freaking out and thinks he's seen aliens. In many ways, it's no different from Third Eye. But to me Third Eye felt organic, almost as if he's guiding me through a trip. Rosetta Stoned is him reflecting on a bad trip. It's probably poking fun at everyone who thinks drugs magically make your music better, but here he is writing a song about ******** the bed because he didn't have anything to write with. It just doesn't seem like it fits into the same album where he sings about the death of his mother.

10,000 Days as a whole was a disjointed mess for me. I love the songs individually, but unlike every other TOOL album, I'm not listening from start to finish. The instrumentals are some of their best, but as a project, it just doesn't to it for me the same way Ænima or Lateralus did.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Great songs:

Awful lyrics:

Have you ever listened to these with your mind opened up trying to kiss the sky?

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Funny nobody likes 10,000 days, I love that album. Sure there's filler but Aenima is the same.
The difference to me is the purpose of the filler. Ænima's filler fit in with the album or didn't take up 6 minutes in the middle of an album the way Lipan Conjuring or Lost Keys does. Useful Idiot transitions pretty cleanly from H. and into Forty Six & 2, Intermission is levity before talking about how ****** Maynard's home life was on Jimmy, Cesario Summability is a storm metaphorically cleansing the world, leading into Ænema, (-) Ions negative ion's can supposedly make you happy and whatever those hippies do with their salt lights, it's a pick me up after destruction and before going on the trip of Third eye.

Harry Manback? Skip it every time. Die Eier von Satan is literally just TOOL ******* around. Maybe it's more levity after Jimmy and before Pushit, but who knows.

Lipan Conjuring and Lost Keys, while they set up Rosetta Stoned, just waste so much time. It almost feels like a separate album from Lipan through the end.

Look at all these pretentious TOOL fans. ******' losers.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Yeah I probably should have clarified that straight forward meant as straight forward as it gets with Maynard. Maybe he really was abducted because he was the chosen one or maybe he was just whacked out of his skull on acid. Even Maynard's simplest songs are open to interpretation and that's what makes Tool so great. Not to mention the insane musical ability of Adam, Justin, and Danny and Adam's artistic ability.

• Agree

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Not yet. Estimated release date per Maynard is May-July. TOOL is touring May - July so I would expect it to be May rather than later. The picture shows them in the mastering studio where the new album has been finalized or is in the process of being mastered.
So why has it taken 8 years? I admittedly haven't listened to them in years but enjoyed them in h.s.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
So why has it taken 8 years? I admittedly haven't listened to them in years but enjoyed them in h.s.
13 years. I think they grew up. Adam has a family. Maynard has a family, his winery, restaurants, and other bands. Maynard puts everything he's got into every project he's got. I don't think they really had any urgency. I'm sure they've played with ideas in the 13 years, but I think they probably realized the time they have as individuals left to create something is shrinking. Just my opinion.