***Official WV postgame thread***

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I too was surprised. For a defensive coach I am surprised at the lack of substituting when a player continually misses assignments. I'm of the old school that if you don't play defense you don't play. If you're in the game and play bad defense you don't play.

He's not a defensive coach. It's just on the list of things coaches say when they're hired or doing press outings.
McD used to talk about going uptempo, too. He wasn't going to do it, but people like to hear it.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Honestly, if our fanbase is going to be this crazy about basketball and compare each coach and team to Hoiberg's 5 tournament teams, than him being our head coach might not have been worth it. Beyond any criticism of Prohm and what is going on with the team since he has been here, I think a lot of the fanbase has never recovered to Fred leaving.

I havnt recovered from Fred leaving. I wish he was still here. I have thought in the past that Steve was a pretty good coach and a great recruiter. I don’t know what to think right now. This is weird.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
He's not a defensive coach. It's just on the list of things coaches say when they're hired or doing press outings.
McD used to talk about going uptempo, too. He wasn't going to do it, but people like to hear it.

Funny thing is, he now does actually play uptempo.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I havnt recovered from Fred leaving....

I've recovered from Fred leaving for the Bulls.
I still haven't gotten over, however, that he
wanted to coach the Gophers over his alma mater. My problem, I know.

isubb79

Jul 16, 2009
Lol. If you're basing your claim of "most talented" on what a couple halftime analyst said back in January, and some commentators who can't pronounce the guys' name correctly, then that's on you.
I would say that Jay Williams and Seth Greenburg know a lot more about basketball and talent than at least 99% of the people that post on this board.

• Dislike
Reactions: bthebutcher

kcbob79clone

Our numbers earlier in the year would disagree with you. We were at one time Top 25 in both offensive and defensive efficiency. I also recall his defensive numbers at Murray State were also good.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Our numbers earlier in the year would disagree with you. We were at one time Top 25 in both offensive and defensive efficiency. I also recall his defensive numbers at Murray State were also good.

No they weren't. He one good year on defense and that was the year he took over after kennedy left so he had Kennedy's guys. They finished 20th in defensive efficiency. The next three years they finished 161, 182 and 173.

• Informative
Reactions: bthebutcher

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
I havnt recovered from Fred leaving. I wish he was still here. I have thought in the past that Steve was a pretty good coach and a great recruiter. I don’t know what to think right now. This is weird.
And honestly, that is fine to miss Fred. I'm just tired of dudes saying this wouldn't happen under Fred. I would guess a lot of the mess we are hearing about happened on the UAB team, we just never heard about it and their crazy comebacks covered up sloppy play.

But there were guys on reddit saying Pollard needs to fire Prohm to make sure we get Fred back. Like that is at all in the realm of possibility.

Reactions: Cat Stevens

isubb79

Jul 16, 2009
I think that is a good point. We have similar skill sets that aren't necessarily conducive to an overall TEAM concept (offensively). Offensively I don't think we do compliment each other, while I do think we have overall skills necessary to play better D as a team. TT seems to fill spots according to what TEAM needs. Also watch most TT games and see who Beard is most actively yelling at...Culver the star player. Everyone is accountable.
I'm not saying Prohm's players don't respect him but it is clear that Beard's players respect and listen to what they are told to do. There is no doubt who is in charge at Tech.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm not saying Prohm's players don't respect him but it is clear that Beard's players respect and listen to what they are told to do. There is no doubt who is in charge at Tech.

To me it's about repeating mistakes. The lack of rebounding is every game. Literally nothing about effort or technique looks different. The bad shot selection is every game. We still have THT taking about 4 step back 3s a game. Inability to guard the three, you guessed it, every game. So either he isn't coaching these things or the players aren't listening, but in either event it's not a good thing.

With Beard or Huggy, you see a guy do something wrong they are taken out, coached, and put back in. I'd venture to guess the repeat mistakes are less likely in that situation.

kcbob79clone

No they weren't. He one good year on defense and that was the year he took over after kennedy left so he had Kennedy's guys. They finished 20th in defensive efficiency. The next three years they finished 161, 182 and 173.

My memory isn't as good as the actual numbers, maybe I was remembering the first year. Did find it interesting that my source in 2012-2013 Season had Murray State 156 and Iowa State 158.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I would say that Jay Williams and Seth Greenburg know a lot more about basketball and talent than at least 99% of the people that post on this board.

If you are talking about possible future NBA players, an argument can be made that they have the most talent because Shayok could get picked this year and THT, Haliburton and Wigginton are all potential picks. However, that doesn't mean that they are actually good yet. Talent can simply mean they have potential. The three underclassman may have talent but they haven't come close to fully realizing that talent. They still have a lot of developing to do. Conditt has a lot of potential as well. But again, not fully realized. Plus I would argue that Kansas and Texas have just as much if not more talent than ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy and MartinCy

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
And wigs.

Yah but Wigs didn't really pop up on any of the mocks. I guess he could be saying he didn't see himself on the mocks so he had to take it upon himself to try to force his way on to them...

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
He has to be talking about THT, right? Him and Tyrese both popped up on those boards and he gives Tyrese credit for realizing he's still a ways off.

This is it and it starts at the top with CSP. He has to keep the kids focus on team and not the NBA. He has failed. Giving multiple suspensions to two players doesnt help the program when the young guys see what they can get away with.

Halliburton hurts the team by getting inside the free throw line, picking up his dribble and turning his back on the hoop to pass. No room for Jacey Holloways on this team

THT, tired of the trick shots and the english off the backboards. I get happy when the one goes in and then sad cause 5 more are coming. No need to re-hash the step back jumpers.

Babb, kid is a backup.

Wiggs, if you didnt see this coming with him you just didnt want to. Guy was option 1-2-3 last year on a bad team and told to score. He has teammates now but carries that same mentality.

Lewis, be surprised if he is here next year.

Conditt, I love the kid. Want him to get mo PT.

Jacobsen, Limited and needs to jump for rebounds but cares and gives you everything he has.

Griffin, are his knees glued together?

This team is done. They dont play together of for each other. You HAVE to blame the coach when something like this happens.