More Pac-12 Turmoil

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Why would either New Mexico school make more sense than Louisville or Cincinnati?
Point being none of those really make sense. I will say the New Mexico schools had pushed for a bid years ago, but failed too. None bring enough to the table. Cinci and Louisville were on top of the list and Louisville made it to the ACC yet has been a bit of a flop, and still not a great fit for the Big 12.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cytown12

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Point being none of those really make sense. I will say the New Mexico schools had pushed for a bid years ago, but failed too. None bring enough to the table. Cinci and Louisville were on top of the list and Louisville made it to the ACC yet has been a bit of a flop, and still not a great fit for the Big 12.

But you said they make more sense to you than Louisville or Cincy. I am curious what your reasons are.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
But you said they make more sense to you than Louisville or Cincy. I am curious what your reasons are.
Your original post said Houston, New Mexico and Co St. I was talking more the other 2. Houston makes more sense, marginally, then personally Ive always liked Co St better but really all of them have a lot of cons to them. with a few pros.
Honestly you throw that entire list I said plus these in a big bag of s#$t and pull one out and they are all the same to me really. The big gets are the 4 eastern PAC schools. Then yes you look at a few of these others, but a lot of the choice of the rest depends on who and if we get other schools.

jbclone10

Apr 11, 2008
Denver, CO
I don’t get the interest in Colorado State other than a great road trip. I’ve been there and really enjoyed the campus. That being said they will not deliver the Denver market. CU did not deliver the Denver market. It’s a small pro town market and the Broncos are the focus.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

Lol, Louisville hasn't been a flop. They were 12-6 and ranked in the Top 15 their first 3 years in the ACC with Pitino. Last year was a transition year but they look to be right around that ranking this year.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Lol, Louisville hasn't been a flop. They were 12-6 and ranked in the Top 15 their first 3 years in the ACC with Pitino. Last year was a transition year but they look to be right around that ranking this year.
In the big picture who cares about basketball?

Edit: In the big picture of conference realignment. Not as fans. For conference realignment basketball is not much of a factor.

Last edited:

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
You also have to think if AZ and AZst come, UT and CO might want to come too.

Then you have to also look at COst and NewMex/NewMexSt, and finally Utst and BoiseSt if you are looking to add a team or two more.

With all of this if WVU wants to go to ACC or SEC, you let em go and move our conference Westward if nothing else. If we have to take another Texas team like Houston, I think we require one to leave, IE BAYLOR.

Taking Colorado and Utah over USC and UCLA does not make a whole lot of sense.
There is like a 1 hour flight difference between Phoenix and LA

USC is the one football team you want from the PAC 12.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Houston, New Mexico, Colorado St will never make sense.

Houston isn’t any different than Baylor. Except they aren’t a criminal syndicate of rape and murder which makes them a significant upgrade. I only bring them up out of wishful thinking.

It’s not like I want to expand to 11 to add Houston and keep rape town.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Taking Colorado and Utah over USC and UCLA does not make a whole lot of sense.
There is like a 1 hour flight difference between Phoenix and LA

USC is the one football team you want from the PAC 12.
Yet everyone says geography matters. LOL people need to make up their minds. I dont think Geography matters one bit anymore. Its not like we take buses anyplace anymore. But yes I think anyone in the PAC is fair game, Although I think if you go all the way to the west coast you have a lot to look at, and then you look at taking AZ, AZst, USC, UCLA, Wash, Wash St, OR and OR ST. or some combination of those. Maybe 6 of them to put us at a 16 team conference or go with all 8 and jump the next round ahead of the SEC, ACC, B1G adds, to be the first at 18.
Frankly I think It would be funny to take all those and leave CO with the scraps.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Houston isn’t any different than Baylor. Except they aren’t a criminal syndicate of rape and murder which makes them a significant upgrade. I only bring them up out of wishful thinking.

It’s not like I want to expand to 11 to add Houston and keep rape town.

If Baylor were to be removed I would hope the conference would look outside of the state of Texas.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
If Baylor were to be removed I would hope the conference would look outside of the state of Texas.
While I agree, I think we all know the saying wish in one hand, s%@t in the other, see which one fills up first. I think we all know this conference is Texas heavy and they seem to want to keep it that way. Hopefully, the PAC continues to implode and we can look that way instead of going after G5 schools and other Texas schools.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Although it may not have made a difference either way for the current situation, does anyone think Pac-12 wishes it had stayed at 10 instead of expanding? Possible, too, ACC eventually could have some buyer's remorse.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
If Big 12 was able to pluck from the Pac and increase to 12 teams, I'd want USC & UCLA or Arizona and Arizona State, probably in that order, narrowly. UA and ASU seem more realistic to me only because they joined when it went from 8 to 10. Also closer regionally, although that's probably negligible.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I'm honestly not sure I would take any of these schools even if they inquired at this point. None of these schools have been able to maintain consistently elite programs in FB or MBB recently. And fan interest is mediocre throughout the league, hence all these revenue and TV issues. Sure you could probably grab some schools and keep things revenue neutral for the B12, but I'm not convinced any combo would be a huge net gain. It beats any G5 addition, but doing nothing can be better than picking between two bad options.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don’t get the interest in Colorado State other than a great road trip. I’ve been there and really enjoyed the campus. That being said they will not deliver the Denver market. CU did not deliver the Denver market. It’s a small pro town market and the Broncos are the focus.

It’s not about markets anymore. It’s about content.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I kind of hate more than 12 team leagues because of scheduling. If you have 2 divisions with 8 or 10 teams each, then it's like you aren't really one conference, might as well just do some kind of cross-conference preferred OOC scheduling deal, like 1 FB and a couple BBall games every year. Which might be fun for the Big12 but won't help the PAC much I suppose.

Doesn't make much sense to just take the Arizonas to get to 12. You almost have to go for the LA schools. But then you are at 14. You could toss Baylor and WV out (sorry WV, just geography) to get back to 12.

UCLA, USC, ASU, AZ, TT, TCU
Texas, OU, OkSt, ISU, KSU, KU

That would even give you the unbalanced divisions like the SEC or B1G. And OU or UT could go beat up on a big name (but likely overrated) USC or UCLA team in the CCG and get into the CFP easier.

The other 8 Pac12 teams could add Boise or Wyoming, or just stay at 8. They might do well with 8 as the GREEN conference (both in terms of environment and weed).