Alright WSU fan here

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

DesMoinesWACoug

Dec 2, 2018
Wait, there’s a Des Moines in Washington?
I had to google to confirm. My mind is blown.

Yep. We pronounce it De' Moines with the s silent in Des and the s given its full value in Moines. It's a northwest thing.

Anyway, looking forward to a good game. I just saw that ISU had 2 All-Americans named recently by PFF -- both at our weakest areas to counter (RB, DB.) Assuming that your OL is serviceable, we don't stop the run very well with our small, stunting DL and we have a tough time against NFL-caliber DB's. But, we do have a very good offense (generally) led by our grand-transfer QB Gardner Minshew, 8 WR's (Winston, Martin, Sweet, Patmon, Calvin, Bell, Jackson, Harris) and 2 really good RB's in Williams and true-frosh Max Borghi.

I watched some of the WV-ISU game highlights. Obviously, one of the keys will be whether ISU can generate pressure rushing 3-4 or whether they will need to bring another body in to rush. The traditional way most teams like Cal, UW and the Big 10 teams we have played in the past 2 Holiday Bowls (Minnesota, Michigan St.) have slowed the Air Raid is by dropping 8 in coverage, having good LB play and having a good-to-exceptional NT to create pressure. Minshew is a better runner than Falk (so he can scramble), but the flow of the offense still revolves around quick, decisive passes to speedy guys in space and blocking downfield by WR's. Disrupt that flow and the offense gets muddy.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Unlike the Big 10 (and now, unfortunately, the Big 12) the Pacific League can actually count. It was Pac8 when I was there: 2 Washington schools, 2 Oregon schools, and 4 California schools. They became the Pac 10 when they added the 2 Arizona schools, and Pac 12 when they added Utah and Colorado. They have never had 14 teams.
Well, big 10 is already taken. I 'spose they could go with MW10 (MidWest).

I remember a rumor, though never verified, that the Big 12 registered Big 14 and Big 16 when they changed to the Big 12 from the Big 8. Though I doubt now that the Big 12 would change its name given the current over-emphasis on branding.

• Agree
Reactions: DarkStar

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Yep. We pronounce it De' Moines with the s silent in Des and the s given its full value in Moines. It's a northwest thing.

Anyway, looking forward to a good game. I just saw that ISU had 2 All-Americans named recently by PFF -- both at our weakest areas to counter (RB, DB.) Assuming that your OL is serviceable, we don't stop the run very well with our small, stunting DL and we have a tough time against NFL-caliber DB's. But, we do have a very good offense (generally) led by our grand-transfer QB Gardner Minshew, 8 WR's (Winston, Martin, Sweet, Patmon, Calvin, Bell, Jackson, Harris) and 2 really good RB's in Williams and true-frosh Max Borghi.

I watched some of the WV-ISU game highlights. Obviously, one of the keys will be whether ISU can generate pressure rushing 3-4 or whether they will need to bring another body in to rush. The traditional way most teams like Cal, UW and the Big 10 teams we have played in the past 2 Holiday Bowls (Minnesota, Michigan St.) have slowed the Air Raid is by dropping 8 in coverage, having good LB play and having a good-to-exceptional NT to create pressure. Minshew is a better runner than Falk (so he can scramble), but the flow of the offense still revolves around quick, decisive passes to speedy guys in space and blocking downfield by WR's. Disrupt that flow and the offense gets muddy.

You literally just descibed ISU's base defense.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Well, big 10 is already taken. I 'spose they could go with MW10 (MidWest).

I remember a rumor, though never verified, that the Big 12 registered Big 14 and Big 16 when they changed to the Big 12 from the Big 8. Though I doubt now that the Big 12 would change its name given the current over-emphasis on branding.
I'm pretty sure that the reason the big 10 didn't go big 11 when Penn State came on board was because the Big 12 already owned the name. They weren't sure if they would have 12 or 11 when they were forming the new conference from the Big 8 and Southwest Conferences.

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016

No wonder why your offense is so good. Must be hard to defend 8 WR and 2 RB all on the field at the same time.

TSKCoug

Dec 3, 2018
Easy to feel for WSU, because it seems like a position we could easily find ourselves in in the near future.
Well as you all know there is a glamor conference (the SEC) and the "blue blood" football programs (you all know who those are) then there are all the rest of Division 1 which is largely ignored. WSU and ISU very much have that in common. Any losses we have are counted more heavily against us than those of teams in the anointed conference or football royalty others.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

ISU has had pretty good success against air raid type offenses this year. Most of their real struggles have been against teams that want to run right at the 3 man front. The last 4 games of the year they were down several key defenders, and it showed. At this point they are expecting all but one DB to be at or near 100% for the bowl game. The ISU NG is very good, but the other DL tend to get more sacks and tackles for loss. Hard to tell what ISU will do in the bowl. They have tended to drop a lot of guys back with an occasional blitz, but have been much more aggressive the last few games when the defense was not getting stops. I suspect they will drop 8 to start, but will heat things up if they get behind or see a weakness.

On offense, calling the OL serviceable is probably a reach, but DM is a guy that can really do a lot without much help. Great vision, cuts, strength, not super fast, but fast enough that you don't want him to get into the open field. ISU has decent WR, with the exception of Butler, who is a beast if he can hang onto the ball. Purdy is very good for a freshman, but tries to do too much at times.

Last edited:

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I'm ready for our defense to be healthy again. If they are, then seeing them tested by the Cougs Air Raid will be a lot of fun. Tell me more about Wazzu's defensive line. How our oline plays, tells me a lot about the outcome.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Well as you all know there is a glamor conference (the SEC) and the "blue blood" football programs (you all know who those are) then there are all the rest of Division 1 which is largely ignored. WSU and ISU very much have that in common. Any losses we have are counted more heavily against us than those of teams in the anointed conference or football royalty others.

Sounds like this bowl game should be called the Busch Light Nutcup Bowl am I right?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Guessing this is

The Admin is joke and the university ADs and presidents are just pissed. Tv money never came and schools like WSU are up to their ass in debt due to stadium rebuilds

There were also really bad hires in 2012, rich rod, graham, mcintinre, dykes, only leach is left. Right now Oregon is about only uniforms, usc is just a circus, UCLA is UCLA the joke is, “where players go to get soft”. Shaw is a terrible game Coach at Stanford, cal is gonna be good next year Utah is always solid. Sumlin is a clown we dumped 70 on him 3 weeks ago.

Peterson at uw is doing less with more and we can’t beat them god damn.

We have beaten Oregon 4 straight, Stanford 3 straight and have the most conf wins in the last 3 years and uw has knocked us out of the titld game three years in a row.

UCLA is where our former head coach is now the defensive backs coach and had a tough year.

DesMoinesWACoug

Dec 2, 2018
I'm ready for our defense to be healthy again. If they are, then seeing them tested by the Cougs Air Raid will be a lot of fun. Tell me more about Wazzu's defensive line. How our oline plays, tells me a lot about the outcome.

Wazzu's D-Line is anchored by a former walk-on Taylor Comfort up the middle and Logan Tago and Nick Begg on the edges. All are undersized and frankly got abused in the snow vs UW in the snow in the Apple Cup. Their success is tied to the success of the line backing corps, which is the strength of the D. To make up for their size, the D compensates with their speed to the ball. UW exploited this with counters, misdirection and play action. We do not blitz a ton, but when we do it is strangely effective.

Was Washington state the team usc was playing when the Pac 12 commissioner decided to overturn a call himself? That sounds like something that would happen to us against Texas

Yes. We were playing the Toejams in the first Pac game of the year when the Pac's VP and General Counsel apparently from the comfort of his recliner overruled a targeting call on the field by one of our guys on SUC's QB. This apparently made the refs very apprehensive to later call an obvious targeting by head-hunter Porter Gustin (who had just entered the game in the 2nd half after being intelligible in the first half for targeting) on Minshew (i.e. "why call targeting, it's just going to be reversed in the booth?" ). That play was on 3rd down when the Cougs were down 3 in the 4th qtr with about 2 mins left. A proper targeting call would have put the ball inside the 10 with 1st and goal. Instead, Cougs have to settle for FG attempt which was blocked and the rest is history.