If the Drake game doesn't count then....

LoyalFawker

Jul 13, 2016
Kansas City
Yes it does count. Not towards bowl game status. How hard is this to understand ?
Oh really? And what information are you basing your statement off of? I couldn't even find where in the NCAA rules it said it wouldn't count toward bowl eligibility but we know it won't.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
NCAA allowed FBS teams to count a victory against an FCS team toward six-win bowl eligibility if that FCS team had used 90 percent of its allotted scholarship money. The idea behind the rule was to deter FBS schools from playing FCS schools that had no chance to compete with an FBS school.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I can't believe I actually did this.

Proof:

Screenshot 2018-11-21 at 8.23.04 PM.png Screenshot 2018-11-21 at 8.24.52 PM.png Screenshot 2018-11-21 at 8.25.36 PM.png

Drake is a NCAA Division I football program. The fact they are non-scholarship doesn't change that. They don't meet the requirement that counts towards our bowl eligibility, but, as listed, an FBS team may play up to 40% of it's games in a season vs. FCS teams (really, you could play up to 4!)

It's an NCAA team vs. another NCAA team. The refs will be there under the jurisdiction of the NCAA.

IT COUNTS!

(source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Football_Bowl_Subdivision#cite_note-JFowler-22

If you don't like Wikipedia, there are multiple citations in the footnotes.)

Here's another source - direct from the NCAA - that makes it clear the 90% of avialable scholarship rule for FBS playing an FCS team is only as it relates to bowl eligibility: http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D119.pdf

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Oh really? And what information are you basing your statement off of? I couldn't even find where in the NCAA rules it said it wouldn't count toward bowl eligibility but we know it won't.

You know what information I’m going from? That I’ve seen enough of JP’s work over the last 15ish years to know he wouldn’t be dumb enough to schedule a game that doesn’t count.

LoyalFawker

Jul 13, 2016
Kansas City
I can't believe I actually did this.

Proof:

View attachment 60224 View attachment 60225 View attachment 60226

Drake is a NCAA Division I football program. The fact they are non-scholarship doesn't change that. They don't meet the requirement that counts towards our bowl eligibility, but, as listed, an FBS team may play up to 40% of it's games in a season vs. FCS teams (really, you could play up to 4!)

It's an NCAA team vs. another NCAA team. The refs will be there under the jurisdiction of the NCAA.

IT COUNTS!

(source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Football_Bowl_Subdivision#cite_note-JFowler-22

If you don't like Wikipedia, there are multiple citations in the footnotes.)

Here's another source - direct from the NCAA - that makes it clear the 90% of avialable scholarship rule for FBS playing an FCS team is only as it relates to bowl eligibility: http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D119.pdf
I'm glad you found this, that's exactly what I was looking for but couldn't find. Thanks!

Reactions: khardbored

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Stanz and Fitz are incorrect...Neither Pollard or CMC would even consider scheduling this game if it doesnt count...

It doesnt count toward bowl eligibility that is it. Drake is a NCAA DIV 1 fball school and part of FCS...Not sure what is hard to understand.

• Agree

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011

You can schedule up to 4, but only one win counts towards a bowl game.
I remember KState in 2009 was 6-6 but wasnt bowl eligible because they beat 2 FCS teams.

• Informative