Hy-Vee Big 4 Classic Ending

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If you are a college basketball fan, it shouldn't matter. If I buy a ticket to watch the Cyclones, it is a bonus to see Creighton take on Drake. Sign me up.

Quality of games always matters, particularly if its not 'your' team.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So you won't go see Iowa State because your ticket has Drake vs Creighton on it as well?

I just won't go to drake vs creighton, and i'll consider the cost that is priced for 2 games to be overpriced (and that is the reason not to go)

Plus with this hypothetical event it basically seems like we'd be saying "we're a midmajor".

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
So I take it you are a not a Big 12 Tournament Ticket buyer? You have to buy a ticket to watch the game you want to and a game you don't perhaps.

If you are a college basketball fan, it shouldn't matter. If I buy a ticket to watch the Cyclones, it is a bonus to see Creighton take on Drake. Sign me up.

You can buy single game tickets to the Big 12 tournament. Plus, you're comparing the Big 4 to the Big 12 tournament.... which I don't need to even say wouldn't compare.

I'm a college basketball fan. I'm not a fan of spending the entire day in a horrible venue to watch a likely horrible game when there will be better games to watch.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I'd like to see us work something out here, with the added bonus of making Iowa look bad in the deal. How about 2 for 1 with Drake playing at Hilton and WFA. The get a 2 for 1 with UNI playing at Hilton and maybe Cedar Rapids. Drop our game right on Iowa's back door.

I really don't mind a couple of these winnable neutral court games with an ISU crowd lean. Great practice for the post season. Playing neutral games in a multipurpose facility is where you have to get it done in March.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
So you won't go see Iowa State because your ticket has Drake vs Creighton on it as well?

Considering that one ticket is over 50% of the cost of my entire season ticket package for ISU basketball, again you're comparing apples and oranges.

Rio4CY

Sep 29, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I just won't go to drake vs creighton, and i'll consider the cost that is priced for 2 games to be overpriced (and that is the reason not to go)

Plus with this hypothetical event it basically seems like we'd be saying "we're a midmajor".

Sorry to dissapoint, but Creighton is no longer considered a mid-major. Otherwise a mid major team from a mid major conference has won two national championships very recently.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyDude16

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You can buy single game tickets to the Big 12 tournament. Plus, you're comparing the Big 4 to the Big 12 tournament.... which I don't need to even say wouldn't compare.
The only single game B12 tourney ticket is the championship. Definitely agree the B12 is better.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
How about we setup the normal ISU/Iowa game as a two night tournament rather than a single game? Rotate Hilton/Carver and have ISU and Iowa play Drake and UNI. Winners play the next night. Might have some years where I ISU and Iowa don't play, but I think it'd still be worth it.

Reactions: isutrevman

Rio4CY

Sep 29, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Apparently being a true basketball fan is a thing of the past. I love my Cyclones...don't get me wrong, but to complain about having an additional cost added on to be able to watch a D1 basketball game is beyond me. It's basketball people....the greatest sport on earth! (now enter the football fans)

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
How about we setup the normal ISU/Iowa game as a two night tournament rather than a single game? Rotate Hilton/Carver and have ISU and Iowa play Drake and UNI. Winners play the next night. Might have some years where I ISU and Iowa don't play, but I think it'd still be worth it.
The mere possibility of non-con MVC game probably isn't doable.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
The big 12 tournament is an actual tournament, where there is at least some intrigue because you will be playing one of the teams in the "other" game if you win. Big 4 classic is not a tournament.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Sorry to dissapoint, but Creighton is no longer considered a mid-major. Otherwise a mid major team from a mid major conference has won two national championships very recently.

And that team isn't creighton. I don't give 2 ***** about creighton

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY and pulse

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Let's dump Iowa...grab Creighton to do the Big 4...I think there are plenty of story lines there to make a splash.

I would not mind doing this. Even change it so we only play each team once every three years. Keep the Big 4 Classic name and tell Iowa to EABOD.

Reactions: Rio4CY

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Thank god that’s ending. Always hated the Big 4 classic. Only ever went in college. Way too overpriced to watch us play a crappy drake team or UNI. I don’t blame Iowa one bit for ending it. Why would they want that with a 20 game conference schedule, on top of playing in ACC challenge and a November tournament?

If Drake or UNI don’t want to come to Ames every year then I don’t see why we need to play them at all.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Moving forward it makes a lot more sense for us to do home and homes with teams like Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Creighton, Missouri, Wichita St., and Nebraska.

I kind of expect to get something worked out with Drake where most, if not all, the games are in Hilton.

Reactions: khardbored

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Apparently being a true basketball fan is a thing of the past. I love my Cyclones...don't get me wrong, but to complain about having an additional cost added on to be able to watch a D1 basketball game is beyond me. It's basketball people....the greatest sport on earth! (now enter the football fans)

So, its just a little cost per year, and its just down the road, i assume you buy drake season tickets?