Hy-Vee Big 4 Classic Ending

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I hate we yell "Cowards" to the TOE, but then we say..."I'm only okay with playing them at home"

Sorry, but that is a double standard.

I'm not calling them cowards. I'm fine with them not doing it. Its smart business. I'm thankful they'll take the media heat when its pretty clear we don't really want the away games @drake\UNI either.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I can tell you that there is no way UNI is going to Ames without getting games in Cedar Falls. UNI would do a 2 for 1 if Iowa State was agreeable. Our AD came from Iowa State and has a great relationship with Jamie, so it wouldn't surprise me if they worked something out. If not, UNI will probably just look for a guarantee game somewhere else.

I would assume Drake would jump all over a 2 for 1 with the one being played at the Well.

This December will be the last time UNI plays Iowa and, as always, **** Iowa.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Let's dump Iowa...grab Creighton to do the Big 4...I think there are plenty of story lines there to make a splash.

That's interesting idea, and would kind of stick a finger in Iowa's eye. But the whole format of the thing was the worst part of it. Instead of playing all the other in-state schools, you skipped one every year. And the 2nd game was always a team you disliked. I doubt anybody wanted to see BOTH games much.

But if you did it like a tournament with a champ and consolation game the next night, that would be more interesting - to me anyway.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I can tell you that there is no way UNI is going to Ames without getting games in Cedar Falls. UNI would do a 2 for 1 if Iowa State was agreeable. Our AD came from Iowa State and has a great relationship with Jamie, so it wouldn't surprise me if they worked something out. If not, UNI will probably just look for a guarantee game somewhere else.

This is something I don't get though - if UNI is going to be playing buy games, and they have an offer on the table from ISU and Iowa, they should play them. Travel expenses would be low, travel time would be low, and they get to play a game in state where a lot of their players come from.

Let's dump Iowa...grab Creighton to do the Big 4...I think there are plenty of story lines there to make a splash.

Completely disagree - the format sucks, because I don't think it makes any sense to have people pay for 2 games when they likely only want to watch 1. I especially wouldn't be paying to watch Creighton play Drake.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

I would assume Drake would jump all over a 2 for 1 with the one being played at the Well.

This December will be the last time UNI plays Iowa and, as always, **** Iowa.

I don't think ISU would even do a 2 for 1 with UNI even with JP's relationship with Harris. I personally wish they would but I understand why they wouldn't

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So then why get rid of it to schedule a 300+ RPI team that nobody will show up for?

Because another home game is still better than a road\neutral game for the season ticket holders, even if its vs a ****** team? It is not like we need UNI\Drake for basketball attendance, we nearly sell out the arena for every game, even the nonconference games.

And there's no guarantee it'll be a 300+ team. It may not be top 100, but there's a wide gap between that and 300+

Reactions: cyence

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So I take it you are a not a Big 12 Tournament Ticket buyer? You have to buy a ticket to watch the game you want to and a game you don't perhaps.

I think most fans still enjoy watching other conference games (especially ones in which the winner could be our opponent the next day), whereas they don't particularly give a **** about watching Iowa vs Drake\UNI

isubb79

Jul 16, 2009
I'm not a fan of the Big 4 Tournament either but just like the Big 12 Tournament you have to pay for tickets to more than one game to attend a NCAA tournament game as well.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Because another home game is still better than a road\neutral game for the season ticket holders, even if its vs a ****** team? It is not like we need UNI\Drake for basketball attendance, we nearly sell out the arena for every game, even the nonconference games.

And there's no guarantee it'll be a 300+ team. It may not be top 100, but there's a wide gap between that and 300+

I was talking about Iowa. I have no problem ISU finding a decent opponent to replace the game with

Rio4CY

Sep 29, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Completely disagree - the format sucks, because I don't think it makes any sense to have people pay for 2 games when they likely only want to watch 1. I especially wouldn't be paying to watch Creighton play Drake.

So I take it you are a not a Big 12 Tournament Ticket buyer? You have to buy a ticket to watch the game you want to and a game you don't perhaps.

The quality of games is much different.

If you are a college basketball fan, it shouldn't matter. If I buy a ticket to watch the Cyclones, it is a bonus to see Creighton take on Drake. Sign me up.

Apr 18, 2013
I hope ISU will continue to play Drake and UNI. University of Illinois at Iowa City thinks they're too big for this state.

Help Support Us

Become a patron