Lawrence and Ames Compared (video)

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Music scene kinda sucks in Ames these days. We also don’t get any of the big acts that use to play Hilton. I have been told it is because Pollard only wants sporting events in athletic facilities but I don’t know if that’s true

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Music scene kinda sucks in Ames these days. We also don’t get any of the big acts that use to play Hilton. I have been told it is because Pollard only wants sporting events in athletic facilities but I don’t know if that’s true

I thought they just went to Des Moines now.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
This. Wells Fargo in the population center and with more seats made competing for shows in Hilton a losing proposition.
Right like any good business, when competition enters, close up shop.
I’m not saying that Ames needs to be the center for music in central Iowa but a college town should still have a music scene and should still be able to pull big acts every now and then. I could be underestimating the music scene in Ames but the last time I went to DGs I was 1 of 10 people in there and 5 were in the band. Stephens does an okay job.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Right like any good business, when competition enters, close up shop.
I’m not saying that Ames needs to be the center for music in central Iowa but a college town should still have a music scene and should still be able to pull big acts every now and then. I could be underestimating the music scene in Ames but the last time I went to DGs I was 1 of 10 people in there and 5 were in the band. Stephens does an okay job.
The only way you are going to get big acts is to give away the farm to make up for the 2000 seats. Not to say it can't be done, but when the AD was already not liking having to displace their teams when there was a show (remember this all went down before the practice facility), they didn't really think it was worth the trouble. After the practice facility came on line all of the promoters had gotten pretty comfortable with Wells Fargo.

No they are probably not trying very hard, but even if they did they aren't going to see much of a result and they will be lucky to do much more than break even.

• Winner
Reactions: DowntownCy

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The one place Ames has gone backwards since my time there is music.

After People’s died, no venue has taken that space. Some place that holds a few hundred people and has music nearly every night that brings in up and coming national/regional acts, but also fosters local stuff.

Outside of music, Lawrence and Ames are really similar

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone06 and HFCS

Cy94

Nov 11, 2011
There were a lot of concerts in Jack Trice/Cyclone Stadium during the 90's.

The conversion to real turf is cited as a reason why that stopped. They seem to make them work on the grass at Wrigley Field.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I know a promoter in DSM and Wells Fargo is absolutely 100% the reason Hilton doesn't see many big name concerts. DSM has grown culturally a lot in the past 10 years which hurts Ames.

Notice most of the non-concert events still come to ames, though.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
When it comes to college towns in the Big 12, it's Austin and then everyone else. Though I've never been to Morgantown, but have heard good things.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Having spent a lot of time in both these towns / Ames and Lawrence really no where close to similar. And thats not really in a good or bad way for either.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

STLISU

Aug 25, 2017
St. Louis (CWE)
When it comes to college towns in the Big 12, it's Austin and then everyone else. Though I've never been to Morgantown, but have heard good things.

Austin is a great city, no question. However, I really wouldn't classify it as a "college town". I would define a "college town" as a community where the university population provides the predominate influence. With a metro population of 2 million plus, home to the state capitol and numerous fortune 500 companies that really not the case for Austin.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Austin is a great city, no question. However, I really wouldn't classify it as a "college town". I would define a "college town" as a community where the university population provides the predominate influence. With a metro population of 2 million plus, home to the state capitol and numerous fortune 500 companies that really not the case for Austin.

Exactly. Austin is way more than a college town.