Lineup Talk

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Who do you have starting for Iowa State when the non-conference play tips off?

My predicted starting 5 are:
NWB
Wigginton
Shayok
Solomon
Lard

When conference play starts I wouldn't be surprised to see THT cracking the top 5. If Wigginton were to go pro, I think Shayok moves to the 2 and Talley comes in to the starting 5 to begin the year.

The team is in such a better position this year compared to last year with the distribution of seniors, juniors, sophomores and freshman I'm excited to see what they can do.

As far as a way too early best 5 I would go:
Wigginton,
Shayok
THT
Jacobson
Lard.

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
Unless THT is All Big 12, don't see us benching NWB as a senior, who has played well when healthy, and has a lot of experience.

Agreed. Would also be shocked if Jacobson can beat out Solomon. I do think he will be a solid rotation guy in the front court though.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8 and mj4cy

discydisc

Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Unless THT is All Big 12, don't see us benching NWB as a senior, who has played well when healthy, and has a lot of experience.
Agreed, just the best 5 as I see it, not necessarily starting 5. Will come down to match ups as well, could easily sub out Jacobson for NWB.

discydisc

Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Agreed. Would also be shocked if Jacobson can beat out Solomon. I do think he will be a solid rotation guy in the front court though.
Think it depends on whether or not Solo can improve his shot. Really hurt having him and Lard on the floor at the same time with neither being able to hit a 3/space the floor effectively.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY and Peter

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Whatever the lineup is, I love the depth of our first 7-8 players.

Yes. Competition for minutes is going to be fierce, which should make every guy on the roster work a little harder. I expect some growing pains throughout the season but I also think they could potentially do some big things in March if it all comes together. Very talented group.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
I've been hoping the guys would do a podcast or an article talking about realistic expectations for individual players the way they did for the teams themselves earlier. I agree that I think NWB is really good. Assuming his health holds up I think he has a much higher ceiling than we saw this year considering it was his first season playing significant minutes and first season playing PG at the collegiate level.

• Agree
Reactions: Javinegli

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
NWB when healthy was playing at an AA level...We had so many injuries it was ridiculous and really messed with continuity as well as minutes played which was too many for several players.

Bottom line is this years team will be completely different with a lot more talent 1-13 and depth.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I'm going to guess that if Prohm wants to keep the Chicago connections he will start THT. The guy is an ELITE talent with NBA written all over him but never underestimate the drama and politics that come with recruiting the windy city. Just read all the stories about the awful THT and Ayo Dosunmu drama.

Babb does seem like a zero ego teammate who would embrace the 6th man role. Also, Prohm did mention in CW's 1 on 1 that we will be playing A LOT of small ball next year with how talented and long our wings are. It'll be very interesting to see how much PT the big guys get on next years team.

I have concerns with Wiggington at PG unless he can cut down on the turnovers. For this reason I'd guess the lineup most often when the game is on the line in the 2nd half will be:

PG: Babb
G: Wigg
W: Shayok
W: Talley/THT for small ball, Solo/Lard/Jacobson for when we need height
F: Solo/Lard - whoever isn't in foul trouble or playing the best

Wildcard: Lewis and his ability to improve on defense and shoot the 3

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: VeloClone

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Starters is not super important to CSP. Obviously someone has to start, and he seems to go with experience more as kind of a reward. But he will play a few other guys a lot, sometimes more than the starters depending on matchup, big vs small lineup, hot hand etc. So we shouldn't get too worked up over starting vs off the bench.

But since we will do that anyway... here's my guess:

Starting 5:
NWB
Wigginton
Shayok
Solomon
Lard

Playing lots:
Talley
Lewis
THT

Not so much:
Jacobson (might play more if Solo and Lard have foul problems, defense and rebounding, etc)
Griffin
Conditt
Halliburton

There's some pretty good players in there, if they can find the right mix and the chemistry... it should help a ton, that 7 of the top 8 have been together at least a year. Last year it was basically NWB, Solo, and DJax. Everyone else was new.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Whatever the starting lineup, I think we'll see a variety of groupings playing the most minutes based on match ups. I think we'll see them try to keep Nick somewhat limited (in comparison to last year, at least I hope they do) so that he doesn't re-aggravate his injury. Maybe 30ish minutes?

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
One of the reasons I think he’s prime for a 6th man role. He’d be great there and it could help him to not break down physically in March.

Gunner, for me I think coach will have the ability to use NWB with a more reasonable workload, which should impact his health. We will have a hard time keeping him off the floor extended minutes if healthy though. Not saying you implied this, but I don't think it is accurate to put a "fragile" label on him. Reasonable usage versus over usage with our depth should serve him really well. Like others, I don't see him as a senior kept out of the starting line-up with the quality of decisions he showed he can make from the point. Nice though that we added a PG in the frosh as well as now have LW (I am assuming he will be back) at the point. I think we also have additional options there for spot minutes.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Starters is not super important to CSP. Obviously someone has to start, and he seems to go with experience more as kind of a reward. But he will play a few other guys a lot, sometimes more than the starters depending on matchup, big vs small lineup, hot hand etc. So we shouldn't get too worked up over starting vs off the bench.

But since we will do that anyway... here's my guess:

Starting 5:
NWB
Wigginton
Shayok
Solomon
Lard

Playing lots:
Talley
Lewis
THT

Not so much:
Jacobson (might play more if Solo and Lard have foul problems, defense and rebounding, etc)
Griffin
Conditt
Halliburton

There's some pretty good players in there, if they can find the right mix and the chemistry... it should help a ton, that 7 of the top 8 have been together at least a year. Last year it was basically NWB, Solo, and DJax. Everyone else was new.

Will be interesting to see how ready folks are. I think you will see a regular three man rotation for two spots with Lard, Solo & Jacobson. The question for me will be how often we chose to play smaller ball with Talley or even Griffin playing the 4.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I’ll get blasted for this but here goes nothing.

1. Nick Weiler-Babb 6-5 SENIOR
2. Marial Shayok 6-6 SENIOR
3. Zoran Talley 6-7 SENIOR
4. Solomon Young 6-8 JUNIOR
5. Cameron Lard 6-9 SOPHOMORE

6. Michael Jacobson 6-9 JUNIOR
7. Horton-Tucker 6-5 FRESHMAN
8. Terrence Lewis 6-6 SOPHOMORE
9. Zion Griffin 6-6 FRESHMAN

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I’ll get blasted for this but here goes nothing.

1. Nick Weiler-Babb 6-5 SENIOR
2. Marial Shayok 6-6 SENIOR
3. Zoran Talley 6-7 SENIOR
4. Solomon Young 6-8 JUNIOR
5. Cameron Lard 6-9 SOPHOMORE

6. Michael Jacobson 6-9 SOPHOMORE
7. Horton-Tucker 6-5 FRESHMAN
8. Terrence Lewis 6-6 SOPHOMORE
9. Zion Griffin 6-6 FRESHMAN

Jacobson will be a junior. Moron.

Reactions: Doc