Lineup Talk

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I’ll get blasted for this but here goes nothing.

1. Nick Weiler-Babb 6-5 SENIOR
2. Marial Shayok 6-6 SENIOR
3. Zoran Talley 6-7 SENIOR
4. Solomon Young 6-8 JUNIOR
5. Cameron Lard 6-9 SOPHOMORE

6. Michael Jacobson 6-9 SOPHOMORE
7. Horton-Tucker 6-5 FRESHMAN
8. Terrence Lewis 6-6 SOPHOMORE
9. Zion Griffin 6-6 FRESHMAN

Something is missing here.

Hiltonmagk

Apr 11, 2006
Fort Madison, IA
So I'll do this a little different...minutes played at each position...to start the year

PG: NWB 30, Wigginton 10
SG: Wigginton 22, THT 5, Lewis 13
SF: Shayok 30, THT 5, Talley 5
PF: Solo 25, Talley 10, THT 5
C/PF2: Lard 30, Solo 5, Jacobson 5

By conference:

SG: Wigginton 22, Lewis 18
SF: Shayok 25, THT 15
PF: Solo 20, Talley 10, THT 10
C/PF2: Lard 30, Solo 10

Jacobson plays when there's foul trouble, and Conduit plays in non conference and when we are winning by a lot. Would love to redshirt him, but I think it's been said that he won't. Would love to redshirt Halliburton too, but I'm not sure that's even on the table. Ideally if he isn't going to then he can cut his teeth a little in the non con and be ready for spot duty if NWB isn't healthy.

Who do you have starting for Iowa State when the non-conference play tips off?

My predicted starting 5 are:
NWB
Wigginton
Shayok
Solomon
Lard

When conference play starts I wouldn't be surprised to see THT cracking the top 5. If Wigginton were to go pro, I think Shayok moves to the 2 and Talley comes in to the starting 5 to begin the year.

The team is in such a better position this year compared to last year with the distribution of seniors, juniors, sophomores and freshman I'm excited to see what they can do.

As far as a way too early best 5 I would go:
Wigginton,
Shayok
THT
Jacobson
Lard.

Reactions: CascadeClone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

6. Michael Jacobson 6-9 JUNIOR

I don’t know if that would be a good starting lineup but it is definitely an awesome lineup to be able to play. Talley impressed me a lot in the last month of the season he started doing what he does well and it showed in the stat line I hope he plays a bunch this year.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I'm going to guess that if Prohm wants to keep the Chicago connections he will start THT. The guy is an ELITE talent with NBA written all over him but never underestimate the drama and politics that come with recruiting the windy city. Just read all the stories about the awful THT and Ayo Dosunmu drama.

Babb does seem like a zero ego teammate who would embrace the 6th man role. Also, Prohm did mention in CW's 1 on 1 that we will be playing A LOT of small ball next year with how talented and long our wings are. It'll be very interesting to see how much PT the big guys get on next years team.

I have concerns with Wiggington at PG unless he can cut down on the turnovers. For this reason I'd guess the lineup most often when the game is on the line in the 2nd half will be:

PG: Babb
G: Wigg
W: Shayok
W: Talley/THT for small ball, Solo/Lard/Jacobson for when we need height
F: Solo/Lard - whoever isn't in foul trouble or playing the best

Wildcard: Lewis and his ability to improve on defense and shoot the 3

No way Babb doesn't start. He's the best facilitator on the team, not to mention college-level experience. If he's good enough to be in the game when the game is on the line, he's good enough to start to ensure the team starts off right.

The starting lineup that gives the best chance of winning is the criteria. THT will get plenty of minutes and not starting will not hurt the Chicago connection in any way.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA

So you are assuming Wigs doesn't return this year, or are you relegating him to the end of the bench?

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
No way Babb doesn't start. He's the best facilitator on the team, not to mention college-level experience. If he's good enough to be in the game when the game is on the line, he's good enough to start to ensure the team starts off right.

The starting lineup that gives the best chance of winning is the criteria. THT will get plenty of minutes and not starting will not hurt the Chicago connection in any way.
I totally agree on Babb. His first season as a PG, he was flirting with a triple double just about every game, and low TOs.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
@ChrisMWilliams gave his on a podcast/the radio a few weeks ago...

Wigginton
Horton-Tucker
Shayok
Jacobson
Lard
---
Weiler-Babb
Young

+ semi-rotation or spot minutes for the remainder

...that those two former starters would become 6th and 7th men.

Reactions: isutrevman

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
@ChrisMWilliams gave his on a podcast/the radio a few weeks ago...

Wigginton
Horton-Tucker
Shayok
Jacobson
Lard
---
Weiler-Babb
Young

+ semi-rotation or spot minutes for the remainder

...that those two former starters would become 6th and 7th men.

I think CW was wrong with this take. I have a hard time believing Young will be giving up his starting spot, unless Jacobson is a borderline all-conference type of player. Prohm seems to be loyal almost to a fault. I may be able to buy Babb taking a step back due to his injuries and/or because THT is to good to not be on the court.

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017

I see what you did there.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
I think it can and will change on a game to game basis depending on matchups, but i'm very curious to see what Prohm does with the 7-10 guys on the depth chart. I would label Jacobson, Talley, Lewis, Griffin as the 7-10 guys as of now.

Jacobson - While it's yet to be seen if he's expanded his game at all, I think you can safely pencil him in as seeing solid minutes because Prohm loves his consistency and he's already produced at the P5 level. Maybe if Jacobson really improves he could overtake Solomon like many have speculated but I don't see it right away at least.

Talley - Unfortunate that he will probably never be a great floor spacer as a shooter but his ball handling and defensive versatility make him a good weapon for Prohm to use off the bench. I think he sees decently consistent minutes off the bench but some of it may depend on how much THT forces Prohm's hand.

Lewis - Showed signs of becoming more comfortable towards the end of the year. I was high on Lewis going into last year and still am high on him, but he needs to improve his overall skill set (handle/finishing ability inside the arc specifically). It's a big off season for him imo even though on paper there will still be a lot of talent in front of him next year. That perimeter jump shot with his size on the wing could be lethal down the road. Things just need to slow down for him.

Griffin - He'll be a bit of a wildcard next year. He's physically ready to play in the Big 12 but it's just tough to project whether things will click for him in year 1 or not. Being able to guard inside-out 4's as well as stretch the D with his outside shot will be a huge asset.

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
On paper there are 10 guys that could see time, assuming Wigginton. Based on Prohm's three seasons here 9/10 guys aren't going to play consistent minutes, it'll be more likely 8.

Weiler-Babb
Wigginton
Shayok
Young
Lard

Talley
THT
Jacobson
Lewis
Griffin
Conditt
Haliburton

If this is indeed the starting lineup, then Talley and THT will most certainly see major minutes. So, who of the last 5 there has the best chance to be that eighth guy?

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
I think it can and will change on a game to game basis depending on matchups, but i'm very curious to see what Prohm does with the 7-10 guys on the depth chart. I would label Jacobson, Talley, Lewis, Griffin as the 7-10 guys as of now.

Jacobson - While it's yet to be seen if he's expanded his game at all, I think you can safely pencil him in as seeing solid minutes because Prohm loves his consistency and he's already produced at the P5 level. Maybe if Jacobson really improves he could overtake Solomon like many have speculated but I don't see it right away at least.

Talley - Unfortunate that he will probably never be a great floor spacer as a shooter but his ball handling and defensive versatility make him a good weapon for Prohm to use off the bench. I think he sees decently consistent minutes off the bench but some of it may depend on how much THT forces Prohm's hand.

Lewis - Showed signs of becoming more comfortable towards the end of the year. I was high on Lewis going into last year and still am high on him, but he needs to improve his overall skill set (handle/finishing ability inside the arc specifically). It's a big off season for him imo even though on paper there will still be a lot of talent in front of him next year. That perimeter jump shot with his size on the wing could be lethal down the road. Things just need to slow down for him.

Griffin - He'll be a bit of a wildcard next year. He's physically ready to play in the Big 12 but it's just tough to project whether things will click for him in year 1 or not. Being able to guard inside-out 4's as well as stretch the D with his outside shot will be a huge asset.
Like the analysis and agree with most of it. However, I would say Talley is right now probably the sixth man, with THT a smidge behind him.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
On paper there are 10 guys that could see time, assuming Wigginton. Based on Prohm's three seasons here 9/10 guys aren't going to play consistent minutes, it'll be more likely 8.

Weiler-Babb
Wigginton
Shayok
Young
Lard

Talley
THT
Jacobson
Lewis
Griffin
Conditt
Haliburton

If this is indeed the starting lineup, then Talley and THT will most certainly see major minutes. So, who of the last 5 there has the best chance to be that eighth guy?
I would think Jacobson then Lewis. I think ideally Griffin, Conditt and Haliburton would all red shirt, but in our instant gratification society the red shirt outside of an injury or transfer will go the way of the dodo.

• Agree
Reactions: KKramer

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
So I'll do this a little different...minutes played at each position...to start the year

SG: Wigginton 22, THT 5, Lewis 13
SF: Shayok 30, THT 5, Talley 5
PF: Solo 25, Talley 10, THT 5
C/PF2: Lard 30, Solo 5, Jacobson 5

By conference:

SG: Wigginton 22, Lewis 18
SF: Shayok 25, THT 15
PF: Solo 20, Talley 10, THT 10
C/PF2: Lard 30, Solo 10

Jacobson plays when there's foul trouble, and Conduit plays in non conference and when we are winning by a lot. Would love to redshirt him, but I think it's been said that he won't. Would love to redshirt Halliburton too, but I'm not sure that's even on the table. Ideally if he isn't going to then he can cut his teeth a little in the non con and be ready for spot duty if NWB isn't healthy.

Be interesting if there is any consideration of George redshirting. I haven't heard that talk. Has there been information that Nick won't be ready to go? I thought last I heard Steve talk about him everything was in good order. I think you minutes distribution excludes Griffin. I expect him to get more minutes at the 4 than I do THT at that position.