Farmland

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Problem is that in our situation we have a family farm valued at 1.2 million. My dad and Aunts wont ever sell it so eventually the grandkids will get it but 1.2 divided 10 ways isnt that much.

Ok. Give up your paltry share. The 9 other heirs will be a little happier.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
https://www.extension.iastate.edu/soils/sites/www.extension.iastate.edu/files/soils/County CSR2 (NRCS) Weighted Means v1.1 22May2017.pdf

That should give you a good idea.

From a farming standpoint for ag value, anything under 40 acres would have some value deduction for size. Under 20 and farmers really won’t want to mess with it unless it’s right next to something they already farm.

That kind of corresponds with our observations. Single family can get up to 40 acres. I've only done a couple at that size and they are usually either timber or fairly steep rolling hills with some pasture. Of course people do some weird things. What do you do with a 10 acre parcel but they let someone run across the middle with rows of beans? Then you get to the inevitable whole grass farming thing/idea that people in the burbs love to do as a hobby. At what point does that go from weird hobby to money producing farm? IMO not enough income to worry about it most times.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Don’t ever claim inheriting $120,000 as a “problem”

Oh, I don't know. That type of situation causes all kinds of problems. My wife's family is going to get ugly as the last two are in their 90's. They did a relatively good job planning and distributing shares, etc. and its going to be one ugly mess of which I want no part.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
the purpose is to establish long term ground cover and protect soil and fields. Iowa has the most "changed" landscape in the entire country and the CRP program aims to put more land back into a natural state. Since farming is lucrative (?) the state pays people a comparable amount to not farm it.

it makes sense and i support finding ways to protect our land.

on the other hand, we also have agricultural subsidies and crop insurance which encourage people to farm and only farm certain crops. there is a reason why iowa is heavy in soybeans and corn - those have the most federal and state protection. in essence, we subsidize people to grow very specific row crops and pay others to not grow those same crops. it's very odd.

Well, that and there's no viable market for anything else.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Investors fueled things also. Emotion and euphoria.

Know a guy who had 420 acres free and clear. He purchased 80 acres for $1 million. In essence he now owed $2,000 per acre on the 500 acres he now owns. IMO he was better off with no debt. But that is just my opinion.

How do you know he had debt?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Sounds like some people need to be eliminated.
GloriousHilariousAltiplanochinchillamouse-max-1mb.gif

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
That kind of corresponds with our observations. Single family can get up to 40 acres. I've only done a couple at that size and they are usually either timber or fairly steep rolling hills with some pasture. Of course people do some weird things. What do you do with a 10 acre parcel but they let someone run across the middle with rows of beans? Then you get to the inevitable whole grass farming thing/idea that people in the burbs love to do as a hobby. At what point does that go from weird hobby to money producing farm? IMO not enough income to worry about it most times.

Situations like you mentioned would be heavily discounted. From a purchase standpoint farmers wouldn't likely be interested at all. From a rental perspective you are looking at a rental rate discount of about 50% of the going market rent for a small, odd-shaped farm like you mention.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Farminclone or anyone. Anyone have an idea of what the average or median CSR would be for most crop ground?

I get into a pinch sometimes as the dividing line between residential and farm use gets really blurry. For instance, I'm staring at a parcel that they are building a new house on but the assessor lists the best part of the ground at 5.7 ac of 69 CSR. I think its likely too small to mess with even at 100 because its never been "farmed". Of course I can't do farm appraisals due to state regulations but they won't touch a definition with a 10' pole. Typical government creating problems.

Median and average would vary with location. The new CSR2 bumped everything3-4 it seems. Our worst farm, that I consider lower end ground has a CSR of 72 (old scale it was a 69.8). That's ground is equal to the better stuff my FIL has a county and a half south of mine.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Right now it is being cash rented for $200/acre to a neighboring farmer. They aren't currently looking to make a lot from the land but just make something on it until they pass it to us.

As for your question, why can't I wait to sell it, because I don't want to deal with the land and would rather just have the cash sale.

I have a client who just inherited a bunch of land, it was appraised for $8000/acre and they sold 50 acres for $8800/acre in order to pay off the mortgage and Iowa inheritance taxes (it was a weird situation) and they are planning to keep the rest and cash rent it. If I was them I would have sold it all took the approx. $2 million and not have to deal with the hassle.

Renting farmland is a really easy way to have a steady side income, and that asset is likely to appreciate.

Rather than sell it, I'd recommend you shop it out ($200/acre is a ways below the market in my area - not sure about the neck of the woods you're in) to a new tenant, or increase the rent on the current one. Collect that steady stream for awhile and when you get farther down the road, you can probably sell it for more than it's worth today.

The landlord doesn't have to have much involvement at all in the process of owning land, other than writing the property tax check.

• Agree
Reactions: istater7

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Well, that and there's no viable market for anything else.

Exactly. They're the only crops that can make money on our land costs.

Sure, you can grow other crops in Iowa, but if you think corn and soybeans are hard to pencil on land that sells between $8K-$12K per acre, you should crunch the wheat/milo/sorghum/canola/alfalfa numbers.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Renting farmland is a really easy way to have a steady side income, and that asset is likely to appreciate.

Rather than sell it, I'd recommend you shop it out ($200/acre is a ways below the market in my area - not sure about the neck of the woods you're in) to a new tenant, or increase the rent on the current one. Collect that steady stream for awhile and when you get farther down the road, you can probably sell it for more than it's worth today.

The landlord doesn't have to have much involvement at all in the process of owning land, other than writing the property tax check.

Appreciate the advice, but selling it right away could buy a lot of top of the line racing equipment.

Reactions: DurangoCy

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Investors fueled things also. Emotion and euphoria.

Know a guy who had 420 acres free and clear. He purchased 80 acres for $1 million. In essence he now owed $2,000 per acre on the 500 acres he now owns. IMO he was better off with no debt. But that is just my opinion.

You could be very right on this or dead wrong, hard saying until we get about 10 years down the road. I will say that many people made those same comments when people leveraged their existing 420 acres to buy the neighboring 80 acres for $2,000 per acre back in the day and those guys look like wealthy geniuses today.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Appreciate the advice, but selling it right away could buy a lot of top of the line racing equipment.

I don't know how many acres you're looking at, but a quarter section at $250 per acre (still pretty cheap rent up here) would be an extra $40K every year.

I also don't know how far that would go for racing equipment.