Black Panther

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I hadn't seen that kind of reaction to it prior to seeing Shapiro's take on it, which makes me think that it's mostly been manufactured as a talking point for sensationalized podcasts, clickbait articles, etc.

That being said, I'm not always the most in the loop person, so maybe I just missed it.

Either way, it is a movie I'm excited to see and trying to find a way to see it at my favorite theater (having a toddler at home really puts a damper on me getting to see movies ;) ).

Most of the attention has been very positive, with great early reviews and people praising it for having such a diverse cast. Then there's the social media backlash from people who "aren't racist, but don't like that this movie has to be all about black people". Or people saying that representation of people of color in movies doesn't matter.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This movie has come with a lot of social issues, racial, orientaion-al, etc.. People just like to *****.

I saw Ben Shapiro said yesterday:
"Everyone in the media is talking about the most important thing that has ever happened in the history of humanity, or at least since Caitlyn Jenner became a woman — a transgender woman," Shapiro said. "And that of course is the release of 'Black Panther'. This is the most important moment in black American history, not Martin Luther King, not Frederick Douglass, not the Civil War, not the end of Jim Crow, none of that. When Obama was president, we were told it meant everything," Shapiro said, "And then, it turns out, it didn't mean anything, because we needed Chadwick Boseman to somehow make sure that black people felt accepted in American society, because a bunch of white executives at Marvel green lit a film about black people in a fictional country in Africa."

I'd be sayin the same thing to Ben. Just let the black community be happy that they finally have a Feature Length, Black Super Hero movie(No, Steel, Blade and Blankman are not true superheros, sorry:)) And people (on both sides) need to stop making it so political or polarizing. Its a f****** super hero movie.

I agree, but I still find it odd what is essentially a cash cow for Disney gets embedded with so much racial politics. I mean, come on, it is just a dumb action film that probably follows the same Save the Cat plot beats as the rest of them. The same thing happened with the various women's advocacy movements and the blah Ghostbusters remake last year -- I mean, is this the hill you die on, a franchise film by mega-corporations Disney or Sony?

All that being said, I am a sucker for the formula. I will see it once the crowds clear out in a week or two. Going to hit up the empty Oscar bait theaters first.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I agree, but I still find it odd what is essentially a cash cow for Disney gets embedded with so much racial politics. I mean, come on, it is just a dumb action film that probably follows the same Save the Cat plot beats as the rest of them. The same thing happened with the various women's advocacy movements and the blah Ghostbusters remake last year -- I mean, is this the hill you die on, a franchise film by mega-corporations Disney or Sony?

All that being said, I am a sucker for the formula. I will see it once the crowds clear out in a week or two. Going to hit up the empty Oscar bait theaters first.
That is my thought exactly. People really think their bitchin is going to make any less people see it because you told them it was racist?

People like to complain and hear themselves speak, it is all more or less click bait like aobie pointed out, and people who are trying to stir some **** up either are being hypocritical in some way or are really trying to push a particular agenda.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
If I remember correctly, he got this because he ate some sort of magical herb? Could be thinking of the wrong superhero, though.

I think the origins vary in the comics. For the movie it is from consuming the "Heart Shaped Herb" which is tied to Vibranium being present in the soil of Wakanda for thousands of years.

So it's not supposed to be magic I guess.

Yeah, magic wasn't the best word choice, but I knew there was something special that the herb had. Thanks for the clarification

I think the original origin might have been a magical herb, but looks like they are trying to have a quasi-scientific source for the herbs power for the movie.

giphy.gif

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That is my thought exactly. People really think their bitchin is going to make any less people see it because you told them it was racist?

People like to complain and hear themselves speak, it is all more or less click bait like aobie pointed out, and people who are trying to stir some **** up either are being hypocritical in some way or are really trying to push a particular agenda.

Agreed. To try to spin something positive out of this, though --

Looks like Black Panther is about to crush it at the box office. What do you know? If the market senses there is demand for a racially diverse superhero film, just as it did for a female-led one with Wonder Woman last year, then it will deliver.

The customer is the ultimate dictator here.

I find it odd we want to invest so much meaning in this when it is ultimately a business decision and a sign of progress, especially when the films themselves are just going to be more of the same from the genre, rather than some realistic or insightful portrayal of the individual experience or great leaders of black history in this country.

Black Panther might make a billion. Selma, an excellent film, made $66.8 million.

Eh. That is the business nowadays.

• Agree

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
This movie has come with a lot of social issues, racial, orientaion-al, etc.. People just like to *****.

I saw Ben Shapiro said yesterday:
"Everyone in the media is talking about the most important thing that has ever happened in the history of humanity, or at least since Caitlyn Jenner became a woman — a transgender woman," Shapiro said. "And that of course is the release of 'Black Panther'. This is the most important moment in black American history, not Martin Luther King, not Frederick Douglass, not the Civil War, not the end of Jim Crow, none of that. When Obama was president, we were told it meant everything," Shapiro said, "And then, it turns out, it didn't mean anything, because we needed Chadwick Boseman to somehow make sure that black people felt accepted in American society, because a bunch of white executives at Marvel green lit a film about black people in a fictional country in Africa."

I'd be sayin the same thing to Ben. Just let the black community be happy that they finally have a Feature Length, Black Super Hero movie(No, Steel, Blade and Blankman are not true superheros, sorry:)) And people (on both sides) need to stop making it so political or polarizing. Its a f****** super hero movie.
I am excited to see this movie over the weekend but I am also very worried I will be watching an SJW propoganda movie with some superhero antics thrown in. I hope that isn't the case, but I am hearing there is a lot of political/social agendas in this movie. I hated that they did that in Star Wars and would be disappointed if they did that here too. I don't mind some, but identity politics surrounds our everyday lives right now and I just want to be entertained by a good movie. I love this actor and his introduction in Civil War was great. I hope for more great.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Cool. Is vibranium similar to unobtainium?

Similar in that it is a made up mineral for a movie, yes.

Vibranium is what Captain America's shield is made out of and is supposed to be pretty much indestructible.

Side note: Unobtainium is a really stupid made up name. Of course beyond the 3D experience, Avatar was a pretty stupid movie.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I am excited to see this movie over the weekend but I am also very worried I will be watching an SJW propoganda movie with some superhero antics thrown in. I hope that isn't the case, but I am hearing there is a lot of political/social agendas in this movie. I hated that they did that in Star Wars and would be disappointed if they did that here too. I don't mind some, but identity politics surrounds our everyday lives right now and I just want to be entertained by a good movie. I love this actor and his introduction in Civil War was great. I hope for more great.
My guess is the political/social agendas will be included in a way like Get Out, rather than it was in Star Wars. But I have not even heard that there was supposed to be a lot of that, I obviously expected some, but haven't heard to much discussion about that exactly.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Similar in that it is a made up mineral for a movie, yes.

Vibranium is what Captain America's shield is made out of and is supposed to be pretty much indestructible.

Side note: Unobtainium is a really stupid made up name. Of course beyond the 3D experience, Avatar was a pretty stupid movie.
2020 BABAY

Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I’ve partaken of the “magical herb”. No superpowers though.

Oh I got super powers. I got astral projection, the ability to slow down time and space, and a better understanding of the works of Pink Floyd. Also enhanced sense of humor, but a decrease in reaction time.

The effects wore off pretty quickly though.

L

LincolnWay187

My co-worker has this and does not stop talking about it, one day he left work to see a movie with his movie pass, came back 2 hours and 45 minutes later. Swear to god.
It's an awesome service. That said we will see how long it lasts. I have stock in the majority owner of it hmny and they are getting killed. Essentially the shareholders are paying the theaters to reimburse ticket sales..wish I would have done more research on that one...

L

LincolnWay187

My co-worker has this and does not stop talking about it, one day he left work to see a movie with his movie pass, came back 2 hours and 45 minutes later. Swear to god.
It's an awesome service. That said we will see how long it lasts. I have stock in the majority owner of it hmny and they are getting killed. Essentially the shareholders are paying the theaters to reimburse ticket sales..wish I would have done more research on that one...

• Agree