Marial Shayok Commits to ISU

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
The team last year was far different from this one and the next one. For one, Lard is a much more impactful presence around the rim and at this point, he's more skilled around the basket. For me, it comes down to shooting. Young will have to be a sufficient shooting threat who can shoot 35% from 3 to maintain his minutes. This isn't a knock on him but when you start looking at what he does really well, it's hard to find. He can separate himself from Jacobsen by being a real shooting threat. Outside of that, I don't think they are much different. However, then you start looking at guys like Lewis, Griffin and Horton. Can he shoot as well as Lewis and can he be a versatile on defense? Can he shore like Horton? Is Griffin going to rebound and defend similar to Young while being a little more versatile? Obviously we don't know those answers right now and I wouldn't even say he's in danger but there are guys coming who are going to force him to develop and I think his shooting is the obvious place for him to solidify himself.

I'm with you on this. If he doesn't develop his skill set, which he very well could, he could see the bench a lot next year. To be brutally honest, he's the type of player he is isn't nearly as valuable as it used to be. The argument for him is defense and rebounding, but he's not a rim protector and out of zone rebounder like Lard, and he's not a big threat from three.

Scoring on post-ups is one of the least efficient ways to score in basketball. Accordingly, offenses have gone away from that "traditional" style of offense, making the ability to defend the dribble and switch out on the perimeter.

The game has changed, guys. Big men are eurostepping now. Time to leave the 90s :)

• Disagree
Reactions: isu2014

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We average 84 shots per game and you guys are losing sleep about 1 shot per game from our big guy.

Doesn't make sense to me but continue blowing things out of proportion.
Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they are blowing things out of proportion or losing sleep over them. If you can't see how the 4 becoming a more legitimate threat to score at the arc can totally change the team and totally change how teams have to defend them you haven't been paying attention to ISU basketball for the last decade.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
What's everyone's thoughts on Long and Talley next year?

I don't see any talk of them getting minutes next year, maybe prime transfer candidates?

We have a player every year who doesn’t do much one year after transferring in, then busts out his final season. Talley is a prime candidate for next year, even on a stacked team. Difference is he will likely have to bust out off the bench, instead of as a starter.

Some guys just have to get comfortable and more aggressive, and don’t do it their first year.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they are blowing things out of proportion or losing sleep over them. If you can't see how the 4 becoming a more legitimate threat to score at the arc can totally change the team and totally change how teams have to defend them you haven't been paying attention to ISU basketball for the last decade.

So we aren't winning the Big 12 next year because Solomon isn't a good 3 point shooter.

Got it.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think it is completely fair to say that it is much harder to imagine Solomon going to the bench, even if still in the rotation, if he had a credible outside shot.

Could you imagine Lard working 1v1 on the block and on the boards?

Imagine what an open lane would do for Wigginton, NWB, or Shayok streaking to the basket, with Lard lurking for the rebound or in the dunker's position?

Having a guy who can hit from any range *and* defend any post in the conference?

That is a nice piece for any coach to have.

I think he is too big and strong on defense to imagine not playing, but I could see him becoming match-up specific unless he rounds out his game a little more. You would need him against a TCU, but if we are going small-ball with afterburners, he might be sitting.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
That's so wrong. The difference is 9 makes plus you cannot let a 35% guy get that shot off. At 20%, you let them go all day. It opens the floor, it pressures his guy to defend the perimeter, it changes how they have to defend him on the PNR, it changes how many bodies are inside with Lard, it changes on how hard his guy can help on the other guys on the perimeter in various situations, and it changes the personnel another team can defend him with. Right now, it doesn't matter if he's outside. You let him shoot until his hearts content. If he's shooting somewhere north of 33% or so, you can't let that happen, not to mention if you do, we will be more productive. That 4th guy being able to shoot is a really big deal in today's game, especially with an offense based on movement. Right now, that option isn't on the bench so he's fine. Next year, that may not be the case.

So if he gets to 35%, how many attempts do you anticipate/want him getting? I get that it goes beyond the makes, but I don't think an opponents defensive game plan for us is going to change much as long as he averages 1 or 2 attempts a game nor am I sure that it's better for us if he's lobbing up 4 or 5. He can do every bit as much good for us being great from the elbow or baseline/short corner as he can being average from 3. It still pulls a defender away from the basket and opens up passing and driving lanes. Now on the PNP, I'll grant you it would be great to have a 3 point threat from the wings to the top of the key. Don't get me wrong, I'm not rooting against the guy turning into a 40% three point shooter or saying it won't make us better if he is.

Again, my biggest problem with this whole argument is that we're setting the standards for Solo's playing time NEXT YEAR based on competition coming from a guy that we've never seen play in the B12 and when his natural progression as a ball player may take care of all this **** anyway. While I get that part of the fun of message boards is this type of discussion, it's also the kind of stuff that drives me nuts.

• Winner
Reactions: flycy

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I missed 8 pages of this thread. We're talking Jacobsen over Young? No thanks.
So you don't want the better player to get more minutes? All of this discussion is based on the fact that people within the program are really high on Jacobson, nobody is saying to start Jacobson just because he's an Iowa native.

Reactions: rholtgraves

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
So if he gets to 35%, how many attempts do you anticipate/want him getting? I get that it goes beyond the makes, but I don't think an opponents defensive game plan for us is going to change much as long as he averages 1 or 2 attempts a game nor am I sure that it's better for us if he's lobbing up 4 or 5. He can do every bit as much good for us being great from the elbow or baseline/short corner as he can being average from 3. It still pulls a defender away from the basket and opens up passing and driving lanes. Now on the PNP, I'll grant you it would be great to have a 3 point threat from the wings to the top of the key. Don't get me wrong, I'm not rooting against the guy turning into a 40% three point shooter or saying it won't make us better if he is.

Again, my biggest problem with this whole argument is that we're setting the standards for Solo's playing time NEXT YEAR based on competition coming from a guy that we've never seen play in the B12 and when his natural progression as a ball player may take care of all this **** anyway. While I get that part of the fun of message boards is this type of discussion, it's also the kind of stuff that drives me nuts.
We haven't seen Jacobson in the big 12 but he's proven himself in the big10 just as much as Solomon has.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Youre overthinking things. He averages around 1 3-pt attempt per game. Him chucking up 3s next year isnt going to make or break our season.

No, I'm just thinking things like someone who has some sort of idea how spacing works in basketball today, not in the mid 90s.

Also, a bad tactic for debate is embellishing what someone said. At no point did I say he had to shoot a bunch of threes and with a little reading comprehension and understanding of how things work, you'd understand. After all, it's how this team has functioned for the last 7 years.

Reactions: rholtgraves

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Don't be an asshat. Nobody said that.

You are really a terrible poster. Most posters can disagree without being a jerk. You should learn from them.

Maybe I will. I just don't the hate for Solomon on here. We wouldn't have even made the tourney last year without him. He's developed into a serviceable Big 12 forward.

No all of a sudden he's benched because some guy from one of the biggest scrub programs in basketball is eligible next year?

I'm not hating on Jacobson, if he turns out to be better fine, that's a win for everyone. I'm just going to take a wait and see approach before I crown him.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I don't even consider Jacobsen his real threat right now. Sure, they're similar guys but I think if Prohm could look to sliding an improved Talley, THT, or Lewis into the lineup to give Babb, Wigginton, Shayok, and Lard space, that's going to be very attractive. All of those guys would benefit heavily by pulling bodies out of the lane. My entire point is that if he can shoot even close to those other guys, he offers more than those guys likely will next year, especially against bigger lineups.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Maybe I will. I just don't the hate for Solomon on here. We wouldn't have even made the tourney last year without him. He's developed into a serviceable Big 12 forward.

No all of a sudden he's benched because some guy from one of the biggest scrub programs in basketball is eligible next year?

I'm not hating on Jacobson, if he turns out to be better fine, that's a win for everyone. I'm just going to take a wait and see approach before I crown him.
The funny thing is that I absolutely agree with you that Sol does a lot more for the team than most are giving him credit for as evidenced by my previous rating of your initial posts on the subject. That doesn't change the fact that him becoming more of a threat from 3 would make him even more valuable by opening up the lane to everyone's benefit.

He is valuable now and He could be more valuable in the future are not mutually exclusive statements.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
The funny thing is that I absolutely agree with you that Sol does a lot more for the team than most are giving him credit for as evidenced by my previous rating of your initial posts on the subject. That doesn't change the fact that him becoming more of a threat from 3 would make him even more valuable by opening up the lane to everyone's benefit.

He is valuable now and He could be more valuable in the future are not mutually exclusive statements.

I think we finally agree on something, just took all afternoon to sort things out.