Best Steak in Ames Area?

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Which restaurant currently has the best steak in the area?

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I had the skirt steak at Provisions a while back and it was great!! Very tender, cut very easy with a ton of flavor.

I've had both theirs and the one at the sister restaurant in North Ames, The Cafe. Both were "good". But I'm looking for more of a filet or ribeye. I miss Cafe Northwest.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I've had both theirs and the one at the sister restaurant in North Ames, The Cafe. Both were "good". But I'm looking for more of a filet or ribeye. I miss Cafe Northwest.

The filet at Django down in DSM with bernaise sauce and duck frites is the best menu item in central Iowa, IMO.

• Winner
Reactions: CycoCyclone

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Aunt Maude's NY strip would be my favorite steak in town.

The Iowa Stater Restaurant (at the Gateway hotel) has a pretty good NY Strip, never had the Filet but they have one there. +39 on stange in somerset has a good ribeye and makes a good Manhattan. I'd recommend +39 if you haven't been there before.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi and Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Django hanger steak with duck frites and au poivre is my favorite. Great service there too.

That is usually what I order, too, as I still have a little extra left over. I've shared the filet before (the portions are huge!), and it was also fantastic. I love au poivre, also. I usually go bernaise just because it's also a great dip for the duck frites!

The service is so awesome. I totally put my foot in my mouth once there with our waiter (I mean, Janny had to wonder how much to tack onto the tip for "accidental racism") - and he took the time to figure out what I was bumbling about and answer my question with a smile. GREAT waiters. We go pretty well every year for New Year's.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I'll be honest, I've never understood ordering a steak at a restaurant. It's so overpriced! You can go to any grocery store in Iowa and get a premium cut of meat for a quarter the price of one at restaurant, and it's not like there is all that much to cooking a steak.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Maudes is the best in town but more fine dining than steakhouse.

Open flame has a good steakhouse feel and decent cuts, I just wish they didn't charge so much extra to have it cooked in the kitchen.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I'll be honest, I've never understood ordering a steak at a restaurant. It's so overpriced! You can go to any grocery store in Iowa and get a premium cut of meat for a quarter the price of one at restaurant, and it's not like there is all that much to cooking a steak.

I agree with this, but this Django hanger steak has me intrigued.

• Friendly
  • Agree
Reactions: mj4cy and Angie

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron