Best Steak in Ames Area?

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I'll be honest, I've never understood ordering a steak at a restaurant. It's so overpriced! You can go to any grocery store in Iowa and get a premium cut of meat for a quarter the price of one at restaurant, and it's not like there is all that much to cooking a steak.

Well sometimes the lady deserves a nice dinner out. I for one am going to order a nice meal and not a burger. Most commonly it’s a steak. It’s not about going out to eat for the steak, it’s about night out, time with the wife enjoying a nice meal and being catered too.

Same agrument as people saying why pay for tickets to an ISU fb game when I already get it on TV.

In both cases you get the same, the difference is the experience you pay for.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
The filet at Django down in DSM with bernaise sauce and duck frites is the best menu item in central Iowa, IMO.

Never tried that but their exotic Mac n cheeses are freaking amazing!

Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I agree with this, but this Django hanger steak has me intrigued.

I rarely order steak when we go out, unless I'm really in the mood or going specifically somewhere like 801 Chophouse. (Or pregnant. I get the red meat fever when pregnant.) But it is my go-to dish in Des Moines, just don't forget the duck frites.

Never tried that but their exotic Mac n cheeses are freaking amazing!

Janny got some on the side of a sandwich he got last time we went!

83cy

May 14, 2006
Red meat fever.....hmmmm but I do love a good steak prepared at a restaurant especially when it's cold out.

Reactions: Angie

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Just go anywhere. The worst steak in Ames is better than the best steak in Texas. (Assuming based on your name you're in Texas too.) Things I miss, in this order...good people, Cyclones, good beef.
Dallas has some amazing steak houses. And also hundreds of great Cyclones here. We often outnumber TCU fans at some events. As for steak houses in Dallas: Papas Bros, Three Forks, Silver Fox, DelFriscos, Bobs. They’re better than any I’ve found in central Iowa in years, and that’s depressing - which is the reason for my question.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Well sometimes the lady deserves a nice dinner out. I for one am going to order a nice meal and not a burger. Most commonly it’s a steak. It’s not about going out to eat for the steak, it’s about night out, time with the wife enjoying a nice meal and being catered too.

Same agrument as people saying why pay for tickets to an ISU fb game when I already get it on TV.

In both cases you get the same, the difference is the experience you pay for.

I like going out for a nice meal too, but most restaurants I've gone to have a lot more than steak and burgers on the menu. There are all sorts of dishes that require a lot more ingredients and skill than a hunk of meat, a grill, and 10 minutes of my time. If you want to pay a premium for that more power to you.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Dallas has some amazing steak houses. And also hundreds of great Cyclones here. We often outnumber TCU fans at some events. As for steak houses in Dallas: Papas Bros, Three Forks, Silver Fox, DelFriscos, Bobs. They’re better than any I’ve found in central Iowa in years, and that’s depressing - which is the reason for my question.
Agree to disagree. I think grass fed beef is total crap. Ive been to every steakhouse you listed. Expensive yes but not good quality beef.

• Agree
Reactions: ruflosn

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
I'll be honest, I've never understood ordering a steak at a restaurant. It's so overpriced! You can go to any grocery store in Iowa and get a premium cut of meat for a quarter the price of one at restaurant, and it's not like there is all that much to cooking a steak.

Depends where you're eating. If you go to a true high end steak house, you're getting a cut of meat that is nearly impossible to get at home.

Also to answer this question, head 3 hours north to Minneapolis and go to Burch. :)

sleestakCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 2, 2013
The high end steak houses will use prime steaks dry aged for at least 30 days. You generally can't duplicate that at home.

I think I saw dry aged steaks being sold at the downtown DM Hy-Vee. Might be worth a try.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
The high end steak houses will use prime steaks dry aged for at least 30 days. You generally can't duplicate that at home.

I think I saw dry aged steaks being sold at the downtown DM Hy-Vee. Might be worth a try.

All of Hy-Vee's dry aged steaks are choice.