Keeping Campbell

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
There are 130 FBS teams. 77 have coaches that have been at their program less than 4 years. Only 12 FBS teams have a coach they've had more than 10 years. It's a merry-go-round. Let yourself enjoy the time he's here without worrying about when he's going to leave. He's won 7 games so far as our head coach!!!

And LOL at those who think Ohio State's hiring him any time soon. If he rips off a couple conference championships or at least plays in the conference championship game a couple times, they may have him on a list. You do know who they can hire if they want to, right? The list is almost unlimited.

C'mon people, just relax.

Whether Ohio State will want him is the big question. I have little doubt that someone as deeply rooted in Ohio as Campbell wants to coach at Ohio State. But that doesn't mean that they want him, particularly when they can have just about anyone they want. He is going to have to make us really, really good in order to move the powers in Columbus. And if it happens, great! It means that we have become really, really good.

• Agree
Reactions: Ryan4069

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
At some point our fan base is going to figure out that this isn't 10 years ago and that Iowa State can afford to pay a pretty hefty price tag for a head coach and the assistance.
And also figure out that Iowa State is now a great place to work to many coaches, and that outsiders in the industry do not necessarily view success at ISU as some sign of being a savant.

This isn't ISC with an unsupportive administration. In my lifetime no coach of MBB or FB has jumped ship at the first offer after achieving modest success. The Chizik situation is odd all-around, but his background going in suggested short-term stay. Perhaps Floyd and Hoiberg bailed early, but they left for the pros, which very few college programs are immune to.

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
A lot of good points here. Back to the OP's concern that Iowa State has lost every winning coach we've had (though its been a while)...am I right?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: WooBadger18

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
At this point in time and the near future I'm not worried about teams like Ohio State. Even if MC took Iowa State to 2 bowl games in the next couple of years could you imagine that fanbase when they are told MC is their coach? If MC is successful in the next few years the teams to worry about are schools like Illinois, Purdue, and maybe Tennessee.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
At this point in time and the near future I'm not worried about teams like Ohio State. Even if MC took Iowa State to 2 bowl games in the next couple of years could you imagine that fanbase when they are told MC is their coach? If MC is successful in the next few years the teams to worry about are schools like Illinois, Purdue, and maybe Tennessee.

If CMC would leave for Illinois or Purdue let's just hang it up now. Retire the program.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
A lot of good points here. Back to the OP's concern that Iowa State has loss every winning coach we've had (though its been a while)...am I right?
6 of the top 100 college coaches of all time coached or played at ISU:
John Cooper #99
Jackie Sherrill #89
Johnny Majors #67
Mack Brown #48
Pete Carroll #38
Pop Warner #14

And that doesnt include Earl Bruce or Jimmy Johnson

Not to mention cheesedick won a National Championship.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/192030618/best-100-college-football-coaches-ever-top-25

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I'm enjoying it, and was wrong about how Blah the offense was during the Texas game and not being confident in Manning then I get served a heaping plate of crow after the Oklahoma game. During the Texas game I just was waiting for us to just light em up and we didn't **** happens and at weird times.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
If CMC would leave for Illinois or Purdue let's just hang it up now. Retire the program.
Lovie Smith has a 6 year, $21 million base contract at Illinois. He stands in a much better recruiting base, is in a more stable conference that has better TV exposure. I'm not saying he's going to leave. I just told everyone to relax and enjoy. But there are a lot of crappy programs that can throw huge money at these guys.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
I If we are fortunate to get to 6-6, no big ass name school is going to come calling.
Disagree. The entire SEC is a revolving door except for Bama/Saban. The Cornholers in Lincoln are headed in the wrong direction fast. Urban Meyer is another mental breakdown from retiring... again. The only thing constant about life is change. And CMC will be hot commodity even at 6-6.

• Useful
  • Disagree
Reactions: StClone and ComCY

im4cyru

Mar 30, 2014

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Lovie Smith has a 6 year, $21 million base contract at Illinois. He stands in a much better recruiting base, is in a more stable conference that has better TV exposure. I'm not saying he's going to leave. I just told everyone to relax and enjoy. But there are a lot of crappy programs that can throw huge money at these guys.
Save your bs for another thread, CMC isn't going to Illinois or Purdue.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
If you've spent any quality time with CMC you would believe he is here as long as we want him. But, I wouldn't say that closer to home wouldn't be attractive to him. This is a guy that threw away a full ride at a Power 5 school for the love of football and winning. He is not your average coach.

Kind of funny how this thread resurrects, just different names of the subjects. https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/official-worry-about-rhoads-leaving-thread.162250/

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
I dont want to get the cart in front of the horse here...but after reading about how much of a dumpster fire KU football is, it just goes to show you how bad things can be, and how lucky we are for CMC. HYPOTHETICALLY, we go to a bowl game this year. Will other programs come calling? And if they do, can we keep him? Id be willing to pay mid to top dollar for him. His staff is solid, he can recruit well, and people are really excited about ISU football. I think if he stays we are consistently in the top of the Big 12 in the next 3 years.

Where is he going? If we are going to play this game already, lets at least have a destination for him.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
CMC is here for the long haul.

I honestly think CMC has eyes for only one other program - The Ohio State University (just like virtually any other Ohioan). He has a long way to go before he ever gets that call - if he ever does.

And if he ever does end up at another program besides OSU, well, he probably deserved it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron