Stupid logo hate thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This is the one that should have been used. Make it gold and make it span over the whole helmet. It's perfect. If you want to modernize the look just a little, fine, but it doesn't have to look like something from clip art.

images

url

Hadn't really thought about how I felt about it until this post.
Yes, this is what should have happened.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
It was mentioned earlier in the thread. But I'm sure you were too busy scrolling to read all of the posts that reinforce your own opinion.

Oh you mean I should take some random person's post as gospel that a couple of his friends liked it then disliked it? Or is there a bunch more examples of this?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Oh you mean I should take some random person's post as gospel that a couple of his friends liked it then disliked it? Or is there a bunch more examples of this?

So because people reportedly didn't agree with you and automatically hate it the moment they laid eyes on it they're 1. liars or 2. terrible ISU fans. Got it.

Just admit it - you will never be happy with anything that's not the god-awful Criner logo.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Many people didn't like it when they first saw it - the rest hate it because of groupthink. Dead serious. Many people actually liked it when they first saw it but then started hating it because they were told to hate it by everyone else that hated it.

Thats BS. It was ugly as fk when it came out and it still is. Even my 17 year old who had his buddies over last night commented on how freaking bad it was. Did they even do any market research?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Thats BS. It was ugly as fk when it came out and it still is. Even my 17 year old who had his buddies over last night commented on how freaking bad it was. Did they even do any market research?

So because you and your daughter and several people in this thread hated it, everyone hated it. Got it.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
So because people reportedly didn't agree with you and automatically hate it the moment they laid eyes on it they're 1. liars or 2. terrible ISU fans. Got it.

Just admit it - you will never be happy with anything that's not the god-awful Criner logo.

I have no idea what point you're trying to prove. You said many people liked it initially,but started hating it bc others told them to. I asked for some examples and you got more upset. Do you work for the firm that designed this? I'm sorry for hurting your feelings.

• Funny
Reactions: cynile

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
SIAP if this link was posted in the thread already, Chris wrote a sound-off about the logo in a column Friday.

Let’s hash out this new secondary logo

CW’s larger point (I think) is this: Alternate logos and alt-unis are a recruiting gizmo.

Valid.

I could say many things about the subject, but I’ll keep it brief: Not every design-tweak is automatically Golden. And this logo is awful.
I'm 1000000% in favor of alt-unis and a secondary logo. I just assumed it wouldn't suck.

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
This logo sucks without outside group opinion. It is terrible. The logo on shirts looks worse. Whoever said it looks good on shirts is also wrong. It looks stupid! Even after sleeping on it and being open minded...still hate it.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Not digging what you saw last night? Hold onto your britches. When it comes to wacky uniform combinations that often times work and sometimes will not, Iowa State football is only a toddler.

Just wait until puberty hits next season.

* * *​

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

If this secondary logo is an indication of the direction that we are going to go as a football program and athletics program, things are going to get ugly fast.

Teenage years never go well. Can we just skip to adulthood?

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Many people didn't like it when they first saw it - the rest hate it because of groupthink. Dead serious. Many people actually liked it when they first saw it but then started hating it because they were told to hate it by everyone else that hated it.
this is 100% correct. thats why car companies, sports teams, architecture firms, new podcasts, new tv shows etc... utilize social media blasts. They post the new item and then immediately have tons of social media accounts like it/comment positively on it/ etc. they either hire a firm to do it or own the accounts themselves. The idea is if most of the very first reviews are positive (which they were when the new logo was sent out and received rave reviews from most national sports accounts) they will overwhelm the 5-10 trolls that post the same joke over and over thus winning over the thoughtless demographic that are followers. ISU should have utilized this. Instead someone said something about a chip and the people in this thread piled on even though that is as ridiculous as the hawk logo looks like fred flintstone.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
The logo seemed backwards to me last night and it bothered me but looking at the image earlier in the thread, I can see why they had to put it "backwards". The holes and other items on the side of the helmet only gave them that orientation to place the decal unless the made the decal smaller.
this is an excellent example why all of you armchair designers have no idea what youre talking about. Similar to the iowa liscense plate disaster recently where everyone freaked out on the designer until she came out and said "heres why I had to do it the way I did it". Unless you are going to make helmets with no "holes" in them, you dont have free reign to do whatever you want. Anyone (except for the guy that uses ms paint to show helmet designs apparently) can slap a "logo" on a helmet in photo editiing. A designer has to figure out how to fit it properly on an actual real life helmet that is not just an internet photo. Figure out how to make it work on several different colors of apparel as well as make it useful in graphic design.