Stupid logo hate thread

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I didn't create a poll because it 100% sucks. Case closed.
Oh, I agree with that. However, I was kind of curious to see whether anyone out there might be...................open minded enough to cast a dissenting vote, and who that might be. :cool:

However, mostly thought it would be useful for the Athletic Department to see such clear and obvious evidence of a united front on the subject.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/487-KXnO-Sports-Fanatics-28237065/

CW interview with Pollard talks about the terrible logo. Starts about 12:00 in. Pollard basically says screw the fans, he only cares about three groups - the players, football program, and vendors. It was kept a secret so it would be a surprise for the players, so I doubt they had a chance to get feedback to how awful it looked before they rolled it out.

Do the players even like it!? Why on earth do ignore the people that are here for the long haul - the fans!?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Why on earth do ignore the people that are here for the long haul - the fans!?

That part of CW's column doesn't sit well with me, "it's not about you" (i.e., fans).

It's true the alternate-uniform has a focus on how players and potential recruits receive the willingness to vary the look. But we have a lot of alumni and/or longtime ISU fans on this board, and few argue against having a mixture of looks. Some of us disagree which combinations look best and have varied preference.

If a logo is *ahem* uniformly despised on CF, that might be a red-flag (cardinal-flag?) that it should be reconsidered. It's our school/our team, too.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
That part of CW's column doesn't sit well with me, "it's not about you" (i.e., fans).

It's true the alternate-uniform has a focus on how players and potential recruits receive the willingness to vary the look. But we have a lot of alumni and/or longtime ISU fans on this board, and few argue against having a mixture of looks. Some of us disagree which combinations look best and have varied preference.

If a logo is *ahem* uniformly despised on CF, that might be a red-flag (cardinal-flag?) that it should be reconsidered. It's our school/our team, too.

Agree completely. Hope Chris addresses this in his next article. This isn’t going away so I assume one is coming...

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Oh, I agree with that. However, I was kind of curious to see whether anyone out there might be...................open minded enough to cast a dissenting vote, and who that might be. :cool:

However, mostly thought it would be useful for the Athletic Department to see such clear and obvious evidence of a united front on the subject.
I did my own poll. 2% don't like alternate uniforms, 0% liked the logo, and 98% like alternate uniforms but hated this hideous early nineties cartoon crap that is completely indistinguishable from 20 feet away.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

I'm not concerned if CW doesn't think it's about us. If Pollard is saying that then I have an issue. I can't hear the podcast, but if he says something like that at the 12 minute mark then we have a disconnect.

Why am I driving 5 hours each way and paying real money if none of this is about me the fan? This is college athletics. ISU fans do have more of an ownership in the product. Would we support our pro team if they gave us 3 wins a year? No.

If I'm told that the fans don't matter I'll stop wearing out the car and save some money on ISU tickets and gear.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
"Chuck, Joe wants to see the mock ups of the new Cyclone logo asap."
"I didn't do it. I thought you were designing their new logo."
"Crap. Well, we have ten minutes before the meeting. Hand be a Post-It note and a red sharpie."

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines

That point is insanely laughable. These moves are well calculated and vetted thoroughly by the AD. The fact that you deem that CF is be a weather vane for AD is ridiculous. CF is the fanatical fringe of the fan base, that is the political equivalent to the bleeding heart liberals and crackpot conservatives The logo is fine and looks vastly improved on white and gray surfaces. This logo change is great for the bottom line in terms of merchandise sales and I can guarantee fans will still show up regardless.

goldmember

May 31, 2006
I'm a big Pollard advocate, but what good does it do the vendors, if nobody buys product with this embarrassing logo. I'm all for a new secondary logo (The severed head logo is bad too) and I'm all for alternative uniforms. Good leadership is recognizing a mistake, and correcting it.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
That point is insanely laughable. These moves are well calculated and vetted thoroughly by the AD. The fact that you deem that CF is be a weather vane for AD is ridiculous. CF is the fanatical fringe of the fan base, that is the political equivalent to the bleeding heart liberals and crackpot conservatives The logo is fine and looks vastly improved on white and gray surfaces. This logo change is great for the bottom line in terms of merchandise sales and I can guarantee fans will still show up regardless.

No, it doesn't. It looks like a cartoon slice of pizza. It's an embarrassment.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I'm a big Pollard advocate, but what good does it do the vendors, if nobody buys product with this embarrassing logo. I'm all for a new secondary logo (The severed head logo is bad too) and I'm all for alternative uniforms. Good leadership is recognizing a mistake, and correcting it.
Not sure JP likes to admit he made a mistake

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Well, if JP doesn't care what the fans think, but he does care what the vendors think, I say we all boycott buying anything with this new stupid logo on it.

Not that we really need to boycott buying it though, because I don't think hardly anyone is going to buy it anyway since it looks comical and ugly.

But if we don't buy it, then maybe next time JP will in fact care about us fans and what we think, since without us, JP doesn't even have a job and there isn't even a football program.

C'mon folks.... do everything possible to make this logo go away ASAP. Do not buy this crap. I'm a very proud graduate of ISU and love my school, and I HATE seeing us be mocked all across the country for this hideous looking logo. It's embarrassing. Being not very good at football is bad enough, but looking like a bunch of clowns while doing it is even worse.

Oh.... and by the way... JP obviously never showed the players the logo beforehand because he said he wanted to surprise them. I bet they hate it too.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It's ugly on it's own, but what really is bad about it is that it has both cardinal and gold in it. Why? Having cardinal in your logo, on top of a cardinal helmet is just awful. Can you imagine Iowa's tigerhawk logo having both yellow and black in it, on top of a black helmet? It would even be uglier than it is currently.

If we're going to have a tornado on our cardinal helmet, it should be an all gold tornado. This is pretty simple design stuff here. And if we had a gold helmet (which is ridiculous that we don't), then the tornado should be cardinal. On the white helmet you'd probably go with the cardinal logo, although you could use the gold one if you wanted, but that would look pretty bad.

This was just messed up beyond belief from the get go. Does anyone still know if we had some kind of focus group for this? I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of dollars we spent on this complete embarrassing garbage. I suppose it's too much to just ditch it and start over now most likely.

We went from one game (Akron) wearing a new nice clean stenciled sharp logo, to the next game (Texas) wearing a busy, cluttered, ugly multi colored piece of garbage. Only ISU.

I just realized that this new horrible logo has 2 shades of cardinal on it, which makes it even worse than the piece of garbage I thought it was.

So not only did we have a cardinal logo on a cardinal helmet, we had 2 shades of cardinal in our logo on a cardinal helmet. Which, you know what that means.... one of them doesn't even match the cardinal on the helmet.

Seriously, did someone just throw up on our helmet and we called it good?

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
Well, if JP doesn't care what the fans think, but he does care what the vendors think, I say we all boycott buying anything with this new stupid logo on it.

Not that we really need to boycott buying it though, because I don't think hardly anyone is going to buy it anyway since it looks comical and ugly.

But if we don't buy it, then maybe next time JP will in fact care about us fans and what we think, since without us, JP doesn't even have a job and there isn't even a football program.

C'mon folks.... do everything possible to make this logo go away ASAP. Do not buy this crap. I'm a very proud graduate of ISU and love my school, and I HATE seeing us be mocked all across the country for this hideous looking logo. It's embarrassing. Being not very good at football is bad enough, but looking like a bunch of clowns while doing it is even worse.

Oh.... and by the way... JP obviously never showed the players the logo beforehand because he said he wanted to surprise them. I bet they hate it too.

Seeing as this is only recorded account of the players reaction, safe to say they like it. I can’t wait to get my Nike shirt with this logo!

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: cynile and Cycsk