Dunkirk - The Movie

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
Amazing trailer, looks like several hours of historically heavy emotions....I'm in

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Nolan is not invincible (not a big fan of Inception and The Dark Knight Rises), but The Prestige, Memento, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and Interstellar are some of my favorite films of all-time. He is fast becoming the modern Kubrick -- only 1-2 films per genre, but each defining in their own ways, and always maintaining that Nolan "feel" somehow.

Reusing the same casts certainly helps with that. :)

Christopher Nolan + WWII war epic = BOING!!!

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I'm pretty excited about this one, I might have to pay the money to actually watch it in the theater. Who else is ready to see some Allies trying to get the heck out of France early in the war?

If you enjoy/can handle IMAX I think that will be the way to go. Went to Rogue One at the science center in Des Moines and they showed a 7 minute Dunkirk clip before. Honestly the most intense movie going experience ever for me. So pumped for this!

• Informative
Reactions: DurangoCy

leschmick1785

Jul 12, 2013
Nolan is not invincible (not a big fan of Inception and The Dark Knight Rises), but The Prestige, Memento, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and Interstellar are some of my favorite films of all-time. He is fast becoming the modern Kubrick -- only 1-2 films per genre, but each defining in their own ways, and always maintaining that Nolan "feel" somehow.

Reusing the same casts certainly helps with that. :)

Christopher Nolan + WWII war epic = BOING!!!

What don't you like about Inception? One of my favorite movies.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
What don't you like about Inception? One of my favorite movies.

It is not a bad movie -- far from it. It is a very good one.

In the hands of any other director, I might appreciate it more, but it has some stiff competition from the other works on Nolan's list. He had just come off The Dark Knight.

It just suffers from the really high standards that I expected. :)

I kind of view it like Eyes Wide Shut or AI -- again, suffering on expectations.

My main problems with it...?

-- convoluted plot... tries to be a caper film but never focuses on it
-- becomes impossible to follow the "dreams within dreams" at the end
-- felt like more of an SFX demo reel than a real film with memorable characters
-- the science fiction concept at the heart of it... people can collectively dream... is not really situated in the "real world," nor are the economic or political implications much explored
-- becomes sort of a slog towards the end

I am fine with long films and twisty plots -- Interstellar is an absolute favorite of mine despite critics easily making these same points against it. However, the characters and settings in Interstellar hit home for me... I guess they missed for Inception. :)

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Nolan has become my favorite active director - Kubrick of course is in a class all his own, but we have a too-short catalog of his works to savor. But Nolan really knows how to tell a story, and his visuals are SO sumptuous......yes, I'm excited to see this, too. Pride, I'll go with you if you don't mind, because my wife doesn't give a rat's a$$ about it either. ;)

Reactions: Sigmapolis

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Yikes, its not Rated R?

Its not going to have much war in then...

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yikes, its not Rated R?

Its not going to have much war in then...

It's hard to get a studio to give you $200+ million to make a movie if you are going to have an R rating on it in the end. For that investment, everybody and their grandmother needs to go to it, including lots of grandmas in China, which an R inhibits greatly.

One of my biggest complains about The Dark Knight, if there were even many to be had, was some of the hand-to-hand action scenes were edited to incoherence to remove any sense of violence or brutality from them. The Dark Knight shot with "medium R" in mind, something like Dirty Harry or The French Connection, would have blown what is left of my mind.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Have any of you guys see the R-Rated Pearl Harbor cut? That by far is a much more enjoyable version than the PG-13 version. I have a feeling we will see something similar with this movie.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Headed to Dunkirk next Thursday night and can't wait. Early word is it's off the charts great. I follow some national movie reviewers on Twitter and they said it's one of the best movies they've ever seen. Not this year. Not the past decade. Ever. Also said it's Nolan's masterpiece...which is saying something because a handful of his movies are pretty great.

• Informative
Reactions: jay moe

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Go see this movie. It is flat out impressive and incredible in all aspects. I'm a huge Nolan fan and this is tops for him in my book. And guess what...Harry Styles has an acting career if he wants it. He was pretty damn good.

A+

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Go see this movie. It is flat out impressive and incredible in all aspects. I'm a huge Nolan fan and this is tops for him in my book. And guess what...Harry Styles has an acting career if he wants it. He was pretty damn good.

A+

Assuming we will get your FULL review in the morning edition of CF? ;)

• Agree
Reactions: dahliaclone

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I can but it's really one you should see just going in cold. It starts off with a bang, literally, and doesn't let up. Ever. It's basically the first 25 minutes of Saving Private Ryan but an entire movie albeit not gory at all despite many many deaths.

It's basically three story lines: land (a week), sea (a day) and air (one hour) and like all Nolan movies there is a time aspect where all these come together at the same moment and oof. It's ******* intense.

You never see the Germans. Just air raids and bullets and torpedos. It's a war movie but more about survival and the fisherman from England that took their ships across the channel to save 400k soldiers that were surrounded on the beach at Dunkirk.

The direction and cinematography are some of the best I've ever seen. Some of the shots Nolan used are just jaw dropping.

And be aware. There is very very little dialogue in the whole movie.

Help Support Us

Become a patron