Random Thoughts X (The 9th Regeneration)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I do have the service plan through our utility company so I'm hoping that they'll fix it for free (well, for the monthly cost of the plan). If not, this will be the first thing I try. I am a bit concerned that it is something else since it runs when the machine is turned off.

If it runs when it's turned off, it means it's possessed. Cart it to the corner and put a free sign on it.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Saw Alien: Covenant last night. It was entertaining, but I was worried going in that I would feel like I've seen this before. And that's what it felt like to me. Have heard people say if you were disappointed with Prometheus, you'd like Covenant more, but if you liked Prometheus, Covenant would disappoint. I found that to be pretty accurate. To me, Prometheus had a much better original story. The new one wasn't particularly original and the "twists" they included I found fairly obvious. It's definitely watchable, but just not 'great.'

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I'm sick and tired of these ****** idiots that don't know the rules of the road. Going to the first job today, we come up to a stoplight that is just flashing red. That means all-way stop. Same if the stoplights aren't working at all. The guy coming from my right stops before I do. He sits there for a little bit, obviously doesn't know what to do. I'm waiting for him to go when I say **** it and start to go. This jackass floors it so I have to stop again. Across from was a semi that had been sitting there for at least 30 seconds, again obviously didn't know what to do.

Then, on our way back from a job, I come up to an intersection where I need to turn right. I don't need to stop, cross traffic does. I'm about to turn when I see this ****** dumbass on a bicycle blow right through the stop sign. I had to slam on the brakes. I was driving the log trailer, but it was empty otherwise I wouldn't have been able to stop in time. What gets me is that this ****** was looking at me the whole time expecting me to stop for him. If I would have hit him or he ran into me, he would have lost either way.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Prepping for our relay across Iowa here in a few weeks. One guy on the team is determined to do this in the most difficult way possible.

Learning again why I always hated group projects.

How's the running going? I am almost knee and hip pain free and about to give running a shot again. Been a good boy and biking, walking and doing da legs at Lifetime.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I hope you mean by stopping at stop signs.

I bike like a safety nerd. I come to more of a complete stop then most car drivers do. Do not always go full foot on the pavement stop if no one else is there but I have not seen a car full stop at a stop sign in the absence of other cars at the intersection in years unless I am the one driving.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I hope you mean by stopping at stop signs.
Nice. As I've said before sorry about the ******* bikers out there. I think the cyclists who do it the right way get pissed off as much or more than the motorists at these idiots. I'll slow and go through a stop sign from time to time but only when there is no one to affect by my law bending. By slow and go I mean slowing to a speed that is generally as slow as most people's rolling stop in their car. If there is someone waiting I will completely stop and put a foot down if I have to. If they are clearly waiting to see what I'm going to do I will wave them through as I'm working on coming to my stop.

It is sad how little enforcement there is of cyclist scofflaws up here. You can watch a cop in a patrol car get passed by a cyclist blowing through a stop light and never see them even pull over and talk to the cyclist. I guess it will take a couple of cyclists to get killed by motorists for the authorities to figure out that it really is a problem.

/rant

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Nice. As I've said before sorry about the ******* bikers out there. I think the cyclists who do it the right way get pissed off as much or more than the motorists at these idiots. I'll slow and go through a stop sign from time to time but only when there is no one to affect by my law bending. By slow and go I mean slowing to a speed that is generally as slow as most people's rolling stop in their car. If there is someone waiting I will completely stop and put a foot down if I have to. If they are clearly waiting to see what I'm going to do I will wave them through as I'm working on coming to my stop.

It is sad how little enforcement there is of cyclist scofflaws up here. You can watch a cop in a patrol car get passed by a cyclist blowing through a stop light and never see them even pull over and talk to the cyclist. I guess it will take a couple of cyclists to get killed by motorists for the authorities to figure out that it really is a problem.

/rant

Actually they do not enforce any traffic laws up here much other then running speed traps in some suburbs. I could drive around Golden Valley and give out dozens of tickets a day. Actually, going by the names on the police reports from GV and stereotyping on names some, it doesn't look like the cops here in GV stop anyone that they don't think is black, Hispanic, Somali or Hmong.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Actually they do not enforce any traffic laws up here much other then running speed traps in some suburbs. I could drive around Golden Valley and give out dozens of tickets a day. Actually, going by the names on the police reports from GV and stereotyping on names some, it doesn't look like the cops here in GV stop anyone that they don't think is black, Hispanic, Somali or Hmong.
I haven't done a study and I don't know who is getting a ticket and who is given a warning but from what I see in BP there is no apparent correlation between your race and getting pulled over.

Every time I am driving in rush hour traffic and there is some asshat weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating in each lane they get in and using an exit lane or shoulder as a passing lane I wish a cop were around to pull them over. Then I remember that every time someone gets pulled over - even way off the road on the shoulder - four lanes of traffic in each direction gets slowed down to 20-30 mph below the speed limit because apparently no one has ever seen a car pulled over and has to slow down to gawk and take a picture. If it happens to be a fender bender change that to 30-40 mph below the speed limit. If it is actually a more serious accident traffic almost slows to the point of moving backward.

Status
Not open for further replies.