HBO's Silicon Valley

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I'm still thoroughly enjoying watching this but lately I've been waiting for it to actually go somewhere. It's getting kind of repetitive with the whole company is almost off the ground then it gets screwed up scenarios over and over again.

Oh, and Jared is awesome.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Dinesh delivered!

Man, I love when Gavin gets screwed over.

First, "Gavin gets screwed over" implies that he's a victim of circumstance or other people. The truth is basically since episode 1 Gavin is a victim of his own scheming - he's regularly screwing himself over because he's a greedy power-hungry shyster.

Second, I rather enjoy Gavin regularly screwing himself over.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm still thoroughly enjoying watching this but lately I've been waiting for it to actually go somewhere. It's getting kind of repetitive with the whole company is almost off the ground then it gets screwed up scenarios over and over again.

Jared trying to do guy talk is awesome.

I didn't watch more than about one of the seasons of The Office that he was on, and the characters are very, very similar - but he really does that role well.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Moar nudity and violence? It is HBO after all. ;)

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
This is my favorite show on TV. The Bighead / Stanford scenes were great this week. Action Jack was great in his line of this is what I could have done.

Basically everyone other than Richard is just killing it this season. He's getting annoying.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
This is my favorite show on TV. The Bighead / Stanford scenes were great this week. Action Jack was great in his line of this is what I could have done.

Basically everyone other than Richard is just killing it this season. He's getting annoying.
Totally get the annoyance of Richard over the past couple seasons. I hear a lot of people express the same thoughts.

My thought on it is, the character is supposed to piss you the **** off. He is an unbelievably smart Steve Wozniak-type guy who is trying to learn how to become Steve Jobs/Gavin Belson. It shows how difficult it is to make it in Silicon Valley, even when you have something that literally nobody else can touch, just because you can market it or surround yourself it the correct people. I think all of those things, and other tech-y stereotypes, all encompass who Richard is and he is a personification of Silicon Valley life. I love his character for how much I squirm when he is messing up or trying to form a sentence in public, but always rooting for him.

Last edited:

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
One of my coworker's daughters works in Silicon Valley for Palantir. She did one of her internships with Facebook and had offers out of college with numerous companies. We see her each time we're in the Bay area meeting with some of our customers. What is amazing is that those people in Silicon Valley are EXACTLY like the characters on the show! It's hysterical to sit with them at the bars and 1) realize how insanely smart they are, and 2) how oblivious to real-life they are.

• Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: Dandy and srjclone

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I'm loving the start to this season. It may be my favorite first few episodes yet. I'm happy to see the expanded roles of Big Head and Jin Yang.

I've never minded the constant road blocks that seems to bother some because I feel like that's what would happen to someone trying to start a mega company in Silicon Valley.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm and srjclone

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Great episode, this is quickly becoming a show I could watch in repeats because I feel like Im missing out a lot of the jokes, like Jared laughing when asked if he was going to stab someone lol.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and srjclone

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
So what is going to derail the new Pied Piper?

When Richard was going through Peter Gregory's notebooks, I had the nagging thought that Gregory's estate or Reviga are going to come back to jack with him.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
So what is going to derail the new Pied Piper?

When Richard was going through Peter Gregory's notebooks, I had the nagging thought that Gregory's estate or Reviga are going to come back to jack with him.
There is something going to happen, or Gavin is going to try and take full ownership in it some how. You know something is going to happen, just not positive what. Also, is Russ Hanneman still an investor in his New Internet, or is he out now that he has Gavin funding him? Anyone know?

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I have only watched this show last year and this. Probably should go back and watch the first couple of seasons.

• Agree

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
There is something going to happen, or Gavin is going to try and take full ownership in it some how. You know something is going to happen, just not positive what. Also, is Russ Hanneman still an investor in his New Internet, or is he out now that he has Gavin funding him? Anyone know?

I have a feeling this is going to be 'the something' that goes wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I have only watched this show last year and this. Probably should go back and watch the first couple of seasons.

Yes you should. Last season was the worst so far. Season 1 was really good (the jerk formula alone was the funniest thing on TV for a long time).

• Agree

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I'm seriously hoping they bring him back. Dude is hilarious.
appositive.gif

post-63339-Russ-Hanneman-slamming-car-doo-mjUD.gif