5 guys Burgers

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
The Outback Special cost the same $12-16 or so most would spend at 5 guys. 12 oz sirloin (not the greatest steak in the world but I guarantee as good or better than what 5 Guys grinds up), fries cut fresh daily, and a salad with made from scratch dressing, all fresh ingredients. It's also probably nearly twice the mass.

Agree the burger bar concepts are way overpriced. You should see what the burger bar concepts charge in LA. My wife and I can barely get out under $40 if we both order water, skip drinks and split an order of fries. If we both get beers and sides it's like a $65 ding (so obviously we don't do that but would rather go to a "real" restaurant).

um, don't eat at Outback. That isn't a proper steak house either.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Agree the burger bar concepts are way overpriced. You should see what the burger bar concepts charge in LA. My wife and I can barely get out under $40 if we both order water, skip drinks and split an order of fries. If we both get beers and sides it's like a $65 ding (so obviously we don't do that but would rather go to a "real" restaurant).

So an LA guy, have you been to The Counter? I have only been to the one walking distance from Caltech and thought it was really good and pretty expensive. Still, while more expensive than Five Guys, I would say it is a better value because the food is better. And looking at those greasy fries bags at Five Guys makes me a little sick.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Looks like Cyclones2001 is still the only invitee to my block party.

The fries are better than most fast food, still behind Wendy's. The cheese sauce is your typical movie theater, gas station, neon cheese. (No Taco Johns quality) That said it was a nice $.64 compliment to the fries. The burger reminded me of when Burger King was good. That old taste the heat on the meat, Hank Hill would not approve, but I do. Could do without all the "lettuce". It was very sloppy, but not greasy, and was made much better with some extra ketchup and mustard when I got home. I'm glad I didn't try to eat this while driving.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Why do they call a tenderloin, a sandwich when it is put on a bun? I always though a sandwich meant bread.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Why do they call a tenderloin, a sandwich when it is put on a bun? I always though a sandwich meant bread.

I think you're over thinking the label "sandwich".

For example, if I make PB & J on a hamburger bun (because I'm out of bread), I'm still making and eating a PB & J sandwich. There is just no other way to slice it. Pun intended.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Looks like Cyclones2001 is still the only invitee to my block party.

The fries are better than most fast food, still behind Wendy's. The cheese sauce is your typical movie theater, gas station, neon cheese. (No Taco Johns quality) That said it was a nice $.64 compliment to the fries. The burger reminded me of when Burger King was good. That old taste the heat on the meat, Hank Hill would not approve, but I do. Could do without all the "lettuce". It was very sloppy, but not greasy, and was made much better with some extra ketchup and mustard when I got home. I'm glad I didn't try to eat this while driving.

woo-hoo-images-bad-foot-therefore-my-2cdmLX-clipart.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: stateofmind

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Demoncore, BE-Bops is a central Ia. hamburger chain, most of them are just a drive thru with some outside seating, I know at least one in Des Moines has interior seating. Good burgers at a reasonable price. Priced about like McDonalds but way better burgers. The one in Ames is on Duff probably a mile So. of Lincoln Way(just guessing on the distance)
Ah, gotcha! Will have to try it if I ever make my way back up yonder... I just went to Flix Brewhouse last night (to see Mallrats!) and was very surprised at how good their food is... I only mention this because I saw that there is a Flix in Des Moines.

Reactions: NWICY

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Outback is to steakhouses what 5 Guys is to burger joints.

I'd say Outback is the cheapest place you can still call a steakhouse and 5 Guys is the most expensive place I've eaten that I'd still call fast food.

I like Outback for what it is, it's way better than most chain restaurants in the price range. I haven't gone to most of those in years and I'll still go to Outback sometimes. Funny that people all assumed I thought Outback was Gibsons or Lawry's.