RECRUITING: Morrow sets visit, Juiston visit info

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
If it isn't obvious yet, I would not believe anything that UNLV guy says. And like CW said, I wouldn't count the Kansas visit out yet.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Here's a recent article (April 11 and a much more reputable source than Inside the Rebels - more on that at the bottom of this post) regarding UNLVs class. What's most interesting to me is that UNLV received commits from 3 forwards:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...-take-step-forward-with-2nd-recruiting-class/

The Rebels picked up three more commitments who are expected to be announced Wednesday — 6-11 forward Chiekh Mbacke Diong of Melbourne’s Florida Air Academy, 6-6 forward Tervell Beck of OnPoint Hoops Academy in El Reno, Oklahoma, and 6-7 forward Anthony Smith of Feather River College in Quincy, California.

After three players left the program March 29, two open spots were created for scholarships.

UNLV brought in at least two junior college recruits last weekend, according to a source with knowledge of the visits. CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein reported one of those was 6-7 forward Shakur Juiston of Hutchison (Kansas) Community College, who, according to Zagsblog.com, also is considering Kansas, Oklahoma and Connecticut, among others.

UNLV just lost 3 players to transfer and the coach doesn't appear to be opposed to releasing players currently on scholarship:

Menzies has to decide whether more than two spots will be open, factoring in the effects on the Academic Progress Rate should other players depart UNLV. And he has to decide whether he has better players coming in rather than leaving before persuading anyone to exit.

“We’re looking at a lot of moving pieces because of the APR situation,” Menzies said. “We need to make sure that guys are staying on top of their academics, but at the same time, we’re evaluating how guys are handling their business daily here from the individual workouts to every component of the program.
It’s always an evaluation in your first year with new guys.”

It should be noted that the UNLV writer that has a high level of vitriol against ISU had to remove an article he published about Anthony Smith (their 6-7 Juco recruit) after he published an article that erroneously stated that the player had been dismissed from his Juco Program, so this guy may not have the most credible sources.

http://www.scout.com/college/unlv/story/1761160-public-apology-to-anthony-smith

Dear Anthony,

As a journalist we rely heavily on our sources. That's all we have in this game and we put our implicit trust in those that have helped us get to where we are. In reporting that you had been dismissed from Feather River, it was not only the wrong information, but it was irresponsible of me to have printed it as fact. I accept the blame of those actions one-hundred percent and I extend a sincere and humble apology from Inside the Rebels, but more importantly myself. It wasn't my intention to slander you, but to get news out to a very faithful fanbase. One that is going to accept you with open arms when you arrive at UNLV this summer. I fully retract my previous statement and have amended the article in question.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Waddilove

UNLV Basketball Editor and Publisher. Inside the Rebels.

Last edited:

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Like our chances. Prohm has done pretty well recruiting IMO. I think we get Juiston. Morrow as well. We would take Garrison Brooks but I don''t think we get him. We take Edwards and one grad transfer at guard. That is how I see it shaking out.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Like our chances. Prohm has done pretty well recruiting IMO. I think we get Juiston. Morrow as well. We would take Garrison Brooks but I don''t think we get him. We take Edwards and one grad transfer at guard. That is how I see it shaking out.

Edwards taking other visits kind of tells me that we are waiting to see what Egor and Brown are going to do first.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Swimming against the tide, but do we really need Morrow if we get Juiston? For the only year we get Morrow we would have Juiston as a senior, Young as a Junior, Lard as a sophomore. Race Thompson would be looking at very little playing time his freshman year if Morrow is here, which could hurt us in his recruitment. I am just not sure we need both Juiston and Morrow. I really like Murrow's game, but is it worth 2 years for 1 with what is on campus now?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Swimming against the tide, but do we really need Morrow if we get Juiston? For the only year we get Morrow we would have Juiston as a senior, Young as a Junior, Lard as a sophomore. Race Thompson would be looking at very little playing time his freshman year if Morrow is here, which could hurt us in his recruitment. I am just not sure we need both Juiston and Morrow. I really like Murrow's game, but is it worth 2 years for 1 with what is on campus now?

Morris is a proven D1 talent so yes

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016

Morrow is a sit 1, play 2 guy.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
If nothing else the Juiston watch should be coming to end soon. Maybe by this weekend? The faster the staff know the decision the better.

@AdamZagora 6-foot-7 Hutch star Shakur Juiston begins an official to DePaul tomorrow, his coach tells me. Was at UNLV this weekend.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

The other thought is how much PT would Thompson get as a FR if both Lard and Juiston pan out? Not only that, but I think the likelihood of Thompson playing right away is extremely low after seeing how it worked out with Solomon Young. If a guy like Morrow were to commit our young posts would have the ability to practice everyday against D1 talent everyday, which I think would better prepare our team for the future. Getting a kid like Thompson would be huge from a recruiting standpoint in that it puts ISU in the conversation with elite prospects, but I think a commitment from Morrow would mean better development for players like Young, Lard and Lewis.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
These AAU coach things can be deciding factor. That is basically how ISU got Blalock. Don't know how much influence the guy has but if he got him to visit Depaul he must have some pull.

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
If nothing else the Juiston watch should be coming to end soon. Maybe by this weekend? The faster the staff know the decision the better.

@AdamZagora 6-foot-7 Hutch star Shakur Juiston begins an official to DePaul tomorrow, his coach tells me. Was at UNLV this weekend.

So, he meant "Was at ISU this weekend", right? Or did I wake up in an alternate universe Monday.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
So, he meant "Was at ISU this weekend", right? Or did I wake up in an alternate universe Monday.

Zagoria corrected it in his recruiting round up article.

Now if we really want to read into the tweet we could interpret the reason for citing UNLV instead of ISU visit this weekend is he's hearing whispers about the Rebels inching in front.

FWIW I think he just tweeted quickly and it was a mistake but the conspiracy angle is more fun .

• Creative
Reactions: Messi

cychase_

Mar 27, 2017
Ames
From what I've seen Juiston is in Chicago today visiting DePaul, and if CW is right in saying the KU visit is in the air, could it be possible we hear a commitment before the weekend? I would assume ISU is in a pretty good spot unless Shakur is looking for a top notch theatre school in Chicago.

cychase_

Mar 27, 2017
Ames
Was just going to post this one. What a ****. Guy thinks he's big time. Appears to have no inside information. Just throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks. Thinks UNLV because Vegas... Sure pal.

Interesting that this is by far his most interacted with tweet, I wonder if the folks on here have anything to do with it.....