Campustown Redevelopment

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
"What makes you feel old?"

"None of the 5 businesses listed by name in the article existed when I went to ISU." (or at least that I can recall - last semester was Fall 2010)

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Why? It should be good for Ames and Iowa State. It isn't just eliminating the businesses. They will have nicer places when this is done if they stay there.
Hard to say if these businesses will return or if it will just become more and more commercialized

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Why? It should be good for Ames and Iowa State. It isn't just eliminating the businesses. They will have nicer places when this is done if they stay there.

Agree 100% - this is an efficient use of space that meets two needs at once, both residential and commercial/entertainment. Campustown was in need of a face-lift, a lot of those buildings weren't in great shape at all, and this is going to be the best way to do it because developers will be able to make more money this way. More money = nicer buildings. Also good for property tax.

• Agree
Reactions: jkclone

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Hard to say if these businesses will return or if it will just become more and more commercialized
If those businesses were so special they will be back. If they aren't then is it really a loss? Why would different businesses be bad?

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Well if its anything like the other business that were affect in the past.

A) if they are good they will move into a nicer place

B) die out because they aren't good

C) better businesses will pop up in its place.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
I'm not too dialed in with campustown revitalization currently but do keep an eye and ear out for news.

Are there any renderings or planned concepts out from Randall yet?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
as a student for 5 years i never went to any place on that stretch. kinda weird, right?

the sad thing for me as an urbanist is the loss of the individual ownership of buildings. certainly redevelopment is needed but what we find is the ownership is concentrated and businesses must rent instead of being able to buy their space. this leads to a completely different type of long-term presence in an area.

• Agree
Reactions: MNCYWX

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
as a student for 5 years i never went to any place on that stretch. kinda weird, right?

the sad thing for me as an urbanist is the loss of the individual ownership of buildings. certainly redevelopment is needed but what we find is the ownership is concentrated and businesses must rent instead of being able to buy their space. this leads to a completely different type of long-term presence in an area.

The ownership has been concentrated for a long time in this area, in some cases since the beginning of what is known as campustown. For instance the properties Kingland bought for their project were all owned by a single entity (the family of the man who originally constructed the buildings Al Champlin). There are only a very few businesses in campustown that don't rent. I agree that it would be better for the area if more businesses owned their property

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden

Not even Cafe B?

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Really hope Mr Burrito will hold a space in the new building. That burrito is fire
The caption on that picture is incorrect as the building mr. burrito is in is not part of the project. The buildings just the west are part of it contains the district, jia foods, and taste place.

Reactions: crawfy54
L

LincolnWay187

Is the city going to make them tear down the old bars like Paddy's and Mickeys? Why don't they put some nice buildings in there...no way those places should have been passing health codes..at least when I used to go to school.

L

LincolnWay187

Also, does anybody know what happened to/if he is still there Jerry the barber at all cuts on Lincoln Way. Nicest guy ever, kinda odd duck but nice old guy. Used to get my hair cut there 2002-2007. Now I wish I just had hair at all hahaha.

Reactions: hiltonisheaven

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Also, does anybody know what happened to/if he is still there Jerry the barber at all cuts on Lincoln Way. Nicest guy ever, kinda odd duck but nice old guy. Used to get my hair cut there 2002-2007. Now I wish I just had hair at all hahaha.
I agree, Jerry at All Cuts was a great dude. Yes, he was kinda odd but super nice and you always left happier than you went in. Hope he is still around but i haven't been back in years.

Reactions: LincolnWay187

isulifer08

Jan 5, 2016
I don't know that you can say if a business is good it will withstand a rebuild like this. Lorrey's coffee was fantastic but couldn't afford to be displaced for over a year. And now campustown has a crappy Starbucks instead.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
https://www.universitybusiness.com/article/college-groundbreakings-iowa-state-u-north-texas-u-cincinnati?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Issue: 2017-04-19 Higher Ed Education Dive Newsletter [issue:9952]&utm_term=Educat&es_p=4029939

Think this is going on the corner of Sheldon and Lincoln where the old Swift Stop and Chinese Homestyle Cooking was located.

20 room hotel isn't very big but bet that place will be popular.

It is those building were tore down over a month ago.