• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
If he uses sly comedy like he did on his Wilderpeople movie it should be fine. If it goes all out for laughs, Ill lose interest.

Have you seen the short "Team Thor" videos they have done? Where Thor shares a flat with a dude in Australia? I think that is the kind of humor that they are looking at doing:

• Funny
Reactions: cyhiphopp

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I see social justice warriors are trying to ruin Iron Fist on the review front already. It's adorable to see their white washing complaints despite Rand was originally white in the comic but who needs facts. The show may not be great but I can tell already the reviews are bs

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Bad News: Based on Rotten Tomatoes scores right now, Marvel's Iron Fist Netflix series looks to be a turd in the punch bowl:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/marvel_s_iron_fist/s01/

Good News: That is only based on 14 total reviews so far, reviewers have only been allowed to see the first 6 episodes, and some of the reviews seemed to focus too much on the white-washing aspect in their opinions rather than whether the series was actually good or not.

Trust me, I understand the white-washing argument, and get where they are coming from. However, that fact shouldn't affect how good the series is or not. Also, I've never been a fan of sites like rotten tomatoes rating TV shows based off of a limited number of episodes. Shoot, sometimes, they are just based off the first episode. Therefore, even if the first 6 episodes suck, in a 13-episode series, that leaves plenty of time to turn things around.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Netflix has a very limited budget so it's very possible they save a lot of the best moments for the back half of the season. I am guessing it is pretty slow development in the first half which is understandable.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Bad News: Based on Rotten Tomatoes scores right now, Marvel's Iron Fist Netflix series looks to be a turd in the punch bowl:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/marvel_s_iron_fist/s01/

Good News: That is only based on 14 total reviews so far, reviewers have only been allowed to see the first 6 episodes, and some of the reviews seemed to focus too much on the white-washing aspect in their opinions rather than whether the series was actually good or not.

Trust me, I understand the white-washing argument, and get where they are coming from. However, that fact shouldn't affect how good the series is or not. Also, I've never been a fan of sites like rotten tomatoes rating TV shows based off of a limited number of episodes. Shoot, sometimes, they are just based off the first episode. Therefore, even if the first 6 episodes suck, in a 13-episode series, that leaves plenty of time to turn things around.

I really REALLY wish the white washing term would die a violent death. Who ******* cares. Its irrelevant in the grand scheme.

• Agree
Reactions: State43

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I really REALLY wish the white washing term would die a violent death. Who ******* cares. Its irrelevant in the grand scheme.

I get some of it for sure and many times, it seems to be people really grasping for straws. In Iron Fist's case, I would have been okay with them casting the character white or mixing it up with someone Asian. Didn't really matter to me, but with him, white would have been just fine beings how he is a white character in the comics. I get also that some of the white-washing gripes are about the character himself, which is another aspect to the conversation I won't really get into. However, there are definitely stronger cases for white-washing than Iron Fist out there, particularly with something like the upcoming Ghost in the Shell live-action movie. I think even most people will admit that one is getting a bit ridiculous and probably on the most extreme of things you'll see in Hollywood for now. For those who don't know, Ghost in the Shell historically has been a series of different Japanese movies/TV shows, all of which being animation or anime, and all of which feature a lead Japanese female character. However, due to the lack of bona-fide Japanese female stars out there right now which for sure can put butts in the seats, they ended up casting Scarlett Johansson in the role (white female). I see the studio's angle on things like these ones, but that doesn't mean I didn't wish things were different to the point where that wasn't an issue at all. Bottom-line crappy reality of the situation is that the movie probably wouldn't be even getting made though if the studio didn't change it up. In the end, the only way society can change things like this in the future is with their pocketbooks. You want more diversified representation in movies like these? On the instances studios do take a risk, reward them for that effort by going out and seeing their movie.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: State43

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Finn Jones has not been the best ambassador for Iron Fist during recent interviews and it appears that the negative reviews are getting to him. Yesterday, he came out and stated that he believes that Donald Trump being President has caused the negative reviews for Iron Fist:

“I think the world has changed a lot since we were filming that television show,” he said. “I’m playing a white American billionaire superhero, at a time when the white American billionaire archetype is public enemy number one, especially in the US.”
“We filmed the show way before Trump’s election, and I think it’s very interesting to see how that perception, now that Trump’s in power, how it makes it very difficult to root for someone coming from white privilege, when that archetype is public enemy number one.”

http://io9.gizmodo.com/finn-jones-latest-dumb-defense-of-iron-fist-its-trumps-1793238288

Not a ringing endorsement from one of the upcoming stars of Netflix's potentially largest franchise (The Defenders). My initial hopes for Iron Fist were that it would at least be entertaining, but recent reviews and a somewhat unlikable lead-actor off screen have tempered my expectations dramatically.

Other Finn Jones interactions with the press & fans:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/its-for-the-fans-isnt-a-defense-iron-fists-finn-jones-1793201293

http://www.vulture.com/2017/03/finn-jones-quits-twitter-iron-fist-debate-over-race.html

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I get some of it for sure and many times, it seems to be people really grasping for straws. In Iron Fist's case, I would have been okay with them casting the character white or mixing it up with someone Asian. Didn't really matter to me, but with him, white would have been just fine beings how he is a white character in the comics. I get also that some of the white-washing gripes are about the character himself, which is another aspect to the conversation I won't really get into. However, there are definitely stronger cases for white-washing than Iron Fist out there, particularly with something like the upcoming Ghost in the Shell live-action movie. I think even most people will admit that one is getting a bit ridiculous and probably on the most extreme of things you'll see in Hollywood for now. For those who don't know, Ghost in the Shell historically has been a series of different Japanese movies/TV shows, all of which being animation or anime, and all of which feature a lead Japanese female character. However, due to the lack of bona-fide Japanese female stars out there right now which for sure can put butts in the seats, they ended up casting Scarlett Johansson in the role (white female). I see the studio's angle on things like these ones, but that doesn't mean I didn't wish things were different to the point where that wasn't an issue at all. Bottom-line crappy reality of the situation is that the movie probably wouldn't be even getting made though if the studio didn't change it up. In the end, the only way society can change things like this in the future is with their pocketbooks. You want more diversified representation in movies like these? On the instances studios do take a risk, reward them for that effort by going out and seeing their movie.
I completely agree.

Finn Jones has not been the best ambassador for Iron Fist during recent interviews and it appears that the negative reviews are getting to him. Yesterday, he came out and stated that he believes that Donald Trump being President has caused the negative reviews for Iron Fist:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/finn-jones-latest-dumb-defense-of-iron-fist-its-trumps-1793238288

Not a ringing endorsement from one of the upcoming stars of Netflix's potentially largest franchise (The Defenders). My initial hopes for Iron Fist were that it would at least be entertaining, but recent reviews and a somewhat unlikable lead-actor off screen have tempered my expectations dramatically.

Other Finn Jones interactions with the press & fans:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/its-for-the-fans-isnt-a-defense-iron-fists-finn-jones-1793201293

http://www.vulture.com/2017/03/finn-jones-quits-twitter-iron-fist-debate-over-race.html
The way the SJWs are reacting make me want to watch the series twice out of spite.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Now that Iron Fist is out, has anyone gotten a chance to watch any of it yet??? If so, any thoughts? Is it as bad as many critics are panning it out to be?

Personally, I haven't gotten a chance to watch any of it yet, even though I wish I did. Currently, I'm watching through a few other things that I want to finish before I start on something new. Therefore, there won't be one of my typical full-out reviews for a little while on this one.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I made a thread for iron fist. Go look for the bad news

Thanks. Just checked out the thread. Bummer to see all the bad news, but I'll still give it a fair shot. Thanks to everyone for posting their thoughts. Sorry, between going to Milwaukee and having a new baby, apparently I've been a bit out of the loop.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Thanks. Just checked out the thread. Bummer to see all the bad news, but I'll still give it a fair shot. Thanks to everyone for posting their thoughts. Sorry, between going to Milwaukee and having a new baby, apparently I've been a bit out of the loop.
You go for the Cyclone game? Also in regards to the Iron Fist reviews: I have only seen 2 episodes but so far it is not to the level of the other Defenders' series. That said, it is still better than most TV shows.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
You go for the Cyclone game? Also in regards to the Iron Fist reviews: I have only seen 2 episodes but so far it is not to the level of the other Defenders' series. That said, it is still better than most TV shows.

Yeah, I went only to the Thursday night game. It was a blast. Hey, finally got a chance to meet Adam Grey for the first time at a restaurant/bar there too. It was a pleasure. Us Cedar Rapids folks are always on the outside looking in to all you Des Moines/Ankeny/Ames area CF community.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
http://screenrant.com/spider-man-silver-sable-black-cat-movie-sony/

Word recently is that Sony's new Venom movie they are planning doing will NOT be any part of the MCU. With that said, Sony just announced yet another Spider-Man spin-off movie for Black Cat and Silver Sable that also won't be a part of the MCU. I still find these Spider-Man spin-off movies to be a very weird thing for Sony to do when they not only won't be a part of the MCU, but likely won't even include Spider-Man, with the Venom movie being the weirdest. In fact, I have a hard time even imagining a Venom movie without Spider-Man. Whatever, I guess. Truthfully, Spider-Man 3 soured me enough on Venom that I really have zero interest of really ever bringing him back to the movies, especially within the MCU's confine. Therefore, maybe it is best he is segregated off elsewhere. The creative team's they've chosen to do these are a little suspect as well, so there is a decent likelihood they will not be any good.

Help Support Us

Become a patron