Race Thompson

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Nothing surprising, but see where Race is visiting at Gopher game tonight along with several others, including AJ Green (the guy who visited us but is said to be not coming here). They have re-energized their fan base/atmosphere to say the least. Have to hope Race develops a better relationship with Prohm vs. Pittino. I don't get it, but why when they put the camera on little Pitino during games, does it give me the 'willies'?

He has really weird mannerisms.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
His market value might get pretty high if this team makes the Sweet 16 or if they make the tourney next year.

I would only agree with that if its a case(opportunity) where he wants him and his wife to return to the south, closer to her family, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Probably. Prohm just doesn't have the same "next big thing" feel to me that Pitino does. Obviously I know nothing about either ones aspirations so my opinion means nothing.

Prohm loves the Hilton Magic crowd. He won't trade down that's for sure.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Nothing surprising, but see where Race is visiting at Gopher game tonight along with several others, including AJ Green (the guy who visited us but is said to be not coming here). They have re-energized their fan base/atmosphere to say the least. Have to hope Race develops a better relationship with Prohm vs. Pittino. I don't get it, but why when they put the camera on little Pitino during games, does it give me the 'willies'?

I agree the Gophers turnaround has been impressive, especially with all the turmoil they welast year. I am curious if Pitino may leave for a more high profile job soon. There were a lot of rumors last year that he was going to get one of the Arkansas/Alabama positions after a losing season. Not to mention the thought that big Pitino wants him to take over for him at Louisville. I would be surprised if RP is their coach in 5 years which could kill their recruiting momentum.

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
Steve Prohm seems like the opposite of a guy that wants to climb the ladder. Pay him market value and I'm not too worried.

Agreed. Prohm is about as laid back and down to earth of a family man as you can get, and Ames is a great family place. If the BXII doesn't implode and ISU remains in a high-level conference, keep him paid and if he sustains success, I could see him being here for a very long time.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
everyone has a price that will take them elsewhere.
For the most part I agree with this, however, some do stay despite big $'s being thrown their way...Coach K at Duke, Coach B at Syracuse, etc. Not putting Coach Prohm in this group, but all of the big names that stayed started out at Coach Prohm's level.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Agreed. Prohm is about as laid back and down to earth of a family man as you can get, and Ames is a great family place. If the BXII doesn't implode and ISU remains in a high-level conference, keep him paid and if he sustains success, I could see him being here for a very long time.

I think the only issue would be getting back "home" to the south. That's a draw to many people. No clue if that is how he thinks. If you win at ISU it's an awesome job. You will be appreciated as much as anywhere. Except Kentucky, but they just fool all those toothless people with soft food at the concessions. They think it's heaven.

• Funny
Reactions: cypack747

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
For the most part I agree with this, however, some do stay despite big $'s being thrown their way...Coach K at Duke, Coach B at Syracuse, etc. Not putting Coach Prohm in this group, but all of the big names that stayed started out at Coach Prohm's level.

Mark Few is probably the headliner of the "could have traded up" coaching club.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
So...so I can be lazy, not look it up myself...and bring it back to topic: how is Race's team doing this year? Successful on a state champion level?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron