Honey Mead Making

Schfinkter

Dec 3, 2008
Dandy's House
Just curious to see if any of the other fanatics have ever messed with making their own mead? I started my first 5 gallon batch on Saturday. It all seems to be going well so far, but I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks before I move it to the secondary fermenter.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Just curious to see if any of the other fanatics have ever messed with making their own mead? I started my first 5 gallon batch on Saturday. It all seems to be going well so far, but I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks before I move it to the secondary fermenter.
Never done a mead, what yeast are you using?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Compared to beer brewing mead seemed a lot more daunting. Nutrient balance was more important, and you couldn't just let it coast and forget about it. Let us know how it turns out.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
Compared to beer brewing mead seemed a lot more daunting. Nutrient balance was more important, and you couldn't just let it coast and forget about it. Let us know how it turns out.

That's what I do and it turns out spectacularly. When I make a batch, I let it sit for at least a year before bottling.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
How many pounds of honey go into a 5 gallon batch? Did you buy in bulk?

There's a super popular starter mead recipe called Joe's Ancient Old Mead (JAOM) that I've read about on HBT. Anyone ever try it?

Schfinkter

Dec 3, 2008
Dandy's House
How many pounds of honey go into a 5 gallon batch? Did you buy in bulk?

I put in a little over 15 lbs of honey. I have an apiarist in the area that agreed to trade me the honey for some of the mead. I liked that idea more than just buying it in bulk from amazon or something.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Made some in a chemistry class at ISU. It wasn't very good.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have some friends who keep bees and make their own beer so it was inevitable that they eventually had some surplus honey that they needed to use and he made some mead. I ended up with a six pack of it and it was tremendous.

Schfinkter

Dec 3, 2008
Dandy's House
I have some friends who keep bees and make their own beer so it was inevitable that they eventually had some surplus honey that they needed to use and he made some mead. I ended up with a six pack of it and it was tremendous.

Do you know how long he let it age before drinking it? I've heard everything from a month to a year.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I hint mead is like cider, the longer the better. Cider is much easier and cheaper to make. I haven't brewed beer in about a year, need to get back on the brewing wAgon, it's just much easier when it's not winter.

Reactions: Schfinkter

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron