FAWcast 108: Monte not an NBA player?

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
Hey guys,

I was re-listening to the latest FAWcast and I heard a statement that I didn't catch last time. It's at the 15:07 mark. I think it's Adam Gray that says "There's not an NBA player on the team..."

Have expectations for Monte really dropped that far, or did he just not think about him when saying that? I even think Deonte will get a shot at the league with his body type and skillset, but I'd think we CERTAINLY have Monte as an NBA player. He's currently mocked 36th overall to Boston.

Link to FAWcast here.

Last edited:

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Hey guys,

I was re-listening to the latest FAWcast and I heard a statement that I didn't catch last time. It's at the 15:07 mark. I think it's Adam Gray says "There's not an NBA player on the team..."

Have expectations for Monte really dropped that far, or did he just not think about him when saying that? I even think Deonte will get a shot at the league with his body type and skillset, but I'd think we CERTAINLY have Monte as an NBA player. He's currently mocked 36th overall to Boston.

Link to FAWcast here.

I think he can be a second round pick but I don't know if he makes a roster. He still isn't a great outside shooter isn't extremely quick or that great of an athlete also not a great defender. But who cares really? All that matters for ISU is that he is a really good college PG. Oh yeah, and the most reliable draft site has him 40th right now.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
Hey guys,

I was re-listening to the latest FAWcast and I heard a statement that I didn't catch last time. It's at the 15:07 mark. I think it's Adam Gray says "There's not an NBA player on the team..."

Link to FAWcast here.

Monte has a shot at being drafted in the 2nd round. One thing to remember is right now he's mocked in at 36th but you know some international players will jump in there pushing that back. And then who knows later in the 2nd round.

From there I think he's a D league guy for a couple years and than overseas. I hope I'm wrong as I'd love for him to be a pro.

FYI this isn't a knee jerk comment from me. I've long said that as good as Monte is, I didn't think he was an NBA PG.

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
Monte has a shot at being drafted in the 2nd round. One thing to remember is right now he's mocked in at 36th but you know some international players will jump in there pushing that back. And then who knows later in the 2nd round.

From there I think he's a D league guy for a couple years and than overseas. I hope I'm wrong as I'd love for him to be a pro.

FYI this isn't a knee jerk comment from me. I've long said that as good as Monte is, I didn't think he was an NBA PG.
Those are really valid points. I just think that he's good enough as a floor general to be at least a backup somewhere. Here's to hoping he can make that happen!

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: acody and AdamJGray

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
Remember how shocked people were that Kane and Ejim didn't make a roster? Ejim was Big 12 POTY.

Making the NBA is REALLY REALLY hard.
On the flipside, not a lot of people expected Niang to do quite as well as he has, or Nader to get drafted (and tear up the D League). Another one that comes to mind is Bryce DeJean Jones. I think some expected him to get a shot, but not play meaningful mins in an NBA game. It's super hard to predict who will transition to the pros, you're right.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
Remember how shocked people were that Kane and Ejim didn't make a roster? Ejim was Big 12 POTY.

Spot on. A lot of people don't understand this. A maximum of 15 players (13 active) on 30 teams doesn't leave room for a lot of new spots year to year.

• Winner

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
hard to tell since there's still a long time away. This draft is suppose to be very good so my guess is no but there's a long time to go. Teams will be concerned about his offensive game at the next level. I'm not sure how well he'd do defensively in the NBA either. Checking PG's in the NBA (Curry, Westbrook, Wall, Harden, Irving, Lowry, CP3, Lillard, etc) is a lot different than college players.

He's certainly better than Isaiah Cousins who got drafted by the Kings with the 2nd to last pick, so that range is where I see him going if he gets drafted. A team that needs a backup PG or a team that needs guards for training camp/D-League depth would look into him I guess.

• Agree

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Stats don't always tell the story. Thomas is a career 37.7% 3 point shooter. Now, does that mean Monte is a better shooter than Matt? No. Point is, anyone can watch the game and tell he struggles with that.

I wouldn't say Matt or Monte are inconsistent 3 pt shooters actually. I don't understand how you can say a 38.1% 3 pt shooter struggles shooting the 3 pt shot.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Monte is a better NBA prospect than both Kane and Ejim. Ejim was a tweener and Kane was too old. I think Monte will get drafted and make a roster as a backup PG but wouldn't be blown away if he doesn't.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale

I don't know how anyone was really surprised neither made it. I thought Kane had a decent chance but the NBA's fascination with the next young guy killed him.

I also thought BDJ, Nader, and Niang would make it. BDJ and Nader just have the bodies. Niang is a tweener but is good enough he was going to get a shot.

Morris will make it and be a successful backup. He fits the needs for a backup well. Someone who can come in distribute the ball and not screw up while the starter gets a break.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron