Official 2015 Hoiberg NBA Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Considering the wholly unprofessional situation between the Bulls' management and ownership and Thibs (not to mention the icy end they've had with their past five or so coaches, all the way back to at least Phil Jackson if not Doug Collins)...

...why does Fred want to go there?

After awhile, word should get out: no matter what they say, what they promise you, how nice it looks, some companies just aren't worth working for no matter what.

No? :/

This same exact post could pertain to every single NBA job. It's an awful treadmill, weird that a guy who has seen it first hand still wants part of it. He must think that's his only way into a good front office job. I still contend Fred's goals are higher than just NBA coach, GM is the real job former players and coaches covet.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
This same exact post could pertain to every single NBA job. It's an awful treadmill, weird that a guy who has seen it first hand still wants part of it. He must think that's his only way into a good front office job. I still contend Fred's goals are higher than just NBA coach, GM is the real job former players and coaches covet.

Wasn't he already on that track being an assistant GM with the Wolves? I thought everyone said he was on the fast track to be a GM before he started coaching.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
To whom? The country? A footnote at best. To us, he'll just be another Floyd. We'll wish it could have lasted longer, but we'll talk about his Eustachy more. (the guy who coaches us to championships next year)
It's a special thing to have a story like Fred does with Iowa State. How can you pretend to forget that he went from ballboy to college star to head coach? Tell me how Tim Floyd has that kind of history with Iowa State.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
When has he said it wanted to coach in the NBA, publicly?
He hasn't been quoted saying it that I know of but Pollard has said it publicly and it's been a pretty well known thing since his name started to come up for NBA jobs. I don't get how people can pretend to be blindsided by this.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
I'm not sure I fully get the Bulls strategy here. If they hold out and wait for all the jobs to fill, aren't they just screwing themselves? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Bulls get out of paying $5M to Thibs if he gets a job somewhere else. But if he sits out a full year they would have to pay him the full $5M. So if the jobs get filled, they'd lose money, right? I kind of hope nobody offers any compensation to the Bulls, even if it takes a little longer. **** those a-holes. Fire GarPax.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
I'm not sure I fully get the Bulls strategy here. If they hold out and wait for all the jobs to fill, aren't they just screwing themselves? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Bulls get out of paying $5M to Thibs if he gets a job somewhere else. But if he sits out a full year they would have to pay him the full $5M. So if the jobs get filled, they'd lose money, right? I kind of hope nobody offers any compensation to the Bulls, even if it takes a little longer. **** those a-holes. Fire GarPax.

I am pretty sure he gets paid regardless that's why they want to trade him so badly.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

I don't think the Bulls-Thibs dynamic is all that common in the NBA. It's a coaching carousel, absolutely. But this is bordering on Hatfield-McCoy levels of disdain on both ends. I've never heard of an NBA team considering holding out until all other openings are filled to fire its coach, just to stick it to him because the GM/ownership don't like him. That would be a gigantic red flag to me, if I were a coach considering taking a job in the NBA and the Bulls were one of my suitors.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't think the Bulls-Thibs dynamic is all that common in the NBA. It's a coaching carousel, absolutely. But this is bordering on Hatfield-McCoy levels of disdain on both ends. I've never heard of an NBA team considering holding out until all other openings are filled to fire its coach, just to stick it to him because the GM/ownership don't like him. That would be a gigantic red flag to me, if I were a coach considering taking a job in the NBA and the Bulls were one of my suitors.

Not if you are friends with the GM and like Chicago!

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
Yep coming to clean the office out and make everything official. One name I have not heard come up for his replacement is Larry Brown. I am hearing that name be tossed around.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It's a special thing to have a story like Fred does with Iowa State. How can you pretend to forget that he went from ballboy to college star to head coach? Tell me how Tim Floyd has that kind of history with Iowa State.

No one has that kind of history with ISU, so I'm not sure why anyone would even try to duplicate it.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yep coming to clean the office out and make everything official. One name I have not heard come up for his replacement is Larry Brown. I am hearing that name be tossed around.

I don't hate that thought. And honestly 'don't hate' is probably as enthusiastic as will be about any of the possibilities.

CydlineFan

Oct 25, 2014
Funny thing about the NBA, once you're in, it's essentially considered tenure. I'm amazed how they recycle the same names for open positions (i.e. Alvin Gentry and Jeff Van Gundy considered for New Orleans).

With that said, there is absolutely no loyalty, with or without success. Tom Thibodeau was the NBA coach of the year in 2010-2011, 2nd in 2012 to Poppovich, 3rd in 2014, and *most likely* tossed out on his @$$ 5 years later.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
They don't have a clause in his contract for other employment reducing payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.