Official 2015 Hoiberg NBA Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
If I pay extra can I not get the autograph or picture with Coach TJ Otz?
He forgot a lot too...
The weekend will allow access to Coach Otz and inside access to the working of the program.

The camp includes instruction from Coach Otz, and his staff, games that will be coached by Iowa State Men’s basketball current players and coaching staff, contests, a game at Hilton Coliseum, exclusive social events, video breakdown sessions with Coach Otz official Iowa State Nike gear (see details below), and access to the elite Iowa State Men’s Basketball facilities, and more.

Last edited:

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
How many of those "other coaches" you are comparing him to have had two major heart surgeries in the last year or so? Maybe he's concerned his chance to coach in the NBA for a few years is a now or never choice based on his health.

While this can be true, you have to realize that the NBA season is almost 3X longer than the average college season with more close games. If I had to pick one that's better for the heart, it would actually be college.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
While this can be true, you have to realize that the NBA season is almost 3X longer than the average college season with more close games. If I had to pick one that's better for the heart, it would actually be college.

I think the argument people are making trying to explain Hoiberg's decision is a health related one is ********.

Maybe Hoiberg only wants to coach a few more years, but the idea that his health has anything to do with it is stupid.

More than likely he wants to coach as long as possible, but it just isn't at Iowa State.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I'm sure this has probably been discussed already but I was just thinking about what players will be staying for sure and what players might be leaving if hoiberg leaves.

To my knowledge McKay and Nader didn't graduate so therefore they have no choice but to stay since they are both RS seniors. Niang already said he's staying and I would assume the same goes for Naz since he loves Iowa state and wouldn't want to sit a year to play a year. Monte won't leave based on the fact that he could go to the draft after this season. I doubt he wants to sit a year at this point of his career. Cooke won't be able to leave until after the 16-17 season as a grad transfer unless he wants to burn a year of eligibility. Burton could transfer before this season starts but would have to sit the full season instead of a semester if he stays. If he did transfer though he would have 2 full seasons at his new school. So it's possible. Thomas transferring seems possible. Tsalmpouris to go play professionally in Greece could happen. Both Noskowiak and Babb could ask for a release from their letter of intent before they even get to campus.

So it looks like this season if hoiberg leaves we'll still for sure have McKay Nader Niang Naz Monte and Cooke. Burton probably. Maybe Thomas Tsalmpouris Noskowiak and Babb.

I don't think we have to worry about anyone leaving for this upcoming season. Even if Fred leaves there's no way a top ten and possible top five preseason team will want to dismantle itself. Even Noskowiak and Burton will likely end up staying. TJ, I'm sure, is doing everything he can right now to assure the newcomers that ISU is still a great fit for them. There's no need to worry about this season. I also think that Babb stays as well.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I think the argument people are making trying to explain Hoiberg's decision is a health related one is ********.

Maybe Hoiberg only wants to coach a few more years, but the idea that his health has anything to do with it is stupid.

More than likely he wants to coach as long as possible, but it just isn't at Iowa State.

I understand how competitive players/coaches are, but I have always said, if I had the money many of them have at age 40, I'd be retired. If Fred truly does see his "working" years coming to an end, maybe this is his time.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

I tend to agree. Unless there is something we don't know (which is certainly possible), Hoiberg can live a full and long life with his pacemaker and recent valve replacement. He will be on blood thinners forever which will impact him slightly. But everything we have heard about his health is that he will live a normal life.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Don't know if anyone else shared this information, but I saw Coach Hoiberg this weekend with his family. They were enjoying the day downtown Des Moines. He was wearing a white shirt.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Don't know if anyone else shared this information, but I saw Coach Hoiberg this weekend with his family. They were enjoying the day downtown Des Moines. He was wearing a white shirt.
I honestly never thought Fred would leave ISU for the Iowa Energy. Disappointing to say the least!

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC

If you're talking about "I don't know how much I can take it so I'm going to go to the NBA right now" then I agree it's dumb. However, the fact that the NBA season is a lot longer and has closer games than college is probably a small factor in all of this. Yes, he can go on for awhile, but I seem to remember saying that it wasn't good on his health (maybe mental health). That would be worse in the NBA and if he doesn't do well, there's going to be even more stress from a market like Chicago who will try and eat you alive for not doing as well as expected.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
If you're talking about "I don't know how much I can take it so I'm going to go to the NBA right now" then I agree it's dumb. However, the fact that the NBA season is a lot longer and has closer games than college is probably a small factor in all of this. Yes, he can go on for awhile, but I seem to remember saying that it wasn't good on his health (maybe mental health). That would be worse in the NBA and if he doesn't do well, there's going to be even more stress from a market like Chicago who will try and eat you alive for not doing as well as expected.

Just for the sake of discussion, I think it's presumptive to assume what is best for Fred's health. Only he knows what will bring him the most enjoyment and fulfillment. Yes, the NBA season is longer and media attention is more intense, but there are trade-offs that may actually make that lifestyle "easier," depending on the circumstance. If he feels the NBA is the place for him, I assume he has gauged all factors.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Interesting bit from ESPN's rumor central this morning. If this is true why would anyone want to work for the Bulls when their front office is handling the coaching situation this poorly? Just seems like a terrible thing to do, don't want Thibs and if teams aren't willing to cough up compensation for him then they'll just wait till all the jobs are filled then fire him WOW! I'm a Bulls fan and even I think that is just a crappy way to do business and is poor front office management. Why does Jerry Reinsdorf allow John Paxson and Gar Foreman to do what they are doing? The Bulls are a proud and prestigious franchise and to let the front office handle things they way they are maybe they should be looking for a new GM and President of Basketball Operations and not a head coach. They have a coach the players like and has proven to win despite having some health issues and challenges with the roster, they obviously don't want him anymore but they want to control where he works next? Fred, if this is the type of management you want to work for that is just sad if you end up taking the Bulls job. Jerry Krause and Tim Floyd were good buddies just like Fred and Gar Foreman apparently are and look how well that turned out.

Tom Thibodeau: There is a chance Thibodeau could be away from the bench next season. ESPN.com's Marc Stein writes: "More and more you hear Thibs admirers around NBA say they fear Bulls determined to let all three open jobs get filled and then let Thibs go." Currently the vacancies are in Denver, Orlando and New Orleans.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
One of my kids was asking how many days Cyclone basketball has been held hostage by the freaking Bulls and I couldn't put a number on it. Seems like they have been saying they wanted to fire Thibs since last fall, but they were only eliminated from the playoffs around May 15 I think. All of this talk started long before they were eliminated. It is tiring.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Definitely up for Tim Floyd coming back. That's one of the better options I've heard!

baller1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
WDM
After Hoiball I don't think I could suffer through 50-46 games again so I'll pass on Floyd

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Just for the sake of discussion, I think it's presumptive to assume what is best for Fred's health. Only he knows what will bring him the most enjoyment and fulfillment. Yes, the NBA season is longer and media attention is more intense, but there are trade-offs that may actually make that lifestyle "easier," depending on the circumstance. If he feels the NBA is the place for him, I assume he has gauged all factors.

Come on Blum, in our hysteria over Fred leaving we all clearly are the best judge of what is best for Fred.

Hoiberg leaving, particularly this offseason in a dragged out fashion is about disappointing as it gets, but good lord this board has lost sight of reality. This will cause a hiccup but ISU MBB will be fine and have a lot of future success, in the mean time let's try to relax and not **** all over one of the greatest Iowa Stater of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.