"Dumb" TV's

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
Can you buy them anymore? I'm in the market for a new TV, thinking 55-60" but I don't want to necessarily spend an extra $100 to have my TV do something my PS4 can already do.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Yeah, you can. I bought a new 55 last week. I was in the same boat as you but I found a 55 inch Samsung that was 3d and SMART for the same price as what i could get a 60 normal for. It's also 240 hz which may or may not matter. I bought one of the first Vizio SMART TVs and it sucked so I vowed that I wouldn't get another one until I had to but the functions are way better on this tv. The Samsung also has a separate pointer type control to use it. It's nice not having to screw with my Xbox One to do those things. Of course this is also coming from the lazy *** who thinks it's downright awesome I don't have to pick up a remote to change my tv channel.

This is what I got but it was cheaper last week.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-55-1080p-240Hz-Class-LED-Smart-HDTV-UN55H7150/36801140

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
Yeah, you can. I bought a new 55 last week. I was in the same boat as you but I found a 55 inch Samsung that was 3d and SMART for the same price as what i could get a 60 normal for. It's also 240 hz which may or may not matter. I bought one of the first Vizio SMART TVs and it sucked so I vowed that I wouldn't get another one until I had to but the functions are way better on this tv. The Samsung also has a separate pointer type control to use it. It's nice not having to screw with my Xbox One to do those things. Of course this is also coming from the lazy *** who thinks it's downright awesome I don't have to pick up a remote to change my tv channel.

This is what I got but it was cheaper last week.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-55-1080p-240Hz-Class-LED-Smart-HDTV-UN55H7150/36801140

What didn't you like about the Vizio? We have had a Vizio 42" for like 3 years now and we haven't had any issues. Was it just the SMART stuff that didn't work well?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The thing is, i wouldnt necessarily worry about that yu're spending more for the smart functions. Most of the manufacturers just throw that in as features on their better tvs (better picture quality, better looking tv, etc) so its still often worth the extra money even if youre not going to use the smart functions. I just got a tv (this one, for $300 less than now) before thanksgiving that has smart functions, but its unlikely i'll use them much since ive got enough devices connected to not have to use them.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
LG has at least a 55" $that isn't a smart tv, possibly a 60 as well. The 55 is $598 at WalMart.

Last edited:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
What didn't you like about the Vizio? We have had a Vizio 42" for like 3 years now and we haven't had any issues. Was it just the SMART stuff that didn't work well?

Yeah, just the smart stuff. The rest is fine. The problem was I got that one because it was a smart tv and I had no other devices. It was really slow and for some reason it didn't stream as well as my Amazon Fire or my xbox in the other room.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Yeah, just the smart stuff. The rest is fine. The problem was I got that one because it was a smart tv and I had no other devices. It was really slow and for some reason it didn't stream as well as my Amazon Fire or my xbox in the other room.
My older Vizio's smart apps, mostly Netflix, is super sluggish and has a really stupid interface, I never even bother using it. The new one is really snappy and uses the same interface as the website, much improved.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'm with you on this. I just want a 55" monitor. I don't need speakers, a tuner, or anything beyond an HDMI input. Everything else is controlled by my stereo receiver or satellite receiver.