New foreign commit - Giorgos Tsalmpouris

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Will he play this year?

If his shooting is truly that developed it's hard to imagine a 7'1" shooter can be a liability on the offensive end. Really excited to see him, can't remember the last clone with so much upside but also so little way to predict how it will go.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Will he play this year?

I'm not seeing minutes for him this year with as many guys as we have in front of him. Even in the non-con last year, it seemed like Edozie/Percy didn't see many minutes and instead we would slide Hogue to guard the other team's 4.

I'm guessing Edozie gets significant minutes (maybe start) during the probable Thomas/Nader suspension with GT getting in if we are in foul trouble. Once Nader and Thomas are back we see Edozie get the foul trouble minutes and GT learning from the bench this year.

It is probably to our advantage to still have Hogue guarding a 4 so Naz and Thomas can get their minutes.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm not seeing minutes for him this year with as many guys as we have in front of him. Even in the non-con last year, it seemed like Edozie/Percy didn't see many minutes and instead we would slide Hogue to guard the other team's 4.

I'm guessing Edozie gets significant minutes (maybe start) during the probable Thomas/Nader suspension with GT getting in if we are in foul trouble. Once Nader and Thomas are back we see Edozie get the foul trouble minutes and GT learning from the bench this year.

It is probably to our advantage to still have Hogue guarding a 4 so Naz and Thomas can get their minutes.

We'll see. GT has a totally different offensive skill set than Percy and Edozie, so if his stroke is good then it's hard to believe he wouldn't at least get some spot minutes, especially in the non con schedule where we'll see some lesser opponents.
But I'm tempering expectations for him this year. He's got a long way to go in terms of developing his body to be competitive in the Big 12, plus there will be the challenges of being a long way from home and the adjustment to the American rules and style of play.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
We'll see. GT has a totally different offensive skill set than Percy and Edozie, so if his stroke is good then it's hard to believe he wouldn't at least get some spot minutes, especially in the non con schedule where we'll see some lesser opponents.
But I'm tempering expectations for him this year. He's got a long way to go in terms of developing his body to be competitive in the Big 12, plus there will be the challenges of being a long way from home and the adjustment to the American rules and style of play.

I agree he is a completely different player than Edozie with a higher upside. I've tempered my expectations and wouldn't mind being surprised. GT feels like a similar wild card as the late addition of K.J. Bluford last season in that we aren't depending on production from him, but if we get it, it is gravy (once again GT has a lot bigger upside).

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
My prediction is the kid from Greece will exceed expectations his freshman campaign, and will play professionally after next season...

Guetterdone1

Jul 4, 2012
Ames
My prediction is the kid from Greece will exceed expectations his freshman campaign, and will play professionally after next season...

Hopefully the USA diet will add 20 pounds to him. Hines said it would be difficult because of his long frame by I think it would make it easier. He won't be able to play at 220 though.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Hopefully the USA diet will add 20 pounds to him. Hines said it would be difficult because of his long frame by I think it would make it easier. He won't be able to play at 220 though.

The USA diet 20 lbs is not the kind of 20 lbs the staff would like him to gain. They will likely want him to gain 20 lbs of muscle, not fat.

CloneZone13

Feb 7, 2013
If he can really shoot the 3 that well with any kind of consistency, he will see a fair amount of playing time. I'm not expecting him to shoot 45%, but I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised by this kid.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It just depends on how steep the learning curve is for him. That he's fluent in English helps; at least there won't be a huge language barrier. But it's a big culture change and a different style of play. How quickly he can adjust to all that will dictate how much playing time he gets this year. There's talent there, but he's raw and not strong enough yet. And as a seven foot project he'll be an easy target for opposing fanbases (see Woodbury, Adam). It's certainly possible for him to see some significant minutes if his shooting ability translates right away, but it's not a guarantee either.

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014
What an embarrassing interview by Peterson. It seemed like they picked somebody out of the stands and said to give it a try.
Thinking the same thing. It was embarrassing. Peterson practically apologizing to the kid for landing in Ames, and then trying to find out why he didn't turn pro, and assuming he'll be gone after 1-2 seasons

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I didn't see it but EVERY Peterson interview is hard to watch.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I'm not worried about the kid one bit.

He's a talented player who hooked on with a good team as a development player.

Nothing but upside, he's not being brought in to save the day.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm not worried about the kid one bit.

He's a talented player who hooked on with a good team as a development player.

Nothing but upside, he's not being brought in to save the day.

That's also true. There's no pressure on him to come in and produce from Day One so the staff can afford to be patient and bring him along slowly if that's the best approach. The program is in good hands.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I think it'll work out well with him seeing some minutes against some lower quality teams while McKay sits out.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Is there any update on this kid's visit? Has it taken place yet?

Edit to say, nevermind, I read the two articles posted.

Last edited:

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
He measures at 7'1, but his neck is so long, that in reality or from a functional standpoint he is really like a 6'9 guy. His wing span is actually shorter than Nader and McKay. But what the heck, if he has skills and can play is the main thing anyway.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
He measures at 7'1, but his neck is so long, that in reality or from a functional standpoint he is really like a 6'9 guy. His wing span is actually shorter than Nader and McKay. But what the heck, if he has skills and can play is the main thing anyway.

So his neck is 4" longer than your average 6'9" guy's?

sadam

Jan 8, 2014

That's racist. Greeks are not giraffes

Status
Not open for further replies.