Jake McDonough talks about paying players.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I don't know which side of the fence I'm on with this. Simplistically, I don't think athletes should be paid, but if they can sell their autograph for money, go for it.

That said, lots of college students go in debt for living expenses during school. Join the club.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I don't know which side of the fence I'm on with this. Simplistically, I don't think athletes should be paid, but if they can sell their autograph for money, go for it.

That said, lots of college students go in debt for living expenses during school. Join the club.

I'm a wealthy booster from Notre Dame and would like to have Allen Lazard autograph for $25,000. Only if you come to ND though, Allen!

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
As I was reading it, I thought I heard the song playing from those Sarah McLachlan animal abuse commercials:jimlad:.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
If they could come up with a fair plan I wouldn't have a problem with paying players but I have yet to see one that even comes close to addressing all the problems. Even allowing them to sell their autographs is problematic. Say a booster buys one for $10000.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
If they could come up with a fair plan I wouldn't have a problem with paying players but I have yet to see one that even comes close to addressing all the problems. Even allowing them to sell their autographs is problematic. Say a booster buys one for $10000.

What if they could only get $100/autograph? But then, what if a booster bought 100 of them? I'm not sure that slope ever gets sure footing...

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Or how does "paying players" relate to student athletes in non-revenue sports who are on partial scholarship? You could argue that they have a worse financial hardship. And some who become All-Americans, even in non-revenue sports, probably do more for the bottom line of the university than a revenue sport athlete who rides the bench.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
He was spending 500 dollars a month on rent with three roomates? Then he is an idiot. I had a house close to campus that I rented where each room had a leasee, and the rent when divided came to less than $300 a month. He should have lived elsewhere and commuted. What was his major again?

Some of what he wrote I can look at and see that he has a point.
This is an obvious weakness, and it gets worse when he talks about that as some kind of substandard living condition. That's a $2000/month apartment. In Ames, IA. That place was probably pretty nice.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Paying $500+/month for an apartment in Ames when you have multiple roommates is stupid. I lived with 3 or 4 other roommates for three years in college and never paid more than $250/month. The places weren't trashy either.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Crap I had typed a long reply but lost my internet connection. Anyway, I don't know how many articles written by former athletes that some of you need in order to believe that there is a problem. Yes they should be paid and I think if done correctly it will even improve the competitive balance within the P5 and help a team like ISU. Why do you think many of the top athletes end up in the SEC (just picking a conference at random)? I'm sure everything was always above board.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Crap I had typed a long reply but lost my internet connection. Anyway, I don't know how many articles written by former athletes that some of you need in order to believe that there is a problem. Yes they should be paid and I think if done correctly it will even improve the competitive balance within the P5 and help a team like ISU. Why do you think many of the top athletes end up in the SEC (just picking a conference at random)? I'm sure everything was always above board.
Adding money to anything never improves competitive balance. You can add a salary cap but it won't matter because some schools will just say screw it and pay luxury tax.

Cry me a river, athletes.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I pretty much quit taking that seriously when he talked about guys taking easier courses to get by. Whose fault is that? I also like how he mentioned his $600 check but neglects to mention he doesn't have to pay anything for tuition. I paid about $500 for rent in college. I'm also not sitting here explaining why it's so unfair.

This whole thing irritates me and when I listen to most complain about everything while neglecting what they actually do get, my head almost explodes. Also, McDonough isn't a great example since it has been said by him that this staff and football brought him around. He was barely hanging onto the team his sophomore year.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

If a bunch of us write down our sob stories about how college cost us too much and it wasn't fair, should the University pay regular students too?

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Who here wouldnt have loved to have everything that college athletes get while in college? I know I wouldnt think twice about it.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I think they get a package that spells out how much they get total. Get a scholarship and/or get paid. They have to work for the university on top of the athletic endeavors. All money is managed by the university. When I was in grad school I had a teaching assistant position. In essence it was the getting paid option with some scholarship money in it. At the same time I didn't get free clothing, access to study rooms, study advisors, training table, etc. Athletes have it pretty darned good compared to most students. I lived in a piece of trash apartment just so I could afford to go to school.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Jake is a huge success story, given what he had to overcome, to get his shot in the NFL. He has experienced scholarship compensation first hand, and if he says stdent athletes should get more, then I have to believe him. Hopefully Jake will be one of the exceptions, and will settle into a long career as a professional.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

So much fail in this.

Help Support Us

Become a patron