NBA: *** Official 2014 NBA Playoffs Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
It's just not fair that a guy like Ginobili, someone who always plays fairly and honestly and would never think of doing something as distasteful as flopping, gets penalized for Wade's dastardly deeds. There's no justice in this world!

Couldn't care less who flops, they should also be punished for leflopping.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Couldn't care less who flops, they should also be punished for leflopping.

Right. And the only way to do it is to put in a stronger deterrent. Five grand means nothing to someone like Dwayne Wade or Manu Ginobili, but you know what might? An automatic one game suspension. It's excessive, but if you really want flopping out of the game that would do it.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Right. And the only way to do it is to put in a stronger deterrent. Five grand means nothing to someone like Dwayne Wade or Manu Ginobili, but you know what might? An automatic one game suspension. It's excessive, but if you really want flopping out of the game that would do it.

That would probably do it, but man I would hate to see a series decided because of that. I wouldn't mind allowing refs to review possible flopping situations and give either a regular or technical foul to the player after the fact. That would be a real deterrent.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
As for the game tonight, it's a big one. The winner of Game 3 of the Finals when the series is tied has won 30 of 36 previous Finals. We're going to find out just how much depth the Spurs really have too. I think Belinelli is on his way out of the rotation, can Patty Mills handle big minutes on the road in the Finals? Duncan looked worn out at the end of Game 2, I don't think he can handle getting 38+ mins every night at this point in his career. It looked like we were starting to see the return of the Ginobili of last year's Finals at the end of Game 2, turnovers, bad shot selection, I'm hoping that carries over to tonight's game.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
That would probably do it, but man I would hate to see a series decided because of that. I wouldn't mind allowing refs to review possible flopping situations and give either a regular or technical foul to the player after the fact. That would be a real deterrent.

A technical foul would be a good solution, and I think that the suspension would be just fine as well.
If players don't want that deciding a series, then they're free to stop flopping.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
A technical foul would be a good solution, and I think that the suspension would be just fine as well.
If players don't want that deciding a series, then they're free to stop flopping.

A technical foul would mean game stoppages to review video, and I don't know if I'm on board with that. However, a suspension handed down after a league review would be fair. That way the refs don't have one more thing to sweat about during the game and the league can make an informed decision after reviewing the video. I don't want to see a series or game decided by a player having to sit out, but I also don't want to see a player have to go to the bench with foul trouble due to a bogus foul call off a flop. The threat of a suspension would solve both of those problems unless the flop occurs in a Game 7 or maybe an elimination game. Don't want to get suspended? Don't hit the floor like you just got nailed by a sniper. Easy enough.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
As for the game tonight, it's a big one. The winner of Game 3 of the Finals when the series is tied has won 30 of 36 previous Finals. We're going to find out just how much depth the Spurs really have too. I think Belinelli is on his way out of the rotation, can Patty Mills handle big minutes on the road in the Finals? Duncan looked worn out at the end of Game 2, I don't think he can handle getting 38+ mins every night at this point in his career. It looked like we were starting to see the return of the Ginobili of last year's Finals at the end of Game 2, turnovers, bad shot selection, I'm hoping that carries over to tonight's game.

If Lebron's jumper keeps falling you can close the book on the series. Diaw can't handle him for spot minutes when he's in that zone, and Kawhi Leonard can't give the Spurs much on offense if he has to check LeBron every possession.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
A technical foul would mean game stoppages to review video, and I don't know if I'm on board with that. However, a suspension handed down after a league review would be fair. That way the refs don't have one more thing to sweat about during the game and the league can make an informed decision after reviewing the video. I don't want to see a series or game decided by a player having to sit out, but I also don't want to see a player have to go to the bench with foul trouble due to a bogus foul call off a flop. The threat of a suspension would solve both of those problems unless the flop occurs in a Game 7 or maybe an elimination game. Don't want to get suspended? Don't hit the floor like you just got nailed by a sniper. Easy enough.

That's not bad.
Along with the idea that we don't really relish a series decided by suspensions for flopping, I'm pretty sure none of us want to see one affected by cheap foul trouble brought on by flopping. We just want to see the two best teams playing actual basketball.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
If Lebron's jumper keeps falling you can close the book on the series. Diaw can't handle him for spot minutes when he's in that zone, and Kawhi Leonard can't give the Spurs much on offense if he has to check LeBron every possession.

I wish I could find the stat I saw about LeBron's shooting percentage when Diaw has guarded him over the last two years, but just for the Finals last year LeBron was 3/21 (14%) when guarded by Diaw. He had some kind of fat guy superpower when he was on LeBron. The fact that LeBron was able to score on him so easily, not just jumpers, but just going by him like he was in Game 1 might be the biggest factor of the series.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I know it's not something that can be put into place, but if someone is deemed to have flopped, then the other team should be able to pick a possession to foul them without getting called.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
That's not bad.
Along with the idea that we don't really relish a series decided by suspensions for flopping, I'm pretty sure none of us want to see one affected by cheap foul trouble brought on by flopping. We just want to see the two best teams playing actual basketball.

It'd be a start. It wouldn't completely solve the problem - what if, like I said, the flop occurs in a Game 7 of a championship series? If I was a player I'd happily exchange a one game suspension for next season's opener if it meant gaining a better shot at winning a ring right now. Or what about a coach trotting out a seldom used bench guy to try and draw contact and a cheap foul on the opponent's key guy?

It sounds like flopping will be up for discussion again this offseason, and it needs to be. David Stern called it last year - he said that a 5k fine isn't going to do much of anything when the average player salary is $5.5 million.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I agree something needs to be done. What about the ref that made the call for Wade and wasn't even looking when the play happened? Some accountability there to.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
If it's a blatant flop like Wade's in the last game, I am in favor of suspensions. But would be open for it being reviewable and determined anywhere from a Tech foul-suspension. That 3rd foul on Ginobli had a large impact on the game. Ginobli didn't start the 2nd half because of it, and sat out the rest of the 1st half.

If they changed it so that blatant flopping would result in suspensions, I think the result would be the end of flopping, and I don't think anyone would actually get that suspension because it just wouldn't happen any more.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I did some brainstorming and I think I came up with the perfect punishment that would put an end to all flopping:

$2.5 Million fine and a ban for life from the NBA.

:jimlad::jimlad::jimlad::jimlad:

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
If it's a blatant flop like Wade's in the last game, I am in favor of suspensions. But would be open for it being reviewable and determined anywhere from a Tech foul-suspension. That 3rd foul on Ginobli had a large impact on the game. Ginobli didn't start the 2nd half because of it, and sat out the rest of the 1st half.

If they changed it so that blatant flopping would result in suspensions, I think the result would be the end of flopping, and I don't think anyone would actually get that suspension because it just wouldn't happen any more.

I've never seen an NBA coach not start somebody in the second half solely because they have 3 fouls.