Best Donuts in Iowa?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Too many varieties. I'll probably get crushed for saying this but it's hard to beat a plain old Krispy Kreme donut that melts in your mouth.

kk-original-glazed-dozen.jpg

sleestakCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 2, 2013
Bread Market Garden in Iowa City....giant, handmade donuts available on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday only.

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Jaarsma Bakery in Pella. The simple glazed doughnuts must have crack in them. Best I have ever had.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
When I saw the title of the thread, the first thought in my head was "anyone who says Krappy Kreme is dead to me". Lo & behold, first post extols their virtues.

Blerg!

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
There used to be a donut shop on Lincoln way close to the Duff intersection. They made amazing pumpkin donuts and applesauce donuts. They were wonderful when they were fresh, and also good when we would freeze them then nuke one for a quick breakfast on the go.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Maybe I'll get mocked, but I don't care. I'm a Dunkin Donuts kind of guy. Except on Fat Tuesday. Dunkin Donuts filled donuts are not paczkis.

The real question is if you can find a real paczki anywhere in Iowa.

LPC

Sep 5, 2011
Apparently no one in this thread has been to La Porte City and had the cinnamon twist donuts from the La Porte City Bakery.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Donut King in West Des Moines. Donuts are much better than Dunkin, which to me, taste too institutional.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Some people hate anything that becomes big. Probably has a cute name for Coke also.

Actually, Coke was for many years my pop of choice - I had a can of it near me most of my waking hours. I developed an ulcer when my son went to Iraq (go figure!), and the doc said no more Coke. Still miss it.

My problem with Krispy Kreme is the frosting. I like chocolate frosting on donuts...they use imitation chocolate flavored wax on theirs. They're okay, but they were extremely over-hyped when they first started selling around here, and I tend to develop an aversion to trendy things that I'm told I have to like in order to be cool.

So there it is! :)

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Donut King in West Des Moines. Donuts are much better than Dunkin, which to me, taste too institutional.

Donut King is a solid choice, although you need to be prepared for some rough customer service. If you're easily offended by the guy behind the counter not kissing your *** as soon as you walk through the door, you should probably skip it.

Just because it's closer to me I've also become a big fan of Donut Hut on Douglas Ave. Pretty similar styles/quality to Donut King, imo, and actually a really nice family that runs the place to boot.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
The best donuts in Iowa would be Spunky Dunkers, but the only way they would be Iowa is if I buy some and drive them over. If ever in around Palatine, IL look it up. Best donuts I have ever had.

Also, if you are ever around a real polish bakery, buy a Paczkis. I personally like them with raspberry filling, but some people prefer the pudding. You really can't go wrong with whatever it is you get.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron