RECRUITING: Hallice Cooke visiting this weekend

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Yes I do, thanks for that valuable insight that has nothing to do with my point. You realize that if Cooke signs we only have 2 scholarships for next year and that's three players?

Having less spots to fill is a good thing. It's easier for Fred to swing for the fences with only two spots open next year (realistically it could be 3 if someone transfers).

Our strategy is recruit HS players that can make an instant impact, and fill in with transfers who are already proven.

It's a great strategy actually.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
That story from CW just makes this all seem a lil fishy. I know there are backdoor deals done all the time, you just never hear about them.

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009
Seriously, shut up and go cheer for another team. Niang, Thomas and Morris were all four star recruits. With the exception of maybe Diallo, we actually have shown the ability to recruit at that level. Shoot, even Custer is a four star recruit!

Calm down, these guys are on another level and will be tough gets. Diallo is a top ten recruit, who can go anywhere. Ellenson is also a top level big man, with a recent Duke offer among others. Ahmad and dad seem infatuated with big ten schools, plans visits to Michigan and MSU without an offer, and is waiting for OSu to offer. I love Niang, Morris, Thomas, Custer, they look to be great gets, but none were as highly recruited as Diallo, Ellenson, and we'll see if Ahmad moves up in rankings with this AAU season.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Calm down, these guys are on another level and will be tough gets. Diallo is a top ten recruit, who can go anywhere. Ellenson is also a top level big man, with a recent Duke offer among others. Ahmad and dad seem infatuated with big ten schools, plans visits to Michigan and MSU without an offer, and is waiting for OSu to offer. I love Niang, Morris, Thomas, Custer, they look to be great gets, but none were as highly recruited as Diallo, Ellenson, and we'll see if Ahmad moves up in rankings with this AAU season.

You are clueless.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
No doubt they play like big fish, but they're recruiting situation is way less competitive and it's generally a very short process. It's totally different competing with Syracuse, Uconn, KU, Kentucky, Duke, and many others that may be involved with Ellenson, Diallo and Esa.

Not that I really care, because I think Cooke and Anderson will probably produce as much or more than any of those two in 2015-16.

At the end of the day, I just want to win. Winning recruiting beauty pageants is fine, but go deep in the tourney and compete for the B12 championship and we'll be happy regardless of how many stars our players have.

I
Which is what I was getting at. At a certain level I think fans, myself included, get caught up in winning recruiting, even though it may not mean a better shot of winning basketball games. Imo being hung-up on the staff not getting enough elite prep guys is a sign of that. Why does it matter if the staff has found a pond with big fish that less people fish at? I think some here would be more excited for an unknown high school guy that we beat Duke for, the next Matt Jones, than getting a good transfer from Duke that had proven to be a good college player.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yeah but they can't recruit high school kids according to so many Debbie Downer's.

They have struggled to get their high school targets. However as we have seen it doesn't really matter.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Cooke says he is in no hurry but didn't BDJ say he was in no hurry and he committed before he even left Ames?

The way Hoiberg and Abdelmassih can instantly woo transfer players is amazing. If the staff believes a transfer can impact the program I believe they'll commit before they leave town 9 times out of 10.

I think the "no hurrry" thing is just something you say to sound like you're keeping all options open and thinking things through, even though Cooke sounds like he's thought things through already.

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
Seriously, shut up and go cheer for another team. Niang, Thomas and Morris were all four star recruits. With the exception of maybe Diallo, we actually have shown the ability to recruit at that level. Shoot, even Custer is a four star recruit!

He has a point. Niang, Thomas, morris and even custer for this argument may have been four stars, but they had no where near the level of offers that guys like Diallo, ellenson, rashad vaughn and other big time guys we've missed out on.

Niang: isu, bama, charlotte, delaware, fau, george mason, hofstra, iowa, umass, miami, northeastern, providence, sienna, texas a&m

Thomas:isu, boston college, colorado state, creighton, wisc-greenbay, marquette, minn, nebraska, uni, northwestern, virginia, wisconsin

morris: isu, Arizona state, cincinnati, georgia tech, princeton, providence, rhode island, usc, western michigan

custer: isu, houston, kstate, oklahoma, okie state, san francisco, south carolina, tulsa

red were tournament teams this year and yes Iowa counts...

We hardly beat out the kansas' and duke's of the world to get these four guys. Of course there are exceptions to these guys, i.e. Woodbury to UNC. The best offers were matt thomas' to wisconsin and virginia. Morris didn't even have an offer from michigan or michigan state (yes, I remember michigan pulled their offer once walton committed).

They are awesome players and are very good, but guys like Vaughn and Diallo are on different levels. It's a little bit different if you beat out Duke, Kansas or Kentucky rather than the high majority that we did for these guys. Fortunately, we recruit transfers like nobody's business, so this high school recruiting garbage doesn't even matter. Lolololol Free agency snitches!!!!!

Last edited:

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I think the "no hurrry" thing is just something you say to sound like you're keeping all options open and thinking things through, even though Cooke sounds like he's thought things through already.

I agree. Kids want to keep their options open in case they don't like their visit, or teammates, etc. I don't read too much into these type of comments. Many kids, transfers or otherwise, say they are going to take all their visits, and then 2 days later commit.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Diallo is a top ten recruit, who can go anywhere. Ellenson is also a top level big man, with a recent Duke offer among others. Ahmad and dad seem infatuated with big ten schools, plans visits to Michigan and MSU without an offer, and is waiting for OSu to offer. I love Niang, Morris, Thomas, Custer, they look to be great gets, but none were as highly recruited as Diallo, Ellenson, and we'll see if Ahmad moves up in rankings with this AAU season.
And none are local. Are you surprised a kid in Ohio will be tough to get over Big 10 schools or is waiting for an OSU offer? These guys are low odds for any school, let alone one from Iowa with less success than the local schools and without the glamour of the non-local bluebloods.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
If we are seriously in on Ellenson, Noskowiak and Diallo....count me as one to pass on Cooke. He's going to take one of their scholarships. And everyone seems to be ALL IN on the 2015-16 team, I have to assume you'd rather have those three also right?

So you're telling me you are going to pass on a kid who has proven himself as a freshman at the collegiate level (8 ppg/46% 3P%), has NBA potential and people talking with 3 years eligibility over unproven Seniors in HS? We aren't even leading, that we know of, on any of these kids. Don't get me wrong, Fred needs to land a high impact Mcd AA sometime, but he's proving the transfer route is working very effectively versus spending 1-4 years on kids who, lets be honest, aren't always making the best decisions in life at that age. There was a lot of time spent on Vaughn and look how that turned out. How much time/money was allocated towards BDJ?

Fred and company got on Cooke early for a reason. You passing means you don't trust Fred. Blasphemy.

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009
And none are local. Are you surprised a kid in Ohio will be tough to get over Big 10 schools or is waiting for an OSU offer? These guys are low odds for any school, let alone one from Iowa with less success than the local schools and without the glamour of the non-local bluebloods.

I agree 100% with you, that is the struggle we still face.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I agree 100% with you, that is the struggle we still face.
Good thing the goal is not winning at high school recruiting. Until it is, I think the staff is doing near an optimal job. Priority number 1 imo is getting the elite transfers. They likely will have bigger impacts than OAD guys. If we finish out with Cooke and Anderson, this offseason will have been a step towards that. Even if we could get 5-stars, I would still want to get the same amount of transfers as we do now.