RECRUITING: Hallice Cooke visiting this weekend

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
If we are seriously in on Ellenson, Noskowiak and Diallo....count me as one to pass on Cooke. He's going to take one of their scholarships. And everyone seems to be ALL IN on the 2015-16 team, I have to assume you'd rather have those three also right?

You realize that Cooke and Diallo/Ellenson play totally different positions right?

Cooke is our #1 guard target and if we miss on him then we can worry about Nick N

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If we are seriously in on Ellenson, Noskowiak and Diallo....count me as one to pass on Cooke. He's going to take one of their scholarships. And everyone seems to be ALL IN on the 2015-16 team, I have to assume you'd rather have those three also right?

1 in hand > 2 in bush

We aren't getting all three of those guys anyway. If we get Cook we probably stop recruiting Nick. At least I would guess that but Fred is Fred.

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
1 in hand > 2 in bush

We aren't getting all three of those guys anyway. If we get Cook we probably stop recruiting Nick. At least I would guess that but Fred is Fred.

I agree it's better to have something than nothing (see: RV). Just expressing a passing thought....

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I agree it's better to have something than nothing (see: RV). Just expressing a passing thought....

With Cooke, you have more than just "something" because he hit 45% from 3 as a FR. He's on the radar of the NBA. He's proven against the type of talent he'll face consistently in the B12. None of the other 3 you mentioned are proven at the collegiate level.

That isn't to say that NN won't be a very good ball player, but evaluating transfers is much easier than guessing on HS kids based on their body of work.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Had a dream last night that we didn't get him. However generally the things I dream don't become the reality so we're good.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
With Cooke, you have more than just "something" because he hit 45% from 3 as a FR. He's on the radar of the NBA. He's proven against the type of talent he'll face consistently in the B12. None of the other 3 you mentioned are proven at the collegiate level.

That isn't to say that NN won't be a very good ball player, but evaluating transfers is much easier than guessing on HS kids based on their body of work.
Exactly. It is not as though Cooke is a fall back recruit. The staff has made comments about keeping a scholarship open as a potential plan and have cooled somewhat on 4-star high school guys. Given that selectivity, if we are going after Cooke we must feel he is very good. 2015-16 is going to be a huge year for us and Cooke as a redshirt Soph that has been in the program a year is going to a bigger asset than all but the very elite preps.

Plus, we still have two scholarships. It would be surprising to get one, let alone three.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007

Absolutely not. A guy that's proven at a D1 school that shot 46% from 3 as a freshman. You take that guy over almost any high schooler. Especially if you are not sure the high schooler is ours to get. Have you seen the list of teams after the three guys you mentioned?

Diallo: Arizona, Kansas, Ohio State
Ellenson: Baylor, Duke, Michigan St, Wisconsin
Noskowiak: Marquette, Creighton, and I'm sure his list will grow now that his recruitment opened up.

We are going against the who's who of college basketball for these three, as apposed to transfers, where we are the king. It's good to be the king.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Cooke says he is in no hurry but didn't BDJ say he was in no hurry and he committed before he even left Ames?

The way Hoiberg and Abdelmassih can instantly woo transfer players is amazing. If the staff believes a transfer can impact the program I believe they'll commit before they leave town 9 times out of 10.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

I would actually take the exact opposite opinion if the team is truely "ALL IN" on 2015-16 you take two transfers who both have played at a high level in ACC/Pac 10 over the potential of getting HS recruits. Cooke and Anderson will have a red shirt year to learn the system and build chemistry. Fran Franchillia tweeted that he has heard NBA scouts noticing and liking Cooke's potiential at the next level during his freshman year. Most of the recruiting experts were mentioning what a huge loss it was for the OSU program. This isn't the case of just filling a scholarship, it is getting a SG with NBA protential that was under recruited, not to mention he has 3 years of eligibility left.

As for getting those three recruits mentioned, if they want to come the staff will find room for them. Djean-Jones, Edozie, and Hogue will graduate and it is possible another scholarship opens up for various reasons 2 years from today.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA

Said no one ever.

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009

I don't think we have much of a chance with Diallo, Ellenson, Esa Ahmad, this staff hasn't shown that type of ability to recruit at that level.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I don't think we have much of a chance with Diallo, Ellenson, Esa Ahmad, this staff hasn't shown that type of ability to recruit at that level.

I agree we haven't shown it with HS players and I would certainly sign Anderson and Cooke up today, but sooner or later, Fred is going to start landing a big fish or two.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA

Seriously, shut up and go cheer for another team. Niang, Thomas and Morris were all four star recruits. With the exception of maybe Diallo, we actually have shown the ability to recruit at that level. Shoot, even Custer is a four star recruit!

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
You realize that Cooke and Diallo/Ellenson play totally different positions right?

Cooke is our #1 guard target and if we miss on him then we can worry about Nick N

Yes I do, thanks for that valuable insight that has nothing to do with my point. You realize that if Cooke signs we only have 2 scholarships for next year and that's three players?

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
Yes I do, thanks for that valuable insight that has nothing to do with my point. You realize that if Cooke signs we only have 2 scholarships for next year and that's three players?

We are sitting just fine on scholarships for next season. We are at 13 if Anderson and Cooke both commit.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Transfers are big fish imo.

No doubt they play like big fish, but they're recruiting situation is way less competitive and it's generally a very short process. It's totally different competing with Syracuse, Uconn, KU, Kentucky, Duke, and many others that may be involved with Ellenson, Diallo and Esa.

Not that I really care, because I think Cooke and Anderson will probably produce as much or more than any of those two in 2015-16.

At the end of the day, I just want to win. Winning recruiting beauty pageants is fine, but go deep in the tourney and compete for the B12 championship and we'll be happy regardless of how many stars our players have.

I