Concern for next year

clone87

Dec 7, 2007
While I am loving the idea of stockpiling the likes of Darien Williams and possibly Anderson/Hollowell for two years down the road, I'm wondering about our available bodies for next year.

We have 11 scholarship players set for 14-15. One is McKay, out until semester. That makes 10. Nader likely faces a suspension to start the season and who knows for how long - that makes 9 for a while.

Leaves little margin for error, such as an injury, academic casualty, freak illness, foul trouble, etc.

We can be great next year - I'd hate to jeopardize that with low scholarship numbers.

Cychotiic

Nov 27, 2010
Ames
Yes let's go after all the high caliber high school players that are available.

We played 7 people for the most part this year. 7 < 9 I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so I think we are good.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
While I am loving the idea of stockpiling the likes of Darien Williams and possibly Anderson/Hollowell for two years down the road, I'm wondering about our available bodies for next year.

We have 11 scholarship players set for 14-15. One is McKay, out until semester. That makes 10. Nader likely faces a suspension to start the season and who knows for how long - that makes 9 for a while.

Leaves little margin for error, such as an injury, academic casualty, freak illness, foul trouble, etc.

We can be great next year - I'd hate to jeopardize that with low scholarship numbers.

How many did we truly play this year? Not terribly worried.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I'd be stunned if Nader misses more than four games. And nine scholarship bodies isn't that bad, especially considering seven of them played significant and meaningful minutes in the NCAA tournament. It essentially just means Edozie might need to play some to start the season.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Another thread about having a thin bench? What are we, Hawkeyes?

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
I don't think you should be concerned.

Nader will likely only be out for a few games. Usually, those first 3 games are against cupcakes anyways (except this past season)

But even with the 9 scholarship players, we'll still likely have a solid rotation of 7

Morris
Naz
BDJ
Hogue
Niang

Custer and Thomas off the bench

with SDW and Edozie playing spot minutes

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
BDJ replaces Kane, Hogue moves into Ejims role and Nader steps in for Hogue. Nader will miss no more than 1 or 2 games unless he does something stupid again. Nothing else is different until McKay is eligible. Naz, Thomas and Morris are all a year older with experience. No worries.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Assuming Nader gets some form of a suspension and McKay doesn't get a waiver the starting lineup will more or less look like this.

Morris
DeJean-Jones
Long
Hogue
Niang

That's with a bench of Custer, Thomas, Dorsey-Walker, Kourtlin Jackson, and Edozie.

We'll be fine.

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
Not concerned in the slightest. Nader isn't going to miss any games of much import. It's not like you need 13 scholarship players active. Nobody plays that many guys (insert tired and lame Iowa joke here)

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Think about it this way....

We swap BDJ for Kane

We swap Nader for Ejim (Ejim missed the first 2 games last year)

We swap McKay for Percy

Niang, Naz, Hogue, and Edozie are all a year older.

Thomas and Morris now have a year under their belts.

Custer joins

Tell me again why you're worried...

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX

You realize those available bodies are good ones to have right?

Morris, Custer
BDJ, Naz, Thomas
Nader, Hogue, SDW
Niang, Edozie
McKay

That means Edozie, SDW are 5th and 6th off the bench with Nader and McKay... 3rd and 4th without those two which is exactly what they were this year.

No need to worry.