How long will the current transfer rules exist?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
Had a long discussion last night with some folks, former coaches....about the current transfer rules and noticed that there is an NCAA board meeting April 24th. Probably nothing happens at that meeting......but how long do you forsee this garage sale type recruiting to exist with the way the NCAA is?

On one hand (and homerism) i think the student athlete has earned the right by graduating to use his 5th year and freely transfer wherever he wants to play wherever he wants. Hes earned that thru his education and work on the court/field.

The other hand or arguement is from an NCAA persepctive....is that REALLY in tune with NCAA values as the 5th year transfer has zero to do with education of the player.

And does the growing importance of these transfers start altering the way coaches "deal" with players...for instance.....do coaches monitor closer who they redshirt, because if the kid graduates, he could leave. Can it create a situation where coaches slow acadamic progress.

I think we are going to see some sort of reform....its just what will it be and when.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Why would they change it? There is already a penalty of sitting out for transferring... They can't penalize athletes for continuing their education after graduating if their current school doesn't offer what they need next.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I don't see anything changing any time soon in regards to the graduate rule. And frankly - I think it's a good rule.

I don't think it's a simple as getting your degree and being able to transfer carte-blanche. You have to transfer to a program not offered by your current institution, correct? Granted - that's the easiest thing in the world to circumvent. But it has a good intent, particularly for kids at smaller schools with very limited graduate programs. ..

It's unfortunate for the school, but I think it the best interest for the student (for once). So now that I say that, and realizing we're talking about the NCAA, I fully expect them to remove this loophole and place ISU on probation.

hexodat64

Dec 5, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
If they no longer allow the 5th year, I'll be anxious to hear how they think the situation of at least attempting a masters degree is worse for college integrity than someone like Andrew Wiggins who clearly noted at the beginning of the year "I'm excited for my last year of school" (not a knock on him at all, just noting the situation he's in)

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
The rule I want to see changed by the NBA is the one and done. Forcing them to stay at least a second year is better for both parties.

Keeps talent in the NCAA longer, and gives players more experience and time to develop. Also gives the scouts more tape to work with. I know the NBA is all about raw talent and potential, but it still makes sense.

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
Why would they change it? There is already a penalty of sitting out for transferring... They can't penalize athletes for continuing their education after graduating if their current school doesn't offer what they need next.

But dealing with 5th year guys who have graduated.....they transfer is pretty much based on playing time, not the schoolwork.

The folks IMO who should be banging down the NCAA door to have this rule changed are mid majors. Thats essentially where a lot of these guys get plucked (Im aware WE have had a lot of D1 guys). I dont have the numbers but im guessing they tend to redshirt more, it also allows the 5th year kid to get to a major conference/school like Kane for instance.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
The rule I want to see changed by the NBA is the one and done. Forcing them to stay at least a second year is better for both parties.

Keeps talent in the NCAA longer, and gives players more experience and time to develop. Also gives the scouts more tape to work with. I know the NBA is all about raw talent and potential, but it still makes sense.

Change the rules on freshmen scholarships to have them count for two years (whether or not the player is there for one or two years). Schools could still load up on one & dones, but the next year would potentially suck. It wouldn't be a huge deterrent for getting one of those kind of players, but would force Kentucky or Kansas to rethink their recruiting.

Snyder21

Apr 25, 2012
Sioux City, IA

Agreed. I think that if the player is touted enough he should have the right to go to the NBA right out of high school. If the player decides to play college ball he should have to stay at least 2 years.

hexodat64

Dec 5, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Change the rules on freshmen scholarships to have them count for two years (whether or not the player is there for one or two years). Schools could still load up on one & dones, but the next year would potentially suck. It wouldn't be a huge deterrent for getting one of those kind of players, but would force Kentucky or Kansas to rethink their recruiting.

This is an interesting solution I hadn't heard before. Seems like it could be putting the players themselves in a tough situation. I mean if they are good enough to go pro, and the NBA would take them, it could be foolish to stay. As much as we rag on the one and dones, they are going to college to get ready for their future, which is what college really about right?

Ultimately, I don't the whole one and done issue is going to change until the NBA decides they need to stay at least 2 years.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
These kids are not indentured servants.

I would love to see the NCAA defend against a lawsuit that penalizes a player that earns an undergraduate degree. The NCAA pretends that they want these kids to be student athletes, so anything that rewards them for getting a degree should be encouraged not discouraged.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Why do people buy into the nonsense that this is a bad rule?

Any rule that encourages a guy to complete his undergraduate degree is a good rule. And let's be honest, this is what it does in some instances.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

Or these kids could be allowed to go straight from high school to the NBA if they choose to do so. It's crazy to force them into college for a year. It pollutes the integrity of college athletics by forcing a kid who has no desire to be a STUDENT/athlete to "pretend" to attend college for what... a semester and then bolt for the NBA? These one and done freshman are nothing more then hired guns for a semester and that isn't good for the college game at all.

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
All of the coaches at the blue bloods who fill their teams with 5 stars hate it, because this is a way for the less exposed teams to get talent and compete. I can't wait for the NBA to up the age limit on the NBA. No more one and done's.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
These kids are not indentured servants.

I would love to see the NCAA defend against a lawsuit that penalizes a player that earns an undergraduate degree. The NCAA pretends that they want these kids to be student athletes, so anything that rewards them for getting a degree should be encouraged not discouraged.

And hard as it is to believe, graduation is not the only reason people go to college. Getting some extra graduate coursework is not a bad thing, assuming it is legitimate coursework (maybe another discussion to have).

The number of Americans who have had "some" college is like 56% and the number with a degree is under 30% (just estimating numbers from a few years ago).

The NCAA is so full of poor decisions, that they should maybe prioritize actually making student-athletes be students over guys who actually get a degree and then go on to grad work. Look at the stories coming out of schools like UNC where academics are made a joke.

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
Why do people buy into the nonsense that this is a bad rule?

Any rule that encourages a guy to complete his undergraduate degree is a good rule. And let's be honest, this is what it does in some instances.

The transfer rule does not promote the education of a student......it just allows them to play elsewhere free of the original school. I would say its encouraging education.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I like the rule that allows them to play immediately after graduating. Unfortunately, it seems like some of those in power want to end the transfer "epidemic," and if that's the case than I'd expect tougher rules to limit transfers ability to play immediately.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Look at Marcus Smart... he opted to go back to school for another year. Why? He wanted to work on his perimeter shooting. Notice he didn't say he wanted to continue his education, he wanted to get closer to earning his degree if basketball didn't work out in his future, etc... It was purely a decision to further his basketball career and had absolutely nothing to do with being a student/athlete.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I don't see why we would want to force every kid (who chose a school at 17 or 18) to stay at that school for 4-5 years if they feel like they made a mistake or would rather be elsewhere.

There is already a penalty in place for those that transfer before they graduate. That should be enough of a disincentive to make sure it's not abused.

Secondly as for the graduate transfers, why would ANY coach or AD want to penalize kids for graduating early. In fact even the school they transfer from wins because these kids have graduated, helping the schools APR.

fsanford

Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
It's the only rule really that exists today that currently empowers the student. So I imagine that is bad in the NCAA's eyes.

For example I believe scholarships are given on a yearly basis and can be pulled at any time without penalty as long as the kid is on schedule to graduate. And yet if the kid wants to leave he has forfeit 1 year unless he has his degree. Kind of one sided if you ask me.

Last edited: