***Official USMNT Thread***

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Forgive me if I am not overly excited about Green yet. Jermaine Jones bust. Tim Chandler bust to this point. Only Fabian Johnson has been worth a darn recently that chose US over Germany and it really wasn't much of a question with him. Green looks good hopefully not just hype.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Forgive me if I am not overly excited about Green yet. Jermaine Jones bust. Tim Chandler bust to this point. Only Fabian Johnson has been worth a darn recently that chose US over Germany and it really wasn't much of a question with him. Green looks good hopefully not just hype.
Ernie Stewart.
Thomas Dooley.
Hugo Perez.
Tab Ramos.
Roy Wegerle.
Frankie klopas.
Fernando Clavijo.
David Regis.
Preki.
Pablo Mastroeni.
Carlos Llamosa.
Hercules Gomez.
Stuart Holden.
Ben Feilhaber.

a few examples of you are wrong

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Ernie Stewart.
Thomas Dooley.
Hugo Perez.
Tab Ramos.
Roy Wegerle.
Frankie klopas.
Fernando Clavijo.
David Regis.
Preki.

Pablo Mastroeni.
Carlos Llamosa.
Hercules Gomez.
Stuart Holden.
Ben Feilhaber.

a few examples of you are wrong

Said recently first off. 2nd It makes sense you would say Jones wasn't a bust or a liablity if you think Mastroeni was good. 3rd I love Benny Feilhaber but what has he contributed on the biggest stage for the Mens team. He was great in 2005 for the youth team but you have to admit his Men's career has been unrealized potential. I would love to be wrong about that. 4th Herc solid, dont want to bash on him but nah. 5th Holden is awesome injuries have plagued him.

Funny you bring up Holden as proof for a quality Jones. You realize if Holden doesn't get that first knee injury Jones never wears the US shirt and Bradley Holden pairing is one of the best CM mid pairings in the world.

Edit - Benny is Brazilian FYI that was his dual citizenship. Herc Mex, etc. I was talking specifically about the players that chose US RECENTLY over Germany.

Last edited:

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I know this game is meaningless and is nothing more than just a tune up for the World Cup in June, but why in the hell do we keep playing Mexico along the southern border?
The pro Mexico crowd should be a good challenge before heading to Brazil. That said, we haven't scheduled Mexico down south since 2008: Mexico.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Said recently first off. 2nd It makes sense you would say Jones wasn't a bust or a liablity if you think Mastroeni was good. 3rd I love Benny Feilhaber but what has he contributed on the biggest stage for the Mens team. He was great in 2005 for the youth team but you have to admit his Men's career has been unrealized potential. I would love to be wrong about that. 4th Herc solid, dont want to bash on him but nah. 5th Holden is awesome injuries have plagued him.

Funny you bring up Holden as proof for a quality Jones. You realize if Holden doesn't get that first knee injury Jones never wears the US shirt and Bradley Holden pairing is one of the best CM mid pairings in the world.

Edit - Benny is Brazilian FYI that was his dual citizenship. I was talking specifically about the players that chose US RECENTLY over Germany.
I am making a case for internstional footballers generally and your " recent" comment is non-sensical. To determine a pool of players useless because a few didnt meet expectations is foolish. Maybe fred should stop recruiting since he recently didnt get Vaughn.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
I am making a case for internstional footballers generally and your " recent" comment is non-sensical. To determine a pool of players useless because a few didnt meet expectations is foolish. Maybe fred should stop recruiting since he recently didnt get Vaughn.

Recent for me was the last WC cycle leading up to 2010 and this WC cycle to 2014.

I really do apologize for not being specific. I certainly understand how you would have absolutely no context for what I meant when I said recently. And then I did it again, thanks for pointing it out.

Last edited:

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Recent for me was the last WC cycle leading up to 2010 and this WC cycle to 2014.

I really do apologize for not being specific. I certainly understand how you would have absolutely no context for what I meant when I said recently. And then I did it again, thanks for pointing it out.
I certainly accept your apology. For those of us that have a broader perspective of the game it is easy for us to mock the uninformed.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
I certainly accept your apology. For those of us that have a broader perspective of the game it is easy for us to mock the uninformed.

Truer words have never been spoken about this site. It is tough to know what type of Football (not American Throwball) Fan you are talking to on Cy Fan.

Last edited:

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
JMB - You brought up Preki. That is who I think the USA should approach for Head Coach if Jurgen completely flops this Summer. I like Jurgen and think what he is doing is great. We are headed in the right direction. But man I am dazed by the way Preki leads his troops. I think he would be a great USA HC at some point.

Edit - Dazed I did it again. = In Awe of the way a US manager has total control with a style of play that would project IMO to the World Game

Last edited:

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
JMB - You brought up Preki. That is who I think the USA should approach for Head Coach if Jurgen completely flops this Summer. I like Jurgen and think what he is doing is great. We are headed in the right direction. But man I am dazed by the way Preki leads his troops. I think he would be a great USA HC at some point.

Edit - Dazed I did it again. = In Awe of the way a US manager has total control with a style of play that would project IMO to the World Game
To close to bob Bradley for me.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
To close to bob Bradley for me.

Really? I certainly don't want Bunker down Bob. To me his walks the other side of line not bunker in defensively but has a solid counter attacking game. I could see how it would be close tho. I have always had the feeling if he got better players he would expand the system and push his pressure up the pitch depending on players. He always has less talent and does more with it, it seems

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Ultimately I want a manager that would play or isn't afraid to play a high pressure game. That doesn't mean that they have to play a high back line. I just want a Manager for the US that preaches pressure with structure. Not just guys running around with no direction. It seems with the USA if we lose the ball we retreat, instead of pressing and trying to win the ball back. Or at the very least not letting the team have all day to pick out pass after freaking pass

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron