IOWA vs IOWA STATE

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Are we back to that "would you rather beat Iowa or Michigan" discussion, or just making early justifications to feel better about a loss that isn't happening?

Historically, a fan, I would always take a win vs Iowa for bragging rights and to re-enforce ISU is the the basketball program in the state. That said, this year wasn't a normal past Non-conf schedule and I was way more excited for the #7 Michigan game. There were so many unknowns of how the players perform on a national stage against the Nat'l runner up, ESPN2/Dicky V. and it was raised to another level when Vaughn decided to take his official visit for that game. That win helped the program more than any win vs Iowa in the past/or on Friday could possibly achieve, National ranking, Dicky V raving about Hilton, and impressing RV.

A loss to michigan was more important than beating Iowa this year, thus I don't think it is justification of fans.
Not that it matters, I expect that we win tomorrow anyway.

Last edited:

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Michigan had Dickie V in the house, Rashad Vaughn in the house and Michigan was #7 in the country at the time...a lot more exposure. Nobody really cares about an Iowa/ISU game on ESPNU outside the state of Iowa. If ISU loses to Michigan they don't get ranked right away and don't get near the positive attention they have gotten. I think ISU wins but this game doesn't excite me compared to the Michigan game

Riiighht! Is that why you have about 1,000 posts this week between this thread and the in state rival threads?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Riiighht! Is that why you have about 1,000 posts this week between this thread and the in state rival threads?

Being bored before the lunch rush at work doesn't mean I'm as excited. If there were dozens of uneducated Michigan fans here the week of that game I would have doubled up my posts that week

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames

Yeah and that doesn't have anything to do with the twenty hawk posters and trolls posting, right?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
Now if I could only get you to admit it's Iowa's Super Bowl every time they play ISU in any sport...

It's just not a #SuperBowl in BB. It just doesn't make much of a difference in the long haul. For instance ISU being one of Iowas better wins last year wasn't enough to push them into the NCAA (the rest of the year mattered more). Conversely ISU losing to Iowa didn't keep them out of the NCAA (the rest of the year mattered more).

It makes so much more of a difference being 1 of 12 football games, plus the #SuperBowl is football.....derrrrr.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
It's just not a #SuperBowl in BB. It just doesn't make much of a difference in the long haul. For instance ISU being one of Iowas better wins last year wasn't enough to push them into the NCAA (the rest of the year mattered more). Conversely ISU losing to Iowa didn't keep them out of the NCAA (the rest of the year mattered more).

It makes so much more of a difference being 1 of 12 football games, plus the #SuperBowl is football.....derrrrr.

Vegas already knows this is Iowa's NIT finals

Reactions: LindenCy

Clone1138

Apr 18, 2013
Central Iowa
I can't wait until 36 hours from now when I can go back to devoting 100% of my hate back towards Kansas and then can forget about the Iowa Hawkeye basketball team for another year, much like most of their mouthbreathing fanbase already does.

Knight78

Dec 11, 2013
ISU's SOS is 104, Iowa's is 105. Don't know where you got the 52 for Iowa. Iowa's will be ahead of ISU after Friday but then ISU plays George Mason and two other teams in a tournament on a neutral court which will move it up. After Friday Iowa only has Arkansas Pine-Bluff left for the non conf schedule

Actually, by this morning's CBS ratings, Iowa's SOS is 58 and ISU is 95. On TeamRankings, Iowa's SOS is 72 and ISU's is 85. KenPom has Iowa at 16 and ISU at 22. Sagarin has Iowa at 5 and ISU at 6 (strange, this one - BOTH in the top 10?!)

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Actually, by this morning's CBS ratings, Iowa's SOS is 58 and ISU is 95. On TeamRankings, Iowa's SOS is 72 and ISU's is 85. KenPom has Iowa at 16 and ISU at 22. Sagarin has Iowa at 5 and ISU at 6 (strange, this one - BOTH in the top 10?!)

CBS' RPI has ISU's SOS at 95 and Iowa's at 107