IOWA vs IOWA STATE

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyke

Jun 22, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I posted this in another thread. Thought it might get some love here.

21b2at1.jpg

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I don't believe this for a second. If Iowa beats ISU, I would bet that 99% of ISU fans would trade the Michigan win for a win against Iowa. Both are non conference, so it means nothing that way, but beating Iowa shuts up the Iowa fan base.......Do you know how insufferable Iowa fan is gonna be if they walk into Hilton and come out with a win???

If you take out the Vaughn/Vitale/national exposure aspect then I would agree with you. There is probably 5% of the fan base that actually feels that this is just another good non-conference game but 95% of both fan bases get more excited for this one than any other outside of conference play.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
For myself, the game gets a boost because its Iowa. But most of my interest is because it's a ranked opponent. Given a choice I'd favor a game against any team ranked higher than us over this game (for the most part).

Seedman

Jan 13, 2011
Ames
I watched Iowa play against UNC Wilmington and they are VERY similar to us. Which team is better over all..offense and defense..threes etc. To me...and yes I am a HUGE ISU fan...but I wanted some input on how ISU stacks up against IOWA....because I know IOWA is tough.

IOWA better over all...or ISU.

The pros are giving ISU around a 9 point advantage. If you are trying to predict the future, it is always wise to examine the past. Historically, virtually no competitor comes into Hilton and leaves with a victory!!! That is the bottom line. No question, this will be a major test for both programs. The winner will move up in the rankings. The loser may fall out and the first 15 minutes may tell the tale in this one. Remember, you can’t score if you don’t have the ball. If Melvin, Dustin and DeAndre deliver another warrior like rebounding effort, it is advantage ISU. We can’t forget that this Cyclone team has a lot of weapons and the team will be likely to play the way they have practiced. You better believe this powerful playmaking band of brothers are tough as nails!!! Dustin, DeAndre, Georges, Melvin, Matt, Monte and Naz will come in as a fully focused TEAM with a shared will to win! Add in Sherron Dorsey-Walker and Daniel Edozie and we should be able to move some mountains. Hilton Magic will be shaking the floor and the University of Iowa with Hilton winning the six man award for the night! Go Cyclones!

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I don't believe this for a second. If Iowa beats ISU, I would bet that 99% of ISU fans would trade the Michigan win for a win against Iowa. Both are non conference, so it means nothing that way, but beating Iowa shuts up the Iowa fan base.......Do you know how insufferable Iowa fan is gonna be if they walk into Hilton and come out with a win???

While I agree with you on a lot of this, a win over a No 7 team (at the time) with Dickie V in the house, Rashad Vaughn in the stands was bigger than a win over Iowa. In a year when we thought we might be a bubble team, I'll take the early exposure from a win over the reigning runners up over anything Iowa offers. No disrespect intended.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
Watching the 1999 Iowa-Iowa State game on Cyclones.tv.

ISU is scary good, but Iowa had a really good team too. Kantrail Horton and Michael Nurse had their hands full with Dean Oliver, while Tinsley had 4 fouls. But Stevie Johnson, Paul Shirley, and Fizer were owning the boards.

It's on again at 2am.

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013

Ill take the Michigan win in a heart beat. We gained a lot more national recognition out of that game then we will gain from winning Friday.... Losing to Iowa would be harder to take but the win against Michigan is so much better from a national standpoint then beating Iowa. I don't know why we're even having this debate though since Iowa isn't winning in Hilton.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Watching the 1999 Iowa-Iowa State game on Cyclones.tv.

ISU is scary good, but Iowa had a really good team too. Kantrail Horton and Michael Nurse had their hands full with Dean Oliver, while Tinsley had 4 fouls. But Stevie Johnson, Paul Shirley, and Fizer were owning the boards.

It's on again at 2am.

I miss Stevie Wonder. I like how he meshed with Hok Fan.

cycart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2012
Johnston, IA
To be fair, the look a like thread is pretty spot on. It should be taken as a compliment that the hawk players are being compared to such famous individuals.