Rogers, Tribune, and Lynn

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
We're going to need these guys to contribute in a meaningful way very soon and how they perform is going to be key to getting some wins down the road.

Tribune needs an injection of confidence and unfortunately throwing him out their against that Texas receiver wasn't the best way to gain it. I think he has all the tools though.

Rodgers and Lynn better hit the film room this week as they are going to see lots of action.

Is it just me or is the D-line getting more pressure this year?

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Freshman CBs usually have to learn the hard way. They are going to get picked on. Even promising DBs will look bad at times - but it just takes time in the saddle.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Sam E didn't look great his first game but the game against Texas, he was a boss. They just need time to adjust to the game experience.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
They definitely need Nigel to be more physical or get him some good shoes. He had a tough four plays.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'm nervous that we needed to play him and what might happen if a starter misses extended time.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Freshman CBs usually have to learn the hard way. They are going to get picked on. Even promising DBs will look bad at times - but it just takes time in the saddle.

This is true, but I wish we would have given Tribune some help from the safety when he came into the game. Rhoads had to know that Texas was going to pick on him. Everyone in the stadium and watching on TV knew it. Tribune needed some help over the top from the safety, but instead he was on an island against Texas' best WR. Not a smart coaching decision by any means. I felt bad for the kid. Hope he learns from it.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
This is true, but I wish we would have given Tribune some help from the safety when he came into the game. Rhoads had to know that Texas was going to pick on him. Everyone in the stadium and watching on TV knew it. Tribune needed some help over the top from the safety, but instead he was on an island against Texas' best WR. Not a smart coaching decision by any means. I felt bad for the kid. Hope he learns from it.

I don't disagree, and I'm sure Rhoads and Burnham would tell you candidly that they wished they could do those plays over again.

In the next couple years, I'm pretty excited about Rogers and Tribune. They will take some lumps this year (it's bound to happen more - think about the GOOD passing teams we'll play...). Add that we have a couple more years of Lynn and Sam - I think our secondary will be ok.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don't disagree, and I'm sure Rhoads and Burnham would tell you candidly that they wished they could do those plays over again.

In the next couple years, I'm pretty excited about Rogers and Tribune. They will take some lumps this year (it's bound to happen more - think about the GOOD passing teams we'll play...). Add that we have a couple more years of Lynn and Sam - I think our secondary will be ok.

Don't you think that Rogers will be moved to Safety next year? We lose both starters back there, and right now Cotton and Shaeffer are the backups. I think Mutcherson will factor in though. But I could easily see Rogers and Mutcherson as our starting safeties next year.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
You could see McCoy just staring Davis down once Tribune came in on him, felt bad for the kid. Hopefully we can look back on this in a couple of years as a growing up moment for a shutdown corner.

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
Jesus, Tribune wasnt that bad. The first play he gave a cushion the exact same way Watson and Richardson give up and made the same play Watson would have. The second play was perfect coverage, bad call. The third play he got beat and grabbed the receiver, probably like he was taught to do. If you watched the Texas game last year, you saw Richardson get absolutely burnt by Davis. The staff probably didn't want that to happen again, so they told the corners to grab if they get beat deep.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Jesus, Tribune wasnt that bad. The first play he gave a cushion the exact same way Watson and Richardson give up and made the same play Watson would have. The second play was perfect coverage, bad call. The third play he got beat and grabbed the receiver, probably like he was taught to do. If you watched the Texas game last year, you saw Richardson get absolutely burnt by Davis. The staff probably didn't want that to happen again, so they told the corners to grab if they get beat deep.
2 out of 3 plays were not good.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Yeah, I wonder if they just weren't prepared to change what they were doing on the fly like that? It's like they just just Tribune to go out and do Watson's job. Sam Richardson played well, but I think he could have been helped out by the scheme, and like you said, it doesn't look like Tribune was at all. Hopefully Nigel bounces right back up.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
All of these guys, especially Rodgers should see time against Tech. I hope they are up to the challenge.