Rhoads's Recruiting

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
For those of you who think the recruiting is terrible, name one school in the Big 12 who you think we should be consistently beating in recruiting right now. I personally don't think there are any. The closest would be Kansas, but even they have been to a BCS bowl in the last decade. Everywhere else has either been very good recently, or is in a recruiting hotbed.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Recruiting is easier for fans to accept when real problem might be talent development.

Reactions: CyBobby

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Recruiting is easier for fans to accept when real problem might be talent development.

You need a minimum level of athlete to develop. It's not like other coaching staffs aren't trying to build and develop their players too. The problem is that CPR has run out of other coach's recruits, and his recruiting has been pretty brutal up until the tail end of the last class.

It turns out that there was a good reason when people started freaking out when we would offer guys that had no other offers and in some cases weren't even in the Rivals data base. If you recruit that level of athlete, you may find 1-2 diamonds in the rough, but on average, your talent level is so low that they can't be developed into BCS conference caliber players.

Reactions: deadeyededric

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong, but our recruiting classes have gotten better every year under Rhoads. We arent going to wake up one day and suddenly have 5 starts lining up.

Fire Rhoads and you can bet your *** our recruiting class will get much worse than you seem to think it is.

Reactions: Aclone

Spam

May 21, 2008

Most of us have always believed that Rhoads has always gotten more out of less. And the talent level seems to be dropping off every year. We'll probably pull of 1-2 unthinkable wins again this year, and hear the speeches. That should keep the excitement alive. And as long as the excitement is alive, the negatives are forgotten.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
You need a minimum level of athlete to develop. It's not like other coaching staffs aren't trying to build and develop their players too. The problem is that CPR has run out of other coach's recruits, and his recruiting has been pretty brutal up until the tail end of the last class.

It turns out that there was a good reason when people started freaking out when we would offer guys that had no other offers and in some cases weren't even in the Rivals data base. If you recruit that level of athlete, you may find 1-2 diamonds in the rough, but on average, your talent level is so low that they can't be developed into BCS conference caliber players.
This post is spot on! We need to look somewhere else for our talent base. You can't make all high 1-AA and Sun Belt caliber players competetive in the Big 12 no matter how good the training facility is.

Spam

May 21, 2008
If the talent level on offense is so pitiful, then at least, for heaven's sake, not let the play calling be so predictable.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
According to Rivals compared to the current teams in the B12:

2013: 9th (lowest star/player average)
2012: 10th
2011: 9th (but lowest star/player average)
2010: 9th (lowest star/player average)
2009: 9th
2008: 9th
2007: 8th
2006: 9th

This is the culmination of some bad recruiting over the years. Not much has changed, except now we're competing with KU and K-State near the bottom of the league instead of Baylor back in the mid 2000's.

Last edited:

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
According to Rivals compared to the current teams in the B12:

2013: 9th (lowest star/player average)
2012: 10th
2011: 9th (but lowest star/player average)
2010: 9th (lowest star/player average)
2009: 9th
2008: 9th
2007: 8th
2006: 9th

This is the culmination of some bad recruiting over the years. Not much has changed, except now we're competing with KU and K-State near the bottom of the league instead of Baylor back in the mid 2000's.

There are so many things that play into the improvement of a football program, but recruiting has easily been our worst. It might be improving very slightly, but it is certainly not top half of the conference.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Recruiting under Rhoads has been nothing spectacular but that's okay. Bill Snyder has shown this level of talent can be made into a winner and Rhoads is attempting to do the same. He's got the defensive players and coaches to be a very good Big 12 team, just not the play calling on offense right. That's all it comes down too. And even though recruiting isn't great, do you really think that's why we lost to UNI and Iowa? When we lose to Texas, Oklahoma, and TCU then you can talk about recruiting all you want.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Recruiting under Rhoads has been nothing spectacular but that's okay. Bill Snyder has shown this level of talent can be made into a winner and Rhoads is attempting to do the same. He's got the defensive players and coaches to be a very good Big 12 team, just not the play calling on offense right. That's all it comes down too. And even though recruiting isn't great, do you really think that's why we lost to UNI and Iowa? When we lose to Texas, Oklahoma, and TCU then you can talk about recruiting all you want.
Bill Snyder has recruited as many as 15 JC players per class. Even Bill Snyder understands that a bulk of his talent has to come from 2 and 4 year transfers. If they don't make it at least they are gone in two years instead of hogging a scholly for 5.

Last edited:

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Correct me if I'm wrong, but our recruiting classes have gotten better every year under Rhoads. We arent going to wake up one day and suddenly have 5 starts lining up.

Fire Rhoads and you can bet your *** our recruiting class will get much worse than you seem to think it is.
Wrong. Our 2012 class we signed was by far the worst and it isn't even close.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
So true! CPR's best teams were his first two, when at least half his starters were Mac's recruits...

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
IMO the overall plan is to improve facilities to improve recruiting. That along with Coaching stability will lead to better recruiting and results on the field. I don't think you can argue that our Defense and Facilities have improved under CPR. So has attendance. The Offense has floundered. Can't take accountability away from CPR and nor would he want you to.

If we are to out recruit teams we have to start consistently beating them. We have gained some respect nationally by upsetting teams every year. If we slip back into doormat that will be very damaging.

I don't think you can completely write off the progress that has been made, as there has been some. But it is very important to CPR's career he addresses the Offensive production.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
This
I think Wally does a great job developing talent. I think our offense, specifically oline, qb and wr struggle on development. I like some of our young wr so maybe this crop of more athletic wrs will be different. But our qb play never seems to improve from week to week and our oline seems to struggle all the time.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
So true! CPR's best teams were his first two, when at least half his starters were Mac's recruits...

In year two we lost 52-0. We also lost to Iowa 35-7. Yes, I know we beat UNI, but Rhoads 3rd in 4th teams were significantly better than his first two. Also keep in mind that his first two years the Big 12 was still in two divisions, which made a big difference in quality of opponent.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
In year two we lost 52-0. We also lost to Iowa 35-7. Yes, I know we beat UNI, but Rhoads 3rd in 4th teams were significantly better than his first two. Also keep in mind that his first two years the Big 12 was still in two divisions, which made a big difference in quality of opponent.

This is a fair point, but you must also admit that year 5 is by far his worst team and it doesn't even look close.

That 2009 Iowa team would have beaten us 59-0 last night.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Please. In 2009, we won at Nebraska, and looked halfway decent in a bowl game (and won!). In 2010, we handily beat Northern Ill, totally shut down UNI, won at Texas, and scored 52 points in beating TTech. We couldn't any of those things now. We've looked terrible in our last two bowls. CPR inherited more talent than he has accumulated since.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron